Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

On 9/24/2010 1:00 PM, Jim Stewart wrote:
David R. Birch wrote:
On 9/24/2010 11:44 AM, Don Foreman wrote:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:53:36 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

Durable cheap finish for home built receiver

I recently finished a home made AR-15 receiver made from 304 SS and
6061-T6 AL. Now I want to give it a cheap flat black or dark gray
finish, preferably something I can spray on and maybe bake in the oven.
I remember a discussion something like this a while ago, but I can't
locate it.

Any ideas or suggestions, either for the process or locating the
discussion?

David

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...RE__GUN_FINISH

Thanks.

I've already checked out Brownell's, went there first because I've used
their Oxpho-Blue a lot on steel.

I'm looking for CHEAP.

You're asking for a relatively hi-tech finish and
they don't come cheap.

Doesn't have to be hi-tech, I could even go with something as ugly as
British stoving.

I've used Norrell's bake-on resin paint and have had
good luck with it. I used multiple coats, baked in
a toaster oven between coats and applied with a cheap
airbrush. Some of his smaller quantities are cheaper
than a can of the Brownell's, but you do need an
airbrush.

http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_about.asp

Looks OK, but as pricey as Duracoat.

David