Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding helmets

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:49:17 -0500, Ignoramus9529

On 2011-04-27, wrote:

Why did you throw out tht HF helmet?

Because it broke. It was a solar helmet and it stopped darkening.

I bought one on eBay when I got my TIG. I am pretty sure it is similar
to the HF stuff. Has a darkness knob on the left outside. That is a
peeve, as that knob constantly gets bumped.

What I found is that you need to leave the unit where it can see light,
so I leave it pointed so it is looking straight at a light fixture.
This keeps the battery charged.

Jon

It was exposed to light all the time.

I'll have to go out to the shop and take a look, but if I recall there are
still batteries in it. On the cheaper one the batteries are not
replaceable. When they go bad you throw the helmet away. So far both of
mine still work.

they were not replaceable on mine.

Or you could simply take it back to HF and ask the manager to replace it
as being defective.

Wierder things than that have happened in HF.

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is