Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus28889 Ignoramus28889 is offline

Default High speed spindle

On 2010-08-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11933 wrote:

As I was messing around with text engraving, I realized that it would
be very cool to have a high speed spindle.

There is, apparently, a wide variety of purpose made and adapted
devices that are used for this:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCHighSpeedSpindleAddOn.htm

The best so far, looks to be this:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Other...Manifold_1.jpg

This is a Bosch Colt palm router attached to the quill. It seems to be
nicely made, and low profile.

In my case, I can use a changeable toolholder to do the attaching, so
that it is easy to take off:

http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...nd_Mill_Holder

This way, I could run a 1/8" end mill at 30,000 RPM, without using the
main mill's spindle bearings. I would use a brake to hold this
assembly in the quill.

It would be, as I said, a quick change setup, easy to be swapped
out. I would just need to figure out a safety interlock mechanism, so
that the main spindle would not be turned on accidentally with this
thing mounted.

It would seem that a holder is easy to make from 6061 or some such,
and the whole project can be done under $200.

I engraved some text yesterday, which took something like 19
minutes. I did it at 2,400 RPM. At 30,000 RPM, it could take only 1.5-2
minutes.

That palm router setup is nice. I like the idea of the pencil air
grinder though, you could install one in a modified end mill holder and
run the air line up through your unused draw bar hole which would mean
no offset from the normal spindle location to deal with.

I will do this palm router thing. But only after I finish the mill's
controls and this air brake issue.