Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

Doug White wrote in
:

"David R. Birch" wrote in
:

On 9/25/2010 2:02 PM, Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:53:36 -0500, David R. Birch wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the
oven. I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I
can't locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

Have you considered "black oxide" for the steel and black anodizing
for the aluminum?

Thanks,
Rich

Yes, not cheap enough. Thanks.

I can't help with the aluminum (Magic Marker?), but rust bluing is very
durable & free. All it takes is lots of time & work. There are
chemicals that speed up the rusting that you can buy, but boiling salt
water under it should suffice. Or leave it over a vat of any one of a
number of other corrosive chemicals you probably have around or can
scrounge.

Ooops! Just noticed it's stainless. You may still be able to rust blue
it, but it's gonna be harder. A good baked rattle-can paint is probably
your best bet.

Doug White