Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do people use coolant with high speed spindle attachments?

Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13544" wrote in message
Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

The super fast machines I have seen on You Tube all appear to use moderately
high volume flood coolant. There are plenty of people who claim they dry
cut at 10-24K, but cutter life suffers. Also sticking happens more often if
you try to get a little aggressive. I dry cut a lot, but if I care about
the finish of the part I stand there with a can of WD in my hand (aluminum
only).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus13544" wrote in message
Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

The super fast machines I have seen on You Tube all appear to use moderately
high volume flood coolant. There are plenty of people who claim they dry
cut at 10-24K, but cutter life suffers. Also sticking happens more often if
you try to get a little aggressive. I dry cut a lot, but if I care about
the finish of the part I stand there with a can of WD in my hand (aluminum
only).

Got any links to videos? I was thinking, for starters, 10-15 K RPM,
1/4" cutter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus13544 wrote:

Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

Well, since you have (IIRC) a big honking compressor, you could use the
less messy coolant (air, with or without a [noisy, airhogging] vortex
tube thang to make it even colder...)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-09, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus13544" wrote in message
Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

The super fast machines I have seen on You Tube all appear to use
moderately
high volume flood coolant. There are plenty of people who claim they dry
cut at 10-24K, but cutter life suffers. Also sticking happens more often
if
you try to get a little aggressive. I dry cut a lot, but if I care about
the finish of the part I stand there with a can of WD in my hand
(aluminum
only).

Got any links to videos? I was thinking, for starters, 10-15 K RPM,
1/4" cutter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MmtRetal54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5aC5Kpvibc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ACIOd4Jpw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:56:17 -0500, Ignoramus13544
wrote:

Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

Air only. Maybe a mist..but definately Air only

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

Air only. Maybe a mist..but definately Air only

I bet. At 10,000 rpm, it will be hard to keep the tool wet, even if flooded.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-11, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

wrote:

Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

Air only. Maybe a mist..but definately Air only

I bet. At 10,000 rpm, it will be hard to keep the tool wet, even if flooded.

I actually fixed up my air mister. And I have a question, actually two

1) How bad is vegetable air mist oil for lungs
2) Just how much mess will it make with chips flying all over the
place?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2010-09-11, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

wrote:

Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

Air only. Maybe a mist..but definately Air only

I bet. At 10,000 rpm, it will be hard to keep the tool wet, even if
flooded.

I actually fixed up my air mister. And I have a question, actually two

1) How bad is vegetable air mist oil for lungs

All oils are bad. For that matter, so are all metalworking fluids, with the
sole exception of pure water. Back when I used a mister, the mist gave me a
form of bronchitis, and I ended up wearing a real facemask. I looked like a
Preying Mantis. Nor was the mist as effective as I would hope, unless it was
very heavy. The shop looked like a fogbank. This is why I went to flood or
dribble cooling.

2) Just how much mess will it make with chips flying all over the
place?

Quite a lot. Full enclosure is probably a good idea. Negative pressure isn't a
bad idea either, and isn't hard to arrange. I bet 10000 rpm spindles generate a
lot of aluminum dust.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:34:07 -0500, Ignoramus1469

On 2010-09-11, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

wrote:

Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

Air only. Maybe a mist..but definately Air only

I bet. At 10,000 rpm, it will be hard to keep the tool wet, even if flooded.

I actually fixed up my air mister. And I have a question, actually two

1) How bad is vegetable air mist oil for lungs

Not great. Depends on your lungs and how well they get rid of oil and
other debris

2) Just how much mess will it make with chips flying all over the
place?

Slightly less than oil/coolant soaked chips flying all over the place.
It sweeps up easier.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus1469 wrote:
I actually fixed up my air mister. And I have a question, actually two

1) How bad is vegetable air mist oil for lungs
2) Just how much mess will it make with chips flying all over the
place?

Finely atomized oils, of ANY kind, are quite bad for the lungs! There
is a finite capacity
for the lungs to remove foreign materials, and liquids which don't mix
with water are
difficult for the cilia to sweep upward. I forget the exact medical
term, but the common
term is oil pneumonia. The lungs start producing large quantities of
fluid trying to
dilute the oil so it can be coughed up, which, of course, doesn't work.

This can sneak up on you, and when you realize you have a problem, it is
too late
to do anything about it. It can take months to recover from a dose of
oil mist.

Mess is not the problem, the chips will be ever so slightly coated with
a hint of an oily
film, assuming you have the mister running at a low level.

Jon