Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do people use coolant with high speed spindle attachments?

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:34:07 -0500, Ignoramus1469

On 2010-09-11, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:56:17 -0500, Ignoramus13544
wrote:

Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

Air only. Maybe a mist..but definately Air only

I bet. At 10,000 rpm, it will be hard to keep the tool wet, even if flooded.

I actually fixed up my air mister. And I have a question, actually two

1) How bad is vegetable air mist oil for lungs

Not great. Depends on your lungs and how well they get rid of oil and
other debris

2) Just how much mess will it make with chips flying all over the
place?

Slightly less than oil/coolant soaked chips flying all over the place.
It sweeps up easier.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)