Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RCM'ers map?

I read a post this morning from someone who located himself on the MA
northshore. And I got to thinking about how there are other RCM'ers
around here (Carlisle, MA). And wouldn't it be cool to have a map
showing where we are? And Google Maps lets you do this very easily!

So I propose creating such a map. My initial thoughts a
- New England (CT,RI,MA,VT,NH,ME), but it could be as inclusive as desired

- I'll create & maintain it, with "Public" access (although you'll need
the URL, but "In the future, public maps will be included in the search
results on Google Maps ...")

- the format will be an icon for the town, with text showing the name
and/or email address (both optional) of all RCM'ers there. E.g.:
http://tinyurl.com/ne-rcmers
(I thought the gear icon was appropriate)

- you can email me your town & the text you'd like shown
), or post as reply

Any comments?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 19, 11:15*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
[...]

On the off-chance I could provide usefulness to any of the
contributors here as opposed to soaking up knowledge) I'm in central
NY state.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"XR650L_Dave" wrote in message
[...]

For another group I read this was used. http://www.frappr.com/ Seemed work
well and I looked up a few folks when I was traveling.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:15:11 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

[...]

As long as I don't find bombs in my back yard when Gunner gets ****ed.

I'm far enough away from Oregon City, OR that I can have project cars
parked in my driveway indefinitely, yet not so close to Estacada that my
neighbors all have the same last name.

(come to think of it, "as long as I don't find bombs in my back yard when
it turns out there's someone from Estacada that can read").

((oops -- did it again))

(((In case anyone from Estacada is reading this, keep in mind that I grew
up in Damascus in the 70's. Now, Damascus was Hicksville at the time,
but close enough to Portland that we wanted to feel sophisticated. So we
had to have _someone_ to pick on, and folks from Boring would have come
over and beat us up if we chose them. Hence the conflation of Estacada
with Hicksville.)))

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 19, 9:00*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

Come on, Tim. The rest of the world can't even promounce "Estacada"
properly!

Paul in Redmond, OR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:00:17 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Bombs? Im more of a heavy barrel and good optics sort of fellow.
Nothing left to chance and the chances of collateral damage are minimal.

Bombs????????

I'm far enough away from Oregon City, OR that I can have project cars
parked in my driveway indefinitely, yet not so close to Estacada that my
neighbors all have the same last name.

(come to think of it, "as long as I don't find bombs in my back yard when
it turns out there's someone from Estacada that can read").

((oops -- did it again))

(((In case anyone from Estacada is reading this, keep in mind that I grew
up in Damascus in the 70's. Now, Damascus was Hicksville at the time,
but close enough to Portland that we wanted to feel sophisticated. So we
had to have _someone_ to pick on, and folks from Boring would have come
over and beat us up if we chose them. Hence the conflation of Estacada
with Hicksville.)))

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:13:37 -0700, wrote:

On Oct 19, 9:00Â*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:15:11 -0400, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I read a post this morning from someone who located himself on the MA
northshore. Â*And I got to thinking about how there are other RCM'ers
around here (Carlisle, MA). Â*And wouldn't it be cool to have a map
showing where we are? Â*And Google Maps lets you do this very easily!

So I propose creating such a map. Â*My initial thoughts a - New
England (CT,RI,MA,VT,NH,ME), but it could be as inclusive as desired

- I'll create & maintain it, with "Public" access (although you'll
need the URL, but "In the future, public maps will be included in the
search results on Google Maps ...")

- the format will be an icon for the town, with text showing the name
and/or email address (both optional) of all RCM'ers there. Â*E.g.:
http://tinyurl.com/ne-rcmers
(I thought the gear icon was appropriate)

- you can email me your town & the text you'd like shown
), or post as reply

As long as I don't find bombs in my back yard when Gunner gets ****ed.

I'm far enough away from Oregon City, OR that I can have project cars
parked in my driveway indefinitely, yet not so close to Estacada that
my neighbors all have the same last name.

(come to think of it, "as long as I don't find bombs in my back yard
when it turns out there's someone from Estacada that can read").

((oops -- did it again))

(((In case anyone from Estacada is reading this, keep in mind that I
grew up in Damascus in the 70's. Â*Now, Damascus was Hicksville at the
time, but close enough to Portland that we wanted to feel
sophisticated. Â*So we had to have _someone_ to pick on, and folks from
Boring would have come over and beat us up if we chose them. Â*Hence the
conflation of Estacada with Hicksville.)))

--www.wescottdesign.com

Come on, Tim. The rest of the world can't even promounce "Estacada"
properly!

Paul in Redmond, OR

You're right.

That's Es tah cay dah, in Ory gun (Ory gn, actually).

BTW: send me an email, so I can keep in better touch. The Fun Flyers
made a control line circle two years ago; I almost have the Nobler ready
to cover (it's at the "where's the monocoat iron -- oops I just need to
add one thing" stage).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:15:11 -0400, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

[...]

Cool. Starting a PNW map, too? Email sent.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

- you can email me your town & the text you'd like shown
), or post as reply

Any comments?

Bob

I'm in. Email sent.

technomaNge
--
A lot of people think I need anger management...
I say "**** them." (Jesse James, Monster Garage)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Up North wrote:

[...]

I seem to recall this was done for RCM a few years ago. I'm too lazy to
look for references however.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Well I'm more NW than NE! Ready to do the whole country? I'm in
Santa Rosa, CA.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Imagine what I could do if
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : I knew what I was doing...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 20 Oct 2009 18:07:11 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Well I'm more NW than NE! Ready to do the whole country? I'm in
Santa Rosa, CA.

Taft, California

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RCM'ers map?, my info

Jon Anderson in Grass Valley, California

Future home is Cootamundra, NSW, Australia. Is the map international in
scope?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

XR650L_Dave wrote:
On the off-chance I could provide usefulness to any of the
contributors here as opposed to soaking up knowledge) I'm in central
NY state.

Dave, Google is sooo picky - it wants a town. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Alright - it's not just New England, but everywhe

http://tinyurl.com/RCM-ers

There's 11 on it, I'd like to see 100. ? Or ...?

I can see where some wouldn't want everyone to know where they live.
You can just have the town icon'ed. I.e., without your name.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:13:39 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Alright - it's not just New England, but everywhe

http://tinyurl.com/RCM-ers

There's 11 on it, I'd like to see 100. ? Or ...?

I can see where some wouldn't want everyone to know where they live.
You can just have the town icon'ed. I.e., without your name.

Bob

It used to be in my sig but I've not set one up lately.

Shamrock, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne Cook wrote:

Shamrock, TX

Can't they afford a real rock? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Alright - it's not just New England, but everywhe

http://tinyurl.com/RCM-ers

There's 11 on it, I'd like to see 100. ? Or ...?

I can see where some wouldn't want everyone to know where they live.
You can just have the town icon'ed. I.e., without your name.

Bob

Now thats as cool as hell!

Wowsers!

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 21:13:44 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Wayne Cook wrote:

Shamrock, TX

Can't they afford a real rock? ;-)

Hmm. Can't say that I've heard that one before. :-)

The legend is that there's supposed to be a piece of the Blarney in
town. According to current legend it got thrown down a sink hole.
There's even a little monument on the spot where it's supposed to be.
How much of that you believe is up to you. :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wayne Cook wrote:

Shamrock, TX

Can't they afford a real rock? ;-)

Hmm. Can't say that I've heard that one before. :-)

The legend is that there's supposed to be a piece of the Blarney in
town. According to current legend it got thrown down a sink hole.
There's even a little monument on the spot where it's supposed to be.
How much of that you believe is up to you. :-)

That sounds like a Sham rock to me! Blarney is all over the place.
If you don't believe me, just ask any politician.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:45:05 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Alright - it's not just New England, but everywhe

http://tinyurl.com/RCM-ers

There's 11 on it, I'd like to see 100. ? Or ...?

I can see where some wouldn't want everyone to know where they live.
You can just have the town icon'ed. I.e., without your name.

Bob

Now thats as cool as hell!

Wowsers!

19 of us show up there now, despite his claim to only 11. I can't
wait to see the map in a month.

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

- you can email me your town & the text you'd like shown
), or post as reply

Any comments?

Bob

bilton rugby

will find Mark Rand

Quite a way over to the right of the other folk though :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 20, 8:13*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Alright - it's not just New England, but everywhe

http://tinyurl.com/RCM-ers

There's 11 on it, I'd like to see 100. *? *Or ...?

I can see where some wouldn't want everyone to know where they live.
You can just have the town icon'ed. I.e., without your name.

Bob

Leave me off, my shop is on the Do-Not-Call-On list. same user name
at yahoo dot com is good enough

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 13:29:53 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson
scrawled the following:

Jon Anderson in Grass Valley, California

Future home is Cootamundra, NSW, Australia. Is the map international in
scope?

Nah, we don't bank furriners here, Jon. bseg Just keep your weedy
canyon address and attach forwarding text to it, wot?

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Alright - it's not just New England, but everywhe

http://tinyurl.com/RCM-ers

There's 11 on it, I'd like to see 100. ? Or ...?

I can see where some wouldn't want everyone to know where they live.
You can just have the town icon'ed. I.e., without your name.

Bob

My default sig has my city and state, you're welcome to add
it to the map. Gotta have at least one entry from Michigan

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

bilton rugby

will find Mark Rand

Quite a way over to the right of the other folk though :-)

Got it. You might like to think so, but you are no way near as far
right as some folks here G

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
19 of us show up there now, despite his claim to only 11. I can't
wait to see the map in a month.

They just keep comin' in. 25 now. Keep 'em coming.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

- you can email me your town & the text you'd like shown
), or post as reply

Looks like a big empty between the northerners and the southerners, so
I'll try to fill that in.

Terry
Murray, KY
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:07:36 -0500, Wayne Cook
wrote:

It used to be in my sig but I've not set one up lately.

Shamrock, TX

It is showing Shamrock just west of Dallas.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 19:54:36 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

XR650L_Dave wrote:
On the off-chance I could provide usefulness to any of the
contributors here as opposed to soaking up knowledge) I'm in central
NY state.

Dave, Google is sooo picky - it wants a town. Bob

Hey Bob,

If you care to put me in, I'm in Bothwell, Ontario.

Google Earth shows my co-ordinates as:

N 42 38 09
W 81 52 05

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:01:12 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

bilton rugby

will find Mark Rand

Quite a way over to the right of the other folk though :-)

Got it. You might like to think so, but you are no way near as far
right as some folks here G

Bob

Don't I just know it :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:03:08 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
19 of us show up there now, despite his claim to only 11. I can't
wait to see the map in a month.

They just keep comin' in. 25 now. Keep 'em coming.

Bob

OK, mine in a week will be Georgetown, Texas. I did take some pics of
the stuff coming up the ramp out of the basement. Right now I'm too
tired to bother posting. Two days more of loading and we're gone.
Maybe once we get to Texas and have a chance to catch our breath I'll
post them.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:46:58 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

wrote:

- you can email me your town & the text you'd like shown
), or post as reply

Any comments?

Bob

bilton rugby

will find Mark Rand

Quite a way over to the right of the other folk though :-)

Um, you're further left and farther east, if I'm not mistaken, Mark.

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

- you can email me your town & the text you'd like shown
), or post as reply

Any comments?

Bob

bilton rugby

will find Mark Rand

Quite a way over to the right of the other folk though :-)

Um, you're further left and farther east, if I'm not mistaken, Mark.

Everyone would get along a lot better if all you folk just learned to agree
with me...

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:35:56 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

wrote:

- you can email me your town & the text you'd like shown
), or post as reply

Any comments?

Bob

bilton rugby

will find Mark Rand

Quite a way over to the right of the other folk though :-)

Um, you're further left and farther east, if I'm not mistaken, Mark.

Everyone would get along a lot better if all you folk just learned to agree
with me...

Funny, that is -exactly- what the top dog in D.C. is saying right
about now...

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That is tres neat, Bob. Looks like we stayed overnight within two
miles of one RCM'er last month. We were at the Microtel in
Streetsboro, OH.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Alright - it's not just New England, but everywhe

http://tinyurl.com/RCM-ers

There's 11 on it, I'd like to see 100. ? Or ...?

I can see where some wouldn't want everyone to know where they live.
You can just have the town icon'ed. I.e., without your name.

Bob

I gave you fairly precise lat and long, which happen to be a few
blocks from here but close enough.

I'm very easy to find if anyone really cares to do so.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Alright - it's not just New England, but everywhe

http://tinyurl.com/RCM-ers

There's 11 on it, I'd like to see 100. ? Or ...?

I can see where some wouldn't want everyone to know where they live.
You can just have the town icon'ed. I.e., without your name.

Bob

I gave you fairly precise lat and long, which happen to be a few
blocks from here but close enough.

I'm very easy to find if anyone really cares to do so.

Looks like mines still about 400 miles off. I guess Bob didn't catch
that he got the wrong Shamrock, TX for mine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne Cook wrote:

Looks like mines still about 400 miles off. I guess Bob didn't catch
that he got the wrong Shamrock, TX for mine.

Surely you jest. There couldn't be more than ONE SHAMROCK TX. :-)
...Lew...