Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Do people use coolant with high speed spindle attachments?

Ignoramus1469 wrote:
I actually fixed up my air mister. And I have a question, actually two

1) How bad is vegetable air mist oil for lungs
2) Just how much mess will it make with chips flying all over the
place?

Finely atomized oils, of ANY kind, are quite bad for the lungs! There
is a finite capacity
for the lungs to remove foreign materials, and liquids which don't mix
with water are
difficult for the cilia to sweep upward. I forget the exact medical
term, but the common
term is oil pneumonia. The lungs start producing large quantities of
fluid trying to
dilute the oil so it can be coughed up, which, of course, doesn't work.

This can sneak up on you, and when you realize you have a problem, it is
too late
to do anything about it. It can take months to recover from a dose of
oil mist.

Mess is not the problem, the chips will be ever so slightly coated with
a hint of an oily
film, assuming you have the mister running at a low level.

Jon