Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding helmets

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:04:49 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:15:26 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I've got two HF auto helmets. Their cheaper one, and their more expensive
one. I kinda like them both, but the more expensive one takes about 3/4-1
second to go clear when the arc shuts off. If I am stacking (overlapping)
tack welds doing thinner materials its kind of a pain having to wait after
each spot for my helmet to clear so I can see to position the gun again.

Set up a high-intensity light on the weld area. It will light up the
workpiece while keeping the lens dark. Win/win.

A standard 200-500 watt quartz work lamp is the ticket. I keep them
mounted over my mig and tig tables. Helps light up the work, doesnt wash
out the weld and keeps the helmet charged between welds

These sorts of lights..mounted high on posts...one each works fine

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-he...and-47410.html

You know what lights Im talking about now. Everybody has a few of them
kicking around from busted assemblies..

Gunner

--
"If I say two plus two is four and a Democrat says two plus two is eight,
it's not a partial victory for me when we agree that two plus two is