Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I hate can openers!!

--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know
of a reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

You can't beat an Edlund for durability. This is the #2, a slightly smaller
version than the #1:

http://www.amazon.com/Edlund-Commerc.../dp/B0001MRZ1Y

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

I have mounted a 60's vintage swing away wall mount crank style unit that we
removed from wife's grandma's house before it was bulldozed under the sink

--pretty sure they are still in business.

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img2/ite...ukP8MC1DHg.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

I wonder why this one is "currently unavailable?"
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE

On the TV ad, it looks almost miraculous. I wonder if they're sold out, or
got driven out of business because in reality it's a piece of crap?

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Danniken wrote:

steamer wrote:
--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know
of a reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

You can't beat an Edlund for durability. This is the #2, a slightly
smaller version than the #1:

http://www.amazon.com/Edlund-Commerc.../dp/B0001MRZ1Y

That's for restaurant kitchens, for opening those bulk cans that are about
a foot tall by 9" diameter. I doubt if a normal-sized can would even fit in
one.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Not electric, but the Swing-Away brand available at yard sales for 5 to 25
cents sure open cans easy, even for this old fart with carpal tunnel and all
that. Very little effort, and the handles are long, giving you good
leverage, and wide so they don't hurt your fingers where you grasp them.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but the one I have will probably outlast me,
and it was used when I got it years ago.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:2IadnTRvB74StxPQnZ2dnUVZ_hWdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"steamer" wrote in message
--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

I have mounted a 60's vintage swing away wall mount crank style unit that
we removed from wife's grandma's house before it was bulldozed under the
sink

--pretty sure they are still in business.

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img2/ite...ukP8MC1DHg.jpg

Is swing away a style description, or the actual brand name? Swing-Away
brand name openers ROCK!

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 26 Mar 2011 17:41:12 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

http://www.organizeit.com/wall-mount...can-opener.asp mounted
I adore the old wall-mounted style.

Amco has an ergonomic which might work for her: http://goo.gl/CkeV3

Take a nitro pill and sit down. Then go to this site for the price
scare of the century: http://goo.gl/JR22h BLOODY 'ELL!

Now get your wife an Oster: http://goo.gl/105ye
Good reviews by arthritics.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know of
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

I have mounted a 60's vintage swing away wall mount crank style unit that
we removed from wife's grandma's house before it was bulldozed under the
sink

--pretty sure they are still in business.

http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img2/ite...ukP8MC1DHg.jpg

Is swing away a style description, or the actual brand name? Swing-Away
brand name openers ROCK!

Not sure but will try and look for a brand name on it later get back this
evening hopefully--right now I'm in the shop dinking around with some
titanium screws for a local surgeon....still need to rack 10 gallons of beer
into kegs--then gonna smoke some pork and also form a 15lb hamburger chub
into individul patties and freeze...later will continue with the chevy
4l60E transmission rebuild...hopefully find that taco pump thats kicking
around here someplace make a set of flanges for it get some bottom heat in
the greenhouse...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:

steamer wrote:
--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to
make a decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does
anyone know of a reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

You can't beat an Edlund for durability. This is the #2, a slightly
smaller version than the #1:

http://www.amazon.com/Edlund-Commerc.../dp/B0001MRZ1Y

That's for restaurant kitchens, for opening those bulk cans that are
about a foot tall by 9" diameter. I doubt if a normal-sized can would
even fit in one.

Thanks,
Rich

They fit just fine . I agree a smaller version would be
a better fit in most kitchens .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote

...still need to rack 10 gallons of beer
into kegs--

My list of to do's is shortening, and my beer making is rotating up. I just
have about everything I need, just need to set up and do it. Am looking
forward to some homebrewed porter and darker ales. Made one Corny of
porter, and it was great. Just need to get the stuff set up so that it
doesn't take longer to get everything together than to actually brew and
ferment it ............ My aim is to have a full CO2 setup with about four
Cornies in the fridge at any given time. I have just about decided not to
bottle, or do so on very limited runs.

So much to do, so little time .............

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

....then gonna smoke some pork...

I once tried chain-smoking, but they were too hard to keep lit. ;-D

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

then gonna smoke some pork ...
--

Wet or Dry ? I have a great dry rub recipe , tastes great on pork
shoulders/butts , chicken , even briskets .

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/27/2011 6:56 AM, Steve B wrote:
the Swing-Away brand available at yard sales for 5 to 25
cents sure open cans easy, even for this old fart with carpal tunnel and all
that. Very little effort, and the handles are long, giving you good
leverage, and wide so they don't hurt your fingers where you grasp them.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but the one I have will probably outlast me,
and it was used when I got it years ago.

The Swingaway has its fulcrum at the end, which does give more leverage
than scissor types. And, when wear makes the cutting gap too wide, undo
the fixing nut for the cutting wheel and put its shim on the other side.
Good enough to be the first can opener in outer space!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote

..still need to rack 10 gallons of beer
into kegs--

My list of to do's is shortening, and my beer making is rotating up. I
just have about everything I need, just need to set up and do it. Am
looking forward to some homebrewed porter and darker ales. Made one Corny
of porter, and it was great. Just need to get the stuff set up so that it
doesn't take longer to get everything together than to actually brew and
ferment it ............ My aim is to have a full CO2 setup with about
four Cornies in the fridge at any given time. I have just about decided
not to bottle, or do so on very limited runs.

Finished kegging, one is an IPA the other an Imperial Russian Stout--both
are in the fridge chilling prior to force carbonation which I will probably
do using the MR Deburr vibro machine tomorrow or so...The older keg still
had a gallon or so of beer in it, I put it outside ontop of the heat pump
condensor unit which should keep it ten or so degrees below outdoors
ambient. My current fridge only holds 2 kegs, I sold my True glass door
commercial fridge a while back...

Lost some time messing around with one of the cornies ( recent craigslist
aquisition ) that was leaking where the "out fitting" attaches...I had
bought 5 of them for $50 from the guy and the rest of them seem fine so I'm
still doing good on the deal...I think I have 8 kegs total now but at least
two of them are leakers...rarely do I have more than 3 of them in use...

As to bottling, same here--it's just too much work....I still have a
gazillion bottles I need to take to recycler or give away on craiglist soon
I guess.

Fun and interesting hobby...

Oh almost forgot--the can opener I have was made by "can o matic"...judging
from the look of it probably from the mid 50's if I had to hazard a guess.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37399441@N07/3485707625/

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

then gonna smoke some pork ...
--

Wet or Dry ? I have a great dry rub recipe , tastes great on pork
shoulders/butts , chicken , even briskets .
Smokin' with dry rub is really big in Memphis ... though when it comes to
ribs I prefer wet grillin' .

Paste, more accurately...

Beer or wine, Johnney's, Pepper steak seasoning, Brown sugar...

Little Chief--two pans of Alder chips...

Bag and freeze else refrigerate and use within a week or so...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 26, 11:41*am, steamer wrote:
* * * * --Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

Swing-Away is The One for conventional openers. I picked up a pinch-
opener from Big Lots that doesn't depend on mongo strength in the
hands to punch the can and get started, has a long handle on the wheel
that's ratcheted. Like a built-in ratchet wrench. I figure a small
kid should be able to use it. One pass and it's open. I've had an
electric version, didn't last more than a couple of years. They
don't make the electric ones for longevity, just for cheap. The
pinch type doesn't leave a ragged edge on the lid and the lid can be
set back on top if the contents aren't totally used up.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

then gonna smoke some pork ...
--

Wet or Dry ? I have a great dry rub recipe , tastes great on pork
shoulders/butts , chicken , even briskets .
Smokin' with dry rub is really big in Memphis ... though when it
comes to ribs I prefer wet grillin' .

Paste, more accurately...

Beer or wine, Johnney's, Pepper steak seasoning, Brown sugar...

Little Chief--two pans of Alder chips...

Bag and freeze else refrigerate and use within a week or so...

--

Try this one :
5 onion powder

Units of measure up to you ... I sprinkle it on pretty heavy , pat it to
help it stick . I guess you could mix in a little beer or wine to make a
paste ...I like Kingsfords mesquite charcoal , and use a Brinkman horizontal
with a burner box on one end . Did a brisket last sunday , 4 hours open ,
then 4 more wrapped in foil , all at around 190°-200°.
Great with my wife's 'tater salad and baked beans (cooked on the grill
too) , plus it made some very tasty fajitas for dinner later in the week .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TinyURL was created!
The following URL:

http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Swing--60...ic-Opener/dp/B
000NA47YM/ref=sr_1_13?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1301235152&s
r=1-13

has a length of 126 characters and resulted in the following
TinyURL which has a length of 26 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/4pjhtp5

This one is manual, but it has big handles, etc. My
parents had one when I was a kid, and I recently found them
again. The operation isn't really intuitive, almost need to
see someone use one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"steamer" wrote in message
--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some
crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength
to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does
anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless,
Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed
Uncertified Welding!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are
some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand
strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does
anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless,
Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed
Uncertified Welding!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

S:

When in the market for consumer items,
I check this site which seems to be
an online front for "Consumer Reports":

www.consumersearch.com

It usually provides a general item ranking
and price along with an index of other
reviews, the last which can save you
valuable time hunting the net.

If you type in "can opener" on the site
search bar, you will get results.

The Edlund looked neat. So do a lot
of things that don't require one eye to
peek through the fingers of a hand over
it when looking at the price.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 26 Mar 2011 17:41:12 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Crimmeney for a fairly simple machine there sure are some crummy
examples on the market. SWMBO doesn't have the hand strength to make a
decent cut any more and I haven't done much better. Does anyone know of a
reeeeally robust can opener, preferably electric?

http://www.organizeit.com/wall-mount...can-opener.asp mounted
I adore the old wall-mounted style.

Amco has an ergonomic which might work for her: http://goo.gl/CkeV3

That is a Swing-A-Way opener. You can see the imprint on the
handle. That's over twice the price you can by them for at places like
Target or K-mart.

Take a nitro pill and sit down. Then go to this site for the price
scare of the century: http://goo.gl/JR22h BLOODY 'ELL!

Now get your wife an Oster: http://goo.gl/105ye
Good reviews by arthritics.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.
-- Epictetus

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Update: Tin / Can openers. T i m UK diy 5 April 24th 10 10:27 AM
Tin / can openers? T i m UK diy 102 April 20th 10 02:14 PM
Tin openers Tim Decker UK diy 55 September 21st 08 03:06 PM
Gate Openers [email protected] UK diy 0 April 7th 08 01:28 AM
Gate Openers [email protected] UK diy 1 April 3rd 08 05:38 PM