Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan[_7_] Jordan[_7_] is offline

Default I hate can openers!!

On 3/27/2011 6:56 AM, Steve B wrote:
the Swing-Away brand available at yard sales for 5 to 25
cents sure open cans easy, even for this old fart with carpal tunnel and all
that. Very little effort, and the handles are long, giving you good
leverage, and wide so they don't hurt your fingers where you grasp them.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but the one I have will probably outlast me,
and it was used when I got it years ago.

The Swingaway has its fulcrum at the end, which does give more leverage
than scissor types. And, when wear makes the cutting gap too wide, undo
the fixing nut for the cutting wheel and put its shim on the other side.
Good enough to be the first can opener in outer space!