Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some metalwork, mostly just the kind of craziness that RCM'erslike

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 08:58:40 -0600, Ignoramus2894

On 2011-01-13, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:03:22 -0600, Ignoramus8927

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
I've got 4 acres here, with a nice shop about 80' from the house, nice
pond and some woods in back. Once I sell my other property I'll be
looking for a larger place further out in the middle of nowhere and this
place will be for sale... Outside city limits, no permits required
(other than septic)...

I would love to have a big enough place where I could park my future
military vehicles...

I can just hear your wife now "What do you mean by 'I have a flatbed
railroad car full of old Abrams tanks being delivered today.'?"

I would really like to have a M35A2 with a crane mounted on the bed.

A Deuce would be cool, but I don't think I'd want to drive it much.
Got a kidney belt?

Did you read the exploits of the guy who drove one down to Lousyanna
after Katrina? He's a real live American hero in my book.
http://www.lonestar-mvpa.org/events/2005/05_Katrina.htm

--
A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.
-- William S. Burroughs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/12/2011 7:18 PM, Garrett Fulton wrote:

"T.Alan Kraus" wrote in message

On 1/12/2011 11:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:57:28 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jan 12, 12:53 pm, Jim wrote:
On Jan 12, 11:16 am,

Wow, this exceeds the average level of craziness that I would expect,
by two orders of magnitude.

But he's French.

DIY French art:
http://www.sitruuna.com/2cvstuff/big...card-no-13.jpg

Wow, imagine the thrill of owning your own beautiful Citroen!

Ooh! Ahh!

(OK, the Citroen engineers were great in setting up the hydraulically
controlled suspension, where you could press a button and change your
tire without a jack. But that's IT!)

--
The United States of America is the greatest, the
noblest and, in its original founding principles,

Citroen DS19 first ever to have variable hydraulic suspension, full
aerodynamic design, uncoupled steering wheel, designed not to injure the
driver in a head on collision, fully reclinable seats, fully padded
interior, headlights that follow the steering, seat belts, rear stop
lights at eye level. It was a great car in the '60s way ahead of any
other passenger vehicle.

cheers
T.Alan

I don't doubt all that is true, but I believe the Tucker was first with
the steerable headlights.

http://chromeplatedclassics.com/tuck...er-Torpedo.htm

Garrett Fulton

True,I stand corrected sir,

T.Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:07:15 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:
snip
My comment: finally someone had enough sense to get taxes in line with
expenses.

It's generally better to get expenses in line with taxes...

snip
===========
While an increase in taxes seems logical, and is at one
level, the problem is that governmental expenses always
exceed income, even where law prohibits this, as it does for
49 of the 50 states, i.e. no state deficits. Historically,
governmental expenditures have increased by about $1.10 to
$1.25 for each additional dollar of revenue, so it is futile
to attempt to reach a balanced budget and pay down
governmental debt by increasing taxes and fees, without
imposing Draconian restrictions and controls on
expenditures. Corruption also appears to be a major factor.

The foundational cause seems to be that while the state
Constitutions prohibits deficits, none of these specify
criminal or civil penalties such as immediate removal
from/disqualification for public office, fines, and prison
time, for doing so. Another problem is that the "no
deficit" prohibition is frequently evaded by capital
improvement or revenue bonds, or by allowing political
subdivisions such as counties and cities or synthetic
creations such as the various "authorities" to issue bonds
and/or accumulate debt in their name rather than the state.
Even in states where state obligation bonds must be approved
by the voters to be backed by the "full faith and credit" of
the government, this requirement is frequently evaded when
the people will no longer approve additional debt by
issuance of so called "moral obligation" bonds that are
backed by the assumed moral obligation of the state to
repay, absent any legal requirement to do so because of
voter refusal, e. g. NY state.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/...gationbond.asp
http://www.state.il.us/budget/OS%20G... 204.14.10.pdf
{see page 58}

As far as the particular case of Illinois, while it is
correct that even with the income tax increase their rates
will be about equal to their neighboring states, the problem
is that these states and even those with much higher rates
are basically bankrupt also, e.g. NY, NJ, California. This
also ignores the question of total tax take when all state
and local taxes such as sales/use, real estate,
earnings/income and personal property are combined.

To be fair, this state/local economic disaster is not
totally the fault of the politicians in that the
socio-economic circumstances and conditions they posited
many years ago when the obligations such as bonds and
pensions were first contracted/assumed have drastically and
apparently irrevocably changed. This is not unique to
government, but many business leaders such as GMC, Chrysler,
AIR, Lehman Brothers, Bear-Stearns, Merrell, GE Capital,
etc. were also asleep at the switch.

The participants in this newsgroup will be most aware of the
deindustrialization and shift to low paying service sector
jobs (and increasingly no jobs at all), but other
demographic changes, now obvious in hindsight but still
ignored/denied, such as ethnic composition/illegal
immigration [huge increase in school costs] and age
distribution [huge increase in pension and social services
costs] appear to have just as much, if not more, impact.
The ongoing political failure to maintain the critical
public infrastructure, i.e. roads, bridges, ports/airports,
etc, even as new largely non-productive projects were
implement [on credit] such as sports stadium complexes,
further drained the available funds and creating huge
amounts of future "deferred maintenance" obligations.

We are living in a new age, and failure to recognize this
and adapt/change, while continuing "business as usual" will
be as fatal to us as it was to the Romans.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

=============
No matter how cynical I am, I still can't keep up.

The ink is not yet dry on the Illinois income tax increase
and already ...
http://noir.bloomberg.com/apps/news?...d=aBy54JlK.lYA
Illinois Governor to Seek $8.75 Billion Bond for Overdue
Bills
By Tim Jones and Esmé E. Deprez

Jan. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Illinois Governor Pat Quinn will ask
lawmakers next month to authorize an $8.75 billion bond sale
to pay $6 billion in backlogged bills.

The state House of Representatives defeated a borrowing bill
in the final hours of the legislative session Tuesday that
was designed to eliminate the pile of invoices that is at
least five months old.

snip
=============

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
I've got 4 acres here, with a nice shop about 80' from the house, nice
pond and some woods in back. Once I sell my other property I'll be
looking for a larger place further out in the middle of nowhere and this
place will be for sale... Outside city limits, no permits required
(other than septic)...

I would love to have a big enough place where I could park my future
military vehicles...

I can just hear your wife now "What do you mean by 'I have a flatbed
railroad car full of old Abrams tanks being delivered today.'?"

I would really like to have a M35A2 with a crane mounted on the bed.

I know someone who has one of those, I'm afraid to ask what use is
there for something like that. I've never been up close to it, but it
looks like everything is over shoulder height.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
I've got 4 acres here, with a nice shop about 80' from the house, nice
pond and some woods in back. Once I sell my other property I'll be
looking for a larger place further out in the middle of nowhere and this
place will be for sale... Outside city limits, no permits required
(other than septic)...

I would love to have a big enough place where I could park my future
military vehicles...

I can just hear your wife now "What do you mean by 'I have a flatbed
railroad car full of old Abrams tanks being delivered today.'?"

I would really like to have a M35A2 with a crane mounted on the bed.

I know someone who has one of those, I'm afraid to ask what use is
there for something like that. I've never been up close to it, but it
looks like everything is over shoulder height.

moving surplus equipment is the use that comes to mind.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 14, 9:39*am, Sunworshipper wrote:
I would really like to have a M35A2 with a crane mounted on the bed.

I know someone who has one of those, I'm afraid to ask what use is
there for something like that. I've never been up close to it, but it
looks like everything is over shoulder height.

SW

I drove them around Germany. They aren't my favorite ride especially
on deteriorating concrete Autobahn sections, but they go anywhere and
do anything. The bed height doesn't matter if you can call on a squad
of troops to load and unload them.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 06:59:43 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jan 14, 9:39*am, Sunworshipper wrote:
I would really like to have a M35A2 with a crane mounted on the bed.

I know someone who has one of those, I'm afraid to ask what use is
there for something like that. I've never been up close to it, but it
looks like everything is over shoulder height.

SW

I drove them around Germany. They aren't my favorite ride especially
on deteriorating concrete Autobahn sections, but they go anywhere and
do anything. The bed height doesn't matter if you can call on a squad
of troops to load and unload them.

jsw

But, Jim...

What if you didn't have a squad waiting around the home front or out
and about? They do sound like they have reliable diesels in them.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
I've got 4 acres here, with a nice shop about 80' from the house, nice
pond and some woods in back. Once I sell my other property I'll be
looking for a larger place further out in the middle of nowhere and this
place will be for sale... Outside city limits, no permits required
(other than septic)...

I would love to have a big enough place where I could park my future
military vehicles...

I can just hear your wife now "What do you mean by 'I have a flatbed
railroad car full of old Abrams tanks being delivered today.'?"

I would really like to have a M35A2 with a crane mounted on the bed.

I know someone who has one of those, I'm afraid to ask what use is
there for something like that. I've never been up close to it, but it
looks like everything is over shoulder height.

I just heard this:

FOR SALE: Iraqi Personnel Carrier
5 speed (two forward, three reverse)

--
A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on.
-- William S. Burroughs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 14, 10:25*am, Sunworshipper wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 06:59:43 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
I drove them around Germany. They aren't my favorite ride especially
on deteriorating concrete Autobahn sections, but they go anywhere and
do anything. The bed height doesn't matter if you can call on a squad
of troops to load and unload them.

jsw

But, Jim...
What if you didn't have a squad waiting around the home front or out
and about? They do sound like they have reliable diesels in them.

SW

Iggy and I both have cranes in our trucks already.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...6L._SL160_.jpg

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:25?am, Sunworshipper wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 06:59:43 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
I drove them around Germany. They aren't my favorite ride especially
on deteriorating concrete Autobahn sections, but they go anywhere and
do anything. The bed height doesn't matter if you can call on a squad
of troops to load and unload them.

jsw

But, Jim...
What if you didn't have a squad waiting around the home front or out
and about? They do sound like they have reliable diesels in them.

SW

Iggy and I both have cranes in our trucks already.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...6L._SL160_.jpg

Jim, did you have to modify your crane? How did you mount it?

For my crane, I had to add a big bottom plate (appx 18x18x5/8"),
change the winch and I had to change the jack once already. I also
replaced the original winch cable and hook because the cable rusted
too much too fast.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 14, 12:52*pm, Ignoramus25999 ignoramus25...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-01-14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
..
Jim, did you have to modify your crane? How did you mount it?

For my crane, I had to add a big bottom plate (appx 18x18x5/8"),
change the winch and I had to change the jack once already. I also
replaced the original winch cable and hook because the cable rusted
too much too fast. *

The bed of my Ranger is attached to the frame by six large bolts, like
this:
http://www.desertrides.com/reference...e/IM000944.jpg
(minus the hole for the aftermarket spring shackle)

I added plates under the bolt heads, welded cross bars between them,
and built the crane mount onto the bars, in the corner where he cut
the hole.. 1/2" plywood between and ahead of the cross bars raises the
floor enough to slide stuff in.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
I've got 4 acres here, with a nice shop about 80' from the house, nice
pond and some woods in back. Once I sell my other property I'll be
looking for a larger place further out in the middle of nowhere and
this place will be for sale... Outside city limits, no permits required
(other than septic)...

I would love to have a big enough place where I could park my future
military vehicles...

I can just hear your wife now "What do you mean by 'I have a flatbed
railroad car full of old Abrams tanks being delivered today.'?"

I would really like to have a M35A2 with a crane mounted on the bed.

If you had one with the crane, would you mount outriggers, or wouldn't
the crane have that kind of reach?

Say, are Ignoramus2894 and Ignoramus8927 the same person? I can't help but
notice that the numbers are different.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
I've got 4 acres here, with a nice shop about 80' from the house, nice
pond and some woods in back. Once I sell my other property I'll be
looking for a larger place further out in the middle of nowhere and this
place will be for sale... Outside city limits, no permits required
(other than septic)...

I would love to have a big enough place where I could park my future
military vehicles...

I can just hear your wife now "What do you mean by 'I have a flatbed
railroad car full of old Abrams tanks being delivered today.'?"

I would really like to have a M35A2 with a crane mounted on the bed.

I know someone who has one of those, I'm afraid to ask what use is
there for something like that. I've never been up close to it, but it
looks like everything is over shoulder height.

moving surplus equipment is the use that comes to mind.

Draining your fuel budget also comes to mind...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2011-01-13, Pete C. wrote:
[...]

It is WORTH IT

RCM'ers map? Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 77 October 31st 09 02:49 PM
In praise of RCM'ers Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 24 April 7th 09 01:34 AM
scroll saw craziness Troy Woodworking 2 October 4th 06 01:57 AM
Ebay Craziness Roy Metalworking 7 September 2nd 03 06:19 PM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM