Old August 18th 10, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default High speed spindle

As I was messing around with text engraving, I realized that it would
be very cool to have a high speed spindle.

There is, apparently, a wide variety of purpose made and adapted
devices that are used for this:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCHighSpeedSpindleAddOn.htm

The best so far, looks to be this:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Other...Manifold_1.jpg

This is a Bosch Colt palm router attached to the quill. It seems to be
nicely made, and low profile.

In my case, I can use a changeable toolholder to do the attaching, so
that it is easy to take off:

http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...nd_Mill_Holder

This way, I could run a 1/8" end mill at 30,000 RPM, without using the
main mill's spindle bearings. I would use a brake to hold this
assembly in the quill.

It would be, as I said, a quick change setup, easy to be swapped
out. I would just need to figure out a safety interlock mechanism, so
that the main spindle would not be turned on accidentally with this
thing mounted.

It would seem that a holder is easy to make from 6061 or some such,
and the whole project can be done under $200.

I engraved some text yesterday, which took something like 19
minutes. I did it at 2,400 RPM. At 30,000 RPM, it could take only 1.5-2
minutes.

Old August 18th 10, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* *http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Other...lantManifold_1...

[...]

Mount the high speed spindle along side the main spindle.
When you need to use the high speed spindle, remove the tool from the
main spindle, and lower it until the high speed spindle reaches the
part. If it is just for engraving. putting a tool back into the main
spindle, and the high speed might not reach the part, it depends on
the job, and the setup, etc.

I once saw a machine where the high speed Precise Spindle was mounted
off to the side, and on a separate slide..
It could be extended down with air, to an adjustable stop. or
retracted. All mounted on a small linear slide assembly.
Old August 18th 10, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

11933.invalid wrote:
[...]

To be more precise.. ( no pun intended) The extra slide was mounted to
the side of the main spindle. So the Z axis moved both spindles up and
down, but the high speed could be retracted or extended.
Old August 18th 10, 05:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

11933.invalid wrote:
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tormach-High-Spe...-/310162994022

http://cgi.ebay.com/TDM-SA-MK045-Hig...-/280548061287

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rebuilt-High-spe...-/270621765303
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISE-PKZ25-hi...-/230399561895

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tecnara-HS-3100-...-/370409070389
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISE-HIGH-SPE...-/120603527680

I think if Iggy looks around a bit..he can find a insertable high speed
spindle in his price range. Not sure about his QD attachment though.
Check out the first link above. While its not a heavy duty machine...it
doesnt look too bad for engraving..and the price is right.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Old August 18th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11933 wrote:

[...]

That palm router setup is nice. I like the idea of the pencil air
grinder though, you could install one in a modified end mill holder and
run the air line up through your unused draw bar hole which would mean
no offset from the normal spindle location to deal with.

Old August 18th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11933" wrote in message
[...]

I guess it depends on what you mean by engraving. Engraving is usually done
with a spring loaded bit holder that is dragged (not spinning) along the
surface of the material. This allows for engraving some surfaces that are
not perfectly uniform and even to some degree engraving curved surfaces. I
engraved the side of some larger sockets to see how far I could push it with
mine. You can make your own spring loaded engraver with whatever size shaft
is desirable. I would use a lathe, but if you have very low backlash or
have backlash compensation programmed well in your control software you
could do it on your CNC mill. If you don't want to make one there are
atleast two different people selling them on Ebay. Dremel actually sells a
decent tungsten conical point and a conical diamond dust point pretty cheap
that work nicely in my drag engraver.

If you meant to "mill out" letters and only do it rarely then find yourself
a high speed cutter of some kind and make your own mounting bracket for it.
I'm using a couple motors and handpieces right now, but the first link
Gunner listed is a nice example of one using a die grinder. Run out of your
bit or mill holder will determine how small a cutter and/or how fast you can
feed without breaking them. If you don't plan to use it often there are
some pretty cheap drive solutions out there. A decent quality trim router
turns at about 28,000 rpm and has a lot of power.

I would love to have one of those super high speed spindles that just go
right into the mill like a collet, but they are expensive. Of course I
would have to have a machine that would take them. LOL.

I look forward to seeing your ultimate solution.

Old August 18th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11933 wrote:

[...]

I will do this palm router thing. But only after I finish the mill's
controls and this air brake issue.

Old August 18th 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:43:47 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus11933 wrote:

[...]

That leaves no place for his spindle encoder and a rotating air
connection at the top of the spindle.

Doable..but not practical?

Old August 18th 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus11933 wrote:

[...]

Sure it does, his encoder will operate just as well on a hollow shaft as
on a solid one...
Old August 18th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Actually, most engraving *is* done with a rotating bit, usually fixed,
but sometimes in a spring loaded mount. All the plastic signs and
nameplates you see are engraved with a rotary bit. Most engraving on
stuff like anodized AL is also rotary cut (or lasered). Drag engraving
is the exception, not the norm.

Iggy will find a high speed spindle and a nice carbide rotary engraving
bit work nicely to engrave lettering and markings on aluminum or plastic
enclosures which can be paint filled for a very nice result.