Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some metalwork, mostly just the kind of craziness that RCM'ers like

Not your average sail boat:

http://www.gizmag.com/love-love-part...icture/124341/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:47:21 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Not your average sail boat:

http://www.gizmag.com/love-love-part...icture/124341/

Un-****ing believable. First thing is why not just send your $ to me,
I could put it to better use. Plus, bothering everybody in sight just
to mess with them, bet the coast guard and 911 would love to beat the
hell out of that dude.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Not your average sail boat:

http://www.gizmag.com/love-love-part...icture/124341/

Reminds me of those boats that were floated into place, then flooded on one
end, bobbing in the water like a thermometer. IIRC, they were oceanic
measuring devices, or antennae.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Not your average sail boat:

http://www.gizmag.com/love-love-part...icture/124341/

Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 12, 11:16*am, Ignoramus8927
Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 12, 12:53*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:16*am, Ignoramus8927

Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

DIY French art:
http://www.sitruuna.com/2cvstuff/big...card-no-13.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:16?am, Ignoramus8927
Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

OK, then by one order of magnitude
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Not your average sail boat:

http://www.gizmag.com/love-love-part...icture/124341/

I bet the Coast Guard loves him...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:57:28 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jan 12, 12:53*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:16*am, Ignoramus8927

Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

DIY French art:
http://www.sitruuna.com/2cvstuff/big...card-no-13.jpg

Wow, imagine the thrill of owning your own beautiful Citroen!

Ooh! Ahh!

(OK, the Citroen engineers were great in setting up the hydraulically
controlled suspension, where you could press a button and change your
tire without a jack. But that's IT!)

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Not your average sail boat:

http://www.gizmag.com/love-love-part...icture/124341/

I bet the Coast Guard loves him...

And I bet that puppy is unstable as hell in anything but slick calm.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 12, 1:43*pm, Ignoramus8927
On 2011-01-12, Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Jan 12, 11:16?am, Ignoramus8927
Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

OK, then by one order of magnitude

Another Paris masterpiece of dystopian dieselpunk architectu
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anmaritane.jpg

No, it isn't a refinery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_Georges_Pompidou

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
On 2011-01-12, Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Jan 12, 11:16?am, Ignoramus8927
Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

OK, then by one order of magnitude

Another Paris masterpiece of dystopian dieselpunk architectu
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anmaritane.jpg

No, it isn't a refinery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_Georges_Pompidou

jsw

I actually like it.

I agree. I first thought it looked ugly in pictures, but I changed my mind
when I saw it in person. Standing in the square in front you see the
traditional church and typical parisian buildings on one side, but look the
other way and the impression is just "WOW! that is different!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:16?am, Ignoramus8927
Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

OK, then by one order of magnitude

Another Paris masterpiece of dystopian dieselpunk architectu

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anmaritane.jpg

No, it isn't a refinery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_Georges_Pompidou

Bussard Ramjets? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Not your average sail boat:

http://www.gizmag.com/love-love-part...icture/124341/

I bet the Coast Guard loves him...

And I bet that puppy is unstable as hell in anything but slick calm.

I wonder what the draft is, and where's the wheelhouse? If it's got a
fairly deep draft, and a dense keel or ballast, it could be as stable as,
say, a twin-hull cat, or this thing:
http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/flip-ship/

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Not your average sail boat:

http://www.gizmag.com/love-love-part...icture/124341/

Reminds me of those boats that were floated into place, then flooded on
one
end, bobbing in the water like a thermometer. IIRC, they were oceanic
measuring devices, or antennae.

google FLIP ship.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2011 11:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:57:28 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jan 12, 12:53 pm, Jim wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:16 am,

Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

DIY French art:
http://www.sitruuna.com/2cvstuff/big...card-no-13.jpg

Wow, imagine the thrill of owning your own beautiful Citroen!

Ooh! Ahh!

(OK, the Citroen engineers were great in setting up the hydraulically
controlled suspension, where you could press a button and change your
tire without a jack. But that's IT!)

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
the only moral country in the history of the world.
-- Ayn Rand

Citroen DS19 first ever to have variable hydraulic suspension, full
aerodynamic design, uncoupled steering wheel, designed not to injure the
driver in a head on collision, fully reclinable seats, fully padded
interior, headlights that follow the steering, seat belts, rear stop
lights at eye level. It was a great car in the '60s way ahead of any
other passenger vehicle.

cheers
T.Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:16?am, Ignoramus8927
Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

OK, then by one order of magnitude

Another Paris masterpiece of dystopian dieselpunk architectu

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anmaritane.jpg

No, it isn't a refinery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_Georges_Pompidou

Bussard Ramjets? ;-)

No, for at least two reasons:

1) Bussards have a streamlined style to them.

2) That building moves WAAAAY too slow for them to work.

Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,
the only moral country in the history of the world.
-- Ayn Rand
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-12, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:16?am, Ignoramus8927
Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

OK, then by one order of magnitude

Another Paris masterpiece of dystopian dieselpunk architectu

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anmaritane.jpg

No, it isn't a refinery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_Georges_Pompidou

Bussard Ramjets? ;-)

No, for at least two reasons:

1) Bussards have a streamlined style to them.

2) That building moves WAAAAY too slow for them to work.

Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

Hey Iggy, there is no income tax in Texas... There is also a lower cost
of living and a lot more elbow room for a nice big shop.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

My comment: finally someone had enough sense to get taxes in line with
expenses.

Hey Iggy, there is no income tax in Texas... There is also a lower cost
of living and a lot more elbow room for a nice big shop.

I like everything about Texas, except weather is too hot and I do not
like the unhealthy, bloodthirsty obsession with death penalty. I
especially like their love of guns, "albow room", and beautiful women.

We are thinking of perhaps getting a house on a bigger plot of land.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

My comment: finally someone had enough sense to get taxes in line with
expenses.

It's generally better to get expenses in line with taxes...

Hey Iggy, there is no income tax in Texas... There is also a lower cost
of living and a lot more elbow room for a nice big shop.

I like everything about Texas, except weather is too hot

It's going to be 16F here tonight. It made it up to 31F today...

and I do not
like the unhealthy, bloodthirsty obsession with death penalty.

Eh, it mostly bothers me from a waste of money angle. The problem is
it's not a deterrent, and it costs more than just keeping them in jail.
I have no issue however with personally implementing the death penalty
should some intruder show up in my home.

especially like their love of guns, "albow room", and beautiful women.

We are thinking of perhaps getting a house on a bigger plot of land.

I always prioritize land over house. You can expand your house easily
enough over time, but you can't readily expand your land without
starting over in a new location.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:16:50 -0800, "T.Alan Kraus"
wrote:

On 1/12/2011 11:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:57:28 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jan 12, 12:53 pm, Jim wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:16 am,

[...]

Huh, they had more engineering than I thought. But their designer hit
it with an UGLY STICK. I'll bet that only engineers bought 'em.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 20:55:58 -0600, Ignoramus8927

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

My comment: finally someone had enough sense to get taxes in line with
expenses.

You have no qualms about how they're spending the tax money and how
large and corrupt the Illinois gov't is right now? You and Lew (oops,
the one on the Wreck, Hodgett) are a pair.

Hey Iggy, there is no income tax in Texas... There is also a lower cost
of living and a lot more elbow room for a nice big shop.

I like everything about Texas, except weather is too hot and I do not
like the unhealthy, bloodthirsty obsession with death penalty. I
especially like their love of guns, "albow room", and beautiful women.

We are thinking of perhaps getting a house on a bigger plot of land.

A large shop (or three) and a little house on a few acres, right?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message

On 1/12/2011 11:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:57:28 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jan 12, 12:53 pm, Jim wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:16 am,

[...]

I don't doubt all that is true, but I believe the Tucker was first with the
steerable headlights.

http://chromeplatedclassics.com/tuck...er-Torpedo.htm

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
Citroen DS19 first ever to have variable hydraulic suspension, full
aerodynamic design, uncoupled steering wheel, designed not to injure the
driver in a head on collision, fully reclinable seats, fully padded
interior, headlights that follow the steering, seat belts, rear stop
lights at eye level. It was a great car in the '60s way ahead of any
other passenger vehicle.

Huh, they had more engineering than I thought. But their designer hit
it with an UGLY STICK. I'll bet that only engineers bought 'em.

Nope. School-teachers too.
....and don't underestimate the usefulness of the variable suspension. That
makes them able to go places most 4WDs would bottom out on. And the ride
was lounge-chair smooth...

I loved mine, but it succumbed to too-expensive maintenance.

I now drive Fords, which are inferior in every respect except maintenance.
....and I'm a tight *******.

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

My comment: finally someone had enough sense to get taxes in line with
expenses.

It's generally better to get expenses in line with taxes...

That is also a good point.

[...]

Yep.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

My comment: finally someone had enough sense to get taxes in line with
expenses.

You have no qualms about how they're spending the tax money and how
large and corrupt the Illinois gov't is right now? You and Lew (oops,
the one on the Wreck, Hodgett) are a pair.

I have a lot of qualms about that.

Hey Iggy, there is no income tax in Texas... There is also a lower cost
of living and a lot more elbow room for a nice big shop.

I like everything about Texas, except weather is too hot and I do not
like the unhealthy, bloodthirsty obsession with death penalty. I
especially like their love of guns, "albow room", and beautiful women.

We are thinking of perhaps getting a house on a bigger plot of land.

A large shop (or three) and a little house on a few acres, right?

Maybe something like 1.25 acre.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I have two, and it's getting crowded.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

My comment: finally someone had enough sense to get taxes in line with
expenses.

Hey Iggy, there is no income tax in Texas... There is also a lower cost
of living and a lot more elbow room for a nice big shop.

I like everything about Texas, except weather is too hot and I do not
like the unhealthy, bloodthirsty obsession with death penalty. I
especially like their love of guns, "albow room", and beautiful women.

We are thinking of perhaps getting a house on a bigger plot of land.

Texas is the kind of place that grows on you , ig. I lived there for
several years, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well, the humidity and skeeters
were a downside, but lots of things on the upside. Texans are not really
obsessed about the death penalty, and are willing to dispense it on the
spot, saving all manner of expense. I'd move back to Texas of Louisiana in
a heartbeat, but only to the rural areas. EEEEEEEEEEHHHAAAAWWWWWWWWWW. g

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I've got 4 acres here, with a nice shop about 80' from the house, nice
pond and some woods in back. Once I sell my other property I'll be
looking for a larger place further out in the middle of nowhere and this
place will be for sale... Outside city limits, no permits required
(other than septic)...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
I've got 4 acres here, with a nice shop about 80' from the house, nice
pond and some woods in back. Once I sell my other property I'll be
looking for a larger place further out in the middle of nowhere and this
place will be for sale... Outside city limits, no permits required
(other than septic)...

I would love to have a big enough place where I could park my future
military vehicles...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I have about 2000 square feet in three buildings, and I'm out of
space. Some materials are under the 8' * 40' roofed space behind the
main shop.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

My comment: finally someone had enough sense to get taxes in line with
expenses.

You have no qualms about how they're spending the tax money and how
large and corrupt the Illinois gov't is right now? You and Lew (oops,
the one on the Wreck, Hodgett) are a pair.

I have a lot of qualms about that.

I had hoped so. But your sole initial statement was pro-corrupt-gov't.
Interesting.

Hey Iggy, there is no income tax in Texas... There is also a lower cost
of living and a lot more elbow room for a nice big shop.

I like everything about Texas, except weather is too hot and I do not
like the unhealthy, bloodthirsty obsession with death penalty. I
especially like their love of guns, "albow room", and beautiful women.

We are thinking of perhaps getting a house on a bigger plot of land.

A large shop (or three) and a little house on a few acres, right?

Maybe something like 1.25 acre.

In the city, or farther out in the Burbs? Staying in Illinois?

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff R. wrote:

I now drive Fords, which are inferior in every respect except maintenance.
...and I'm a tight *******.

Not to be contrary, but I've always had excellent luck with Fords - as long
as you keep them in oil! I had a Pinto once, and we'd joke that you'd pull
into the gas station and say, "Fill up the oil and check the gas." ;-)

But the last time I owned one was in 1988-89-90, so things may have changed.

I must admit I'm extremely proud of them for declining that government
bailout money!

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
Jeff R. wrote:

I now drive Fords, which are inferior in every respect except
maintenance.
...and I'm a tight *******.

Not to be contrary, but I've always had excellent luck with Fords - as
long
as you keep them in oil! I had a Pinto once, and we'd joke that you'd pull
into the gas station and say, "Fill up the oil and check the gas." ;-)

But the last time I owned one was in 1988-89-90, so things may have
changed.

I must admit I'm extremely proud of them for declining that government
bailout money!

Cheers!
Rich

No no!
You misunderstand.
All of my Fords have been excellent in terms of maintenance and reliability.

The Citroen was excellent in every other respect.

--
Jeff R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:03:22 -0600, Ignoramus8927

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
I've got 4 acres here, with a nice shop about 80' from the house, nice
pond and some woods in back. Once I sell my other property I'll be
looking for a larger place further out in the middle of nowhere and this
place will be for sale... Outside city limits, no permits required
(other than septic)...

I would love to have a big enough place where I could park my future
military vehicles...

I can just hear your wife now "What do you mean by 'I have a flatbed
railroad car full of old Abrams tanks being delivered today.'?"

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

My comment: finally someone had enough sense to get taxes in line with
expenses.

Hey Iggy, there is no income tax in Texas... There is also a lower cost
of living and a lot more elbow room for a nice big shop.

I like everything about Texas, except weather is too hot and I do not
like the unhealthy, bloodthirsty obsession with death penalty. I
especially like their love of guns, "albow room", and beautiful women.

We are thinking of perhaps getting a house on a bigger plot of land.

It was about 13 F last night.
But the sun will return (someday) and it will warm back up.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
Hey, while we're off-topic, I just read in tonight's paper that
IlliNOISE just increased its income tax by 66%, but I haven't heard
Iggy scream reach me yet.

My comment: finally someone had enough sense to get taxes in line with
expenses.

Hey Iggy, there is no income tax in Texas... There is also a lower cost
of living and a lot more elbow room for a nice big shop.

I like everything about Texas, except weather is too hot and I do not
like the unhealthy, bloodthirsty obsession with death penalty. I
especially like their love of guns, "albow room", and beautiful women.

We are thinking of perhaps getting a house on a bigger plot of land.

It was about 13 F last night.
But the sun will return (someday) and it will warm back up.

We can only hope so. It was in the low 20s in Ocala last night.

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
I've got 4 acres here, with a nice shop about 80' from the house, nice
pond and some woods in back. Once I sell my other property I'll be
looking for a larger place further out in the middle of nowhere and this
place will be for sale... Outside city limits, no permits required
(other than septic)...

I would love to have a big enough place where I could park my future
military vehicles...

I can just hear your wife now "What do you mean by 'I have a flatbed
railroad car full of old Abrams tanks being delivered today.'?"

I would really like to have a M35A2 with a crane mounted on the bed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Well, I did not live in Texas, but I did live in Oklahoma, and I still
miss it.

RCM'ers map? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 77 October 31st 09 02:49 PM
In praise of RCM'ers Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 24 April 7th 09 01:34 AM
scroll saw craziness Troy Woodworking 2 October 4th 06 01:57 AM
Ebay Craziness Roy Metalworking 7 September 2nd 03 06:19 PM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM