Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the discussion?

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:53:36 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the discussion?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=350951
$5.69 for manganese phosphate Hot Parkerizing chem.
Google RCM for "parkerizing" for tons more discussion.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the discussion?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=350951
$5.69 for manganese phosphate Hot Parkerizing chem.
Google RCM for "parkerizing" for tons more discussion.

Will this work on aluminum and stainless steel? I doubt the crystals
will coat these.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the discussion?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=350951
$5.69 for manganese phosphate Hot Parkerizing chem.
Google RCM for "parkerizing" for tons more discussion.

Will this work on aluminum and stainless steel? I doubt the crystals
will coat these.

Oops, I missed the alloy callouts. Never mind. I've heard of aluminum
blackening finishes but know nothing about them. Stainless can be
blackened with black oxide, but if your receiver alloys can't be
separated, I don't know if the pickling would affect the AL.

I think I'll back out of this discussion now. I'm in over my head. :-/

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 23, 10:53*pm, "David R. Birch" wrote:
Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the discussion?

David

Black oxide is available for stainless, but it leaves a thin coating
that's not tough at all. Black nickel is better but it's really gray,
not black. Black chrome is best but also the most expensive. You'll
have to send out to have those finishes put on but you can do the
black oxide with a Caswell kit. If you want the receiver to look
bright for a long time, black chrome is the trick. You may have seen
that finish on good handguns.

There are lots of ways to blacken aluminum. Commercial treatments use
alkaline or acid treatments. Most of them are gray, too, and you won't
get a good match with the stainless.

You can have the aluminum parts anodized and treated with black dye.
The old dye used for this was black India ink. It doesn't sound like
much, but the anodized treatment is tougher than the alkaline and acid
treatments. You can't do this with hard anodizing, which really is
only thick anodozing, it's not any harder. It has to be a standard,
thin anodize and you have to dye it right away, while the anodizing is
still porous. It seals itself up in humid weather, and it happens in
days, or even hours, and then it won't take dye. You should send out
to a jobber for this, too, unless you want to experiment and you know
how to do anodizing.

If you want a uniform color on the stainless and the aluminum,
powdercoat is the way to go. It's not especially tough, but it's cheap
and it can look good if you don't beat your guns around or let them
bang into hard things. I never heard of a bake-on spray paint, except
for muffler and manifold paint. I don't think that would look good.
Bake-on barbecue paint I've seen is flat black.

When Remington first started making stainless shotgun barrels, in the
sixties, they had them iron plated and then hot tank blued. It was a
really good finish. It was expensive to do in small batches.

I hate color finishing stainless because it's hard for the small-time
operator to get a smooth and even job. I used to blue guns as a
sideline. I'm not an expert. I only applied hot-tank and cold-blue
finishes. A real cold blue, sometimes called rust bluing, can be
beautiful, but I never heard of a process that works on stainless.
Check with Brownells to see if they make such a thing. Sometimes it
comes out purple, anyway, on alloy steels.

===

Scraper
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the discussion?

David

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the discussion?

David

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH

Thanks.

I've already checked out Brownell's, went there first because I've used
their Oxpho-Blue a lot on steel.

I'm looking for CHEAP.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/24/2010 10:31 AM, Scraper wrote:
On Sep 23, 10:53 pm, "David R. wrote:
[...]

I know about these options, but I'm looking for CHEAP.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

David

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH

Thanks.

I've already checked out Brownell's, went there first because I've used
their Oxpho-Blue a lot on steel.

I'm looking for CHEAP.

OK then, flat black BBQ paint.

--
I can see November from my front porch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

David

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH

Thanks.

I've already checked out Brownell's, went there first because I've used
their Oxpho-Blue a lot on steel.

I'm looking for CHEAP.

You're asking for a relatively hi-tech finish and
they don't come cheap.

I've used Norrell's bake-on resin paint and have had
good luck with it. I used multiple coats, baked in
a toaster oven between coats and applied with a cheap
airbrush. Some of his smaller quantities are cheaper
than a can of the Brownell's, but you do need an
airbrush.

http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the discussion?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=350951
$5.69 for manganese phosphate Hot Parkerizing chem.
Google RCM for "parkerizing" for tons more discussion.

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Can't parkerize aluminum! The military finish is hard anodizing, not
the same as decorative anodizing, uses chromic acid. Best bet is
DuraCoat or Alumihyde, see Brownell's website. Cheap won't last.
Midway may have something, too. If you just want cheap, look up some
flat black $5/can at a big box. It'll chip and you'll have to strip
and repaint in a year or two, but it's cheap!

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:43:51 -0500, "David R. Birch" wrote:

I've already checked out Brownell's, went there first because I've used
their Oxpho-Blue a lot on steel.

I'm looking for CHEAP.

David

Get some 400 grit silicon carbide lapping paste and lap all the surfaces with
it, then clean them. This'll give it a very good key for the paint. Then paint
with the lacquer/Alkyd-auto-paint of your choice.

Of course the correct finish would be black crackle :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:43:51 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

*Snip*

I'm looking for CHEAP.

David

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1209/...de8b4a.jpg?v=0

H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

*Snip*

I'm looking for CHEAP.

David

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1209/...de8b4a.jpg?v=0

Cheap, yes, durable, no.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

David

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH

Thanks.

I've already checked out Brownell's, went there first because I've used
their Oxpho-Blue a lot on steel.

I'm looking for CHEAP.

You're asking for a relatively hi-tech finish and
they don't come cheap.

Doesn't have to be hi-tech, I could even go with something as ugly as
British stoving.

I've used Norrell's bake-on resin paint and have had
good luck with it. I used multiple coats, baked in
a toaster oven between coats and applied with a cheap
airbrush. Some of his smaller quantities are cheaper
than a can of the Brownell's, but you do need an
airbrush.

http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp

Looks OK, but as pricey as Duracoat.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 23, 4:53*pm, "David R. Birch" wrote:
Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the discussion?

David

The*one*I*saw*was*spray*can*Rustoleum*Flat*Black*o n*an*AK*receiver.*It*was*then*baked*in*an*oven*at* 300*I*think.*I've*done*this*to*my*socket*wrench*bo x*and*seems*as*durable*as*the*original*paint.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=8857.0
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:53:36 -0500, David R. Birch wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray finish,
preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven. I remember
a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

Have you considered "black oxide" for the steel and black anodizing
for the aluminum?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/25/2010 2:02 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:53:36 -0500, David R. Birch wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray finish,
preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven. I remember
a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

Have you considered "black oxide" for the steel and black anodizing
for the aluminum?

Thanks,
Rich

Yes, not cheap enough. Thanks.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 23, 10:53*pm, "David R. Birch" wrote:
Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

David

Many year ago we used a Sherwin Williams rattle can paint to paint
staples that were used in a air driven stapler. These were 1.25 or
1.5 inch staples. The paint was a one part epoxy appliance paint. We
got the tip on the paint from the Duofast staple salesman. That was
eons ago, so recommend that you contact the Duofast salesman in your
area and ask him. Sherwin Williams may have changed the formulation,
or there might be something better by now.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 13:27:54 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 23, 10:53Â*pm, "David R. Birch" wrote:
[...]

You talking Heathkit stereo, or gun?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the discussion?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=350951
$5.69 for manganese phosphate Hot Parkerizing chem.
Google RCM for "parkerizing" for tons more discussion.

AL won't parkerize , and 304SS???
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R. Birch" wrote in
:

On 9/25/2010 2:02 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:53:36 -0500, David R. Birch wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the
oven. I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I
can't locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

Have you considered "black oxide" for the steel and black anodizing
for the aluminum?

Thanks,
Rich

Yes, not cheap enough. Thanks.

I can't help with the aluminum (Magic Marker?), but rust bluing is very
durable & free. All it takes is lots of time & work. There are
chemicals that speed up the rusting that you can buy, but boiling salt
water under it should suffice. Or leave it over a vat of any one of a
number of other corrosive chemicals you probably have around or can
scrounge.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote in
:

"David R. Birch" wrote in
:

[...]

Ooops! Just noticed it's stainless. You may still be able to rust blue
it, but it's gonna be harder. A good baked rattle-can paint is probably
your best bet.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:09:49 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

On 9/25/2010 2:02 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:53:36 -0500, David R. Birch wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray finish,
preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven. I remember
a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

Have you considered "black oxide" for the steel and black anodizing
for the aluminum?

Thanks,
Rich

Yes, not cheap enough. Thanks.

That settles it. Pick up a pint of 1,200 degree, matte-black stove
paint and brush 'er on!

--
Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people.
Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

David

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH

Thanks.

I've already checked out Brownell's, went there first because I've used
their Oxpho-Blue a lot on steel.

I'm looking for CHEAP.

David

How about a Magic Marker? Lots of colors!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
SNIP
Yes, not cheap enough. Thanks.

That settles it. Pick up a pint of 1,200 degree, matte-black stove
paint and brush 'er on!

--

I appreciate David's position...but if I had just finished all that
machining, I wouldn't cheap-out on the finish.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:53:36 -0500, David R. Birch wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray finish,
preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven. I remember
a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

If you already have a battery charger, or know somebody who can lend you
one for a day, you can anodize aluminum at home for practically nothing:
http://www.thirdgen.org/anodizealuminum

As for the stainless, I have no idea what this stuff costs, or what alloys
it works with, but hey, it's a start:
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm
(I googled "black oxide".)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

David

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH

Thanks.

I've already checked out Brownell's, went there first because I've used
their Oxpho-Blue a lot on steel.

I'm looking for CHEAP.

David

How about a Magic Marker? Lots of colors!

Someone else suggested Crayola.

:^)

Fun, but a bit short in durability.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

The big nuisance was the number of pilot lights behind the
panel, and how difficult it was to dig in and replace them. Now *that*
was something which would really have benefited from LEDs. :-)

Or you could have put a diode in series with them and run them at
around half power. A pair of diodes would let you put half on each half
cycle.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-26, David R. wrote:

You talking Heathkit stereo, or gun?

:^)

Oddly enough, I was just researching online Heathkit manuals for my
AR-14 receiver which is starting to act flakey. I remember the AR-15
Heathkit as state of the art at the time.

There were three versions of it:

AJ-15 FM Tuner only.

AA-15 Power amp& preamp only

AR-15 All of the above in a single chassis.

I built the AJ-15, made a rack mount for it, and used it for
many years.

The big nuisance was the number of pilot lights behind the
panel, and how difficult it was to dig in and replace them. Now *that*
was something which would really have benefited from LEDs. :-)

I was at the time using an amplifier and preamp of my own
design and construction.

Around 1970, my father built my AR-14. I built the amp/preamp only
version, the AA-14. There was also an FM tuner called the AJ-14.

The AR-14 had tape outputs, the AA-14 didn't, but the preamp circuit
boards were the same, so I installed the necessary components and
drilled holes in the back panel for female RCA jacks. I still have both
units, but the manuals wandered off years ago.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-27, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

The big nuisance was the number of pilot lights behind the
panel, and how difficult it was to dig in and replace them. Now *that*
was something which would really have benefited from LEDs. :-)

Or you could have put a diode in series with them and run them at
around half power. A pair of diodes would let you put half on each half
cycle.

But that front panel was *dark*. You needed the full brightness
of the lamps (#47 IIRC) to be able to read the frequency dial. And
others were to tell you when you were receiving stereo and other such
things.

I guess that half-power would be sufficient -- *if* I turned out
the room lights first. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-27, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

The big nuisance was the number of pilot lights behind the
panel, and how difficult it was to dig in and replace them. Now *that*
was something which would really have benefited from LEDs. :-)

Or you could have put a diode in series with them and run them at
around half power. A pair of diodes would let you put half on each half
cycle.

But that front panel was *dark*. You needed the full brightness
of the lamps (#47 IIRC) to be able to read the frequency dial. And
others were to tell you when you were receiving stereo and other such
things.

I guess that half-power would be sufficient -- *if* I turned out
the room lights first. :-)

Actually the bulbs are non linear so it would be closer to 70%, and
the bulbs would probably last the lifetime of the equipment. Then
again, you could have used pairs at each location with the diodes and
get a little bit more brightness, and longer life.

People who restore old radios with a tapped filament on the rectifier
use a diode and a 9.1 volt zener to protect the filament at turn on.
The zener passes the excess current, until the filaments have warmed
up. BTW, the modification was my idea, and it took a long time to
convince the parts changers that they couldn't use a 6 V zener.

enough left over to pay them.