Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Boyar Schultz high speed grinder attachment, as a high speed spindle?

I was cleaning up and sorting Stuff and realized that I have something
like this (a similar kit to these ones):

http://www.machineks.com/machines/gr...1-machine.html
(I have this kit with this box, not sure if it is complete, but it
looks like major parts are there)

http://www.machineryvalues.com/Grind...G-p/141799.htm

This clamps on a spindle of a surface grinder, uses a little
transmission belt and runs at 14,000 RPM, when the main spindle goes
at 3K RPM. It is, otherwise, proportional to the spindle speed.

The clamp has a cast iron insert that has a ID of 3 1/8" or so
inches. This insert is broken, but I could make another one that would
fit my 3 3/8" quill on the bridgeport interact mill.

In the spindle, they insert little collet holders, of which I have at
least one, for 1/4" shank tools. There is a little pile of 1/4" shank
grinding stones, which I do not care for too much.

What dawned in my mind, is that perhaps this would make a great high
speed spindle for a mill?

Could I use 1/4" shank end mills with this? Or is it somehow for
grinding only?

Anyone has a manual for this attachment?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-04, Ignoramus31991 wrote:
I was cleaning up and sorting Stuff and realized that I have something
like this (a similar kit to these ones):

Looks just like this:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/380182418417

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-04, Ignoramus31991 wrote:
I was cleaning up and sorting Stuff and realized that I have something
like this (a similar kit to these ones):

Looks just like this:

http://ef.algebra.com/e/380182418417

photo of the actual item

http://picasaweb.google.com/ichudov/...08338 7700050

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.machineks.com/machines/gr.../11341-machine...

http://www.machineryvalues.com/Grind...r-Schultz-High...

This clamps on a spindle of a surface grinder, uses a little
transmission belt and runs at 14,000 RPM, when the main spindle goes
at 3K RPM. It is, otherwise, proportional to the spindle speed.

The clamp has a cast iron insert that has a ID of 3 1/8" or so
inches. This insert is broken, but I could make another one that would
fit my 3 3/8" quill on the bridgeport interact mill.

In the spindle, they insert little collet holders, of which I have at
least one, for 1/4" shank tools. There is a little pile of 1/4" shank
grinding stones, which I do not care for too much.

What dawned in my mind, is that perhaps this would make a great high
speed spindle for a mill?

Could I use 1/4" shank end mills with this? Or is it somehow for
grinding only?

Anyone has a manual for this attachment?

Typical grinder contact forces are a fraction of what a milling
spindle runs, don't think the bearings are set up for it. I think
I've seen a similar conversion set up for grinding bores internally.
A step above a Dremel in a vise or milling attachment. It might
suffice for an engraving burr, if that's where you're going, nothing
much heavier.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-04, Ignoramus31991 wrote:
I was cleaning up and sorting Stuff and realized that I have something
like this (a similar kit to these ones):

http://www.machineks.com/machines/gr...1-machine.html
(I have this kit with this box, not sure if it is complete, but it
looks like major parts are there)

http://www.machineryvalues.com/Grind...G-p/141799.htm

Interesting.

This clamps on a spindle of a surface grinder, uses a little
transmission belt and runs at 14,000 RPM, when the main spindle goes
at 3K RPM. It is, otherwise, proportional to the spindle speed.

The clamp has a cast iron insert that has a ID of 3 1/8" or so
inches. This insert is broken, but I could make another one that would
fit my 3 3/8" quill on the bridgeport interact mill.

How much diameter is there to spare between the ID you need and
the OD of the insert? Note that from the description, the ID has to be
bored eccentrically to allow you to adjust the distance between the
spindle centerline of the mill and the spindle centerline of the
high-speed end -- to take up slack in the belt (presumably a flat belt).

You need the eccentricity to be at least half the step between
different lengths of belts of the same width and design -- and ideally a
little more to make it easier to slip the belt on.

I presume that there is a slit in the insert so when you clamp
the main casting it closes down on the spindle. (You'll need to limit
the Z-axis travel while this is clamped in place, of course.)

In the spindle, they insert little collet holders, of which I have at
least one, for 1/4" shank tools. There is a little pile of 1/4" shank
grinding stones, which I do not care for too much.

There are almost certainly 1/8" collets available as well.

Note that the stones are better to use when working on hardened
material.

What dawned in my mind, is that perhaps this would make a great high
speed spindle for a mill?

Could I use 1/4" shank end mills with this? Or is it somehow for
grinding only?

Well ... the casting looks stiff enough for small end mills, but
I don't know whether the bearings will handle milling loads instead of
grinding loads (which involve very little pressure). (And -- you will
need, if it is not already in the kit) a diamond dresser to ensure that
the stone is clean and concentric before it touches the workpiece.

And for a 1/4" end mill, at 14000 RPM, I calculate about 916
SFM, too fast for carbide in steel, I think -- but of course you can run
things a lot slower.

Anyone has a manual for this attachment?

I don't. It looks a little like the speeder that I have for my
Bridgeport Series-I spindle with the exception that the speeder has a
spring-loaded idler roller to adjust the belt tension.

And no -- I don't have a manual for the speeder, either. :-(

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-05, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2010-09-04, Ignoramus31991 wrote:
[...]

dn, I am almost totally drunk, why do you need eccentricity here.???

it is just a different insert/sleeve ut same diustance between centers..

I presume that there is a slit in the insert so when you clamp
the main casting it closes down on the spindle. (You'll need to limit
the Z-axis travel while this is clamped in place, of course.)

slit in both insert and main casting
In the spindle, they insert little collet holders, of which I have at
least one, for 1/4" shank tools. There is a little pile of 1/4" shank
grinding stones, which I do not care for too much.

There are almost certainly 1/8" collets available as well.

Note that the stones are better to use when working on hardened
material.

i thought of using end mills

What dawned in my mind, is that perhaps this would make a great high
speed spindle for a mill?

Could I use 1/4" shank end mills with this? Or is it somehow for
grinding only?

Well ... the casting looks stiff enough for small end mills, but
I don't know whether the bearings will handle milling loads instead of

\ grinding loads (which involve very little pressure). (And -- you will
need, if it is not already in the kit) a diamond dresser to ensure that
the stone is clean and concentric before it touches the workpiece.

And for a 1/4" end mill, at 14000 RPM, I calculate about 916
SFM, too fast for carbide in steel, I think -- but of course you can run
things a lot slower.

cool for aluminum or for engraviung

Anyone has a manual for this attachment?

I don't. It looks a little like the speeder that I have for my
Bridgeport Series-I spindle with the exception that the speeder has a
spring-loaded idler roller to adjust the belt tension.

And no -- I don't have a manual for the speeder, either. :-(

I could add an idler no problemo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

31991.invalid wrote:
[...]

thanks. not what i wanted to hear , but strIGHT TALK, sad but ttruwe,
I will put it on e-=bay, unfortunately

it has a wiu\mpy collet that sticks out
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-05, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

How much diameter is there to spare between the ID you need and
the OD of the insert? Note that from the description, the ID has to be
bored eccentrically to allow you to adjust the distance between the
spindle centerline of the mill and the spindle centerline of the
high-speed end -- to take up slack in the belt (presumably a flat belt).

You need the eccentricity to be at least half the step between
different lengths of belts of the same width and design -- and ideally a
little more to make it easier to slip the belt on.

dn, I am almost totally drunk,

Good thing that you are at the keyboard instead of the CNC mill
at the moment, then. :-)

why do you need eccentricity here.???

The inner sleeve is rotated relative to the outer one to adjust
the distance between centers (based on what I read with your links), and
this is necessary to tune it to the length of the belt -- as these belts
come only in certain length increments -- say perhaps 1/2" length steps,
so you need enough eccentricity to change the space between centers by
at least 1/4" to adjust for some available size of belt.

The alternative is to make it truly on center and turn the
diameter of the large pulley to tune the required belt length (and loose
some of the speed while you are about it. :-)

it is just a different insert/sleeve ut same diustance between centers..

Look at that sleeve (or the remains of it -- I believe that you
said that it was broken. Based on what I read in your links, the
thickness of the sleeve should vary as you go around it -- an eccentric
hole to allow you to adjust the spacing between centers (by rotating the
sleeve) to fit the belt.

[ ... ]

There are almost certainly 1/8" collets available as well.

Note that the stones are better to use when working on hardened
material.

i thought of using end mills

Not for hardened material -- stones are the only real choice,
especially with the likely bearings in there. Given the speed, those
are almost certainly ball bearings -- good for speed, but not for heavy
lateral thrust. At slower speeds you can use roller bearings which
accept a lot more lateral thrust -- but the oil film and the rollers
don't cooperate well at high speeds. The balls can push the oil aside
as they roll past, but with a full width roller, the bearing has to push
the oil film ahead of it.

What dawned in my mind, is that perhaps this would make a great high
speed spindle for a mill?

Could I use 1/4" shank end mills with this? Or is it somehow for
grinding only?

Well ... the casting looks stiff enough for small end mills, but
I don't know whether the bearings will handle milling loads instead of

\ grinding loads (which involve very little pressure). (And -- you will
need, if it is not already in the kit) a diamond dresser to ensure that
the stone is clean and concentric before it touches the workpiece.

And for a 1/4" end mill, at 14000 RPM, I calculate about 916
SFM, too fast for carbide in steel, I think -- but of course you can run
things a lot slower.

cool for aluminum or for engraviung

For engraving -- probably yes. I would not really want to use
even 1/8" end mills in that machine in aluminum -- too much load for the
bearings.

Anyone has a manual for this attachment?

I don't. It looks a little like the speeder that I have for my
Bridgeport Series-I spindle with the exception that the speeder has a
spring-loaded idler roller to adjust the belt tension.

And no -- I don't have a manual for the speeder, either. :-(

I could add an idler no problemo

That should not be necessary if you make a proper eccentric
inner sleeve (and there is enough difference between the ID of the main
casting sleeve and the OD of your quill. That is how what you have was
*designed* to work.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

31991.invalid wrote:
[...]

Stan, I will sell this kit to someone who needs it, I will use the
Bosch router with the adaptor that I made two days ago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-05, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

How much diameter is there to spare between the ID you need and
the OD of the insert? Note that from the description, the ID has to be
bored eccentrically to allow you to adjust the distance between the
spindle centerline of the mill and the spindle centerline of the
high-speed end -- to take up slack in the belt (presumably a flat belt).

You need the eccentricity to be at least half the step between
different lengths of belts of the same width and design -- and ideally a
little more to make it easier to slip the belt on.

dn, I am almost totally drunk,

Good thing that you are at the keyboard instead of the CNC mill
at the moment, then. :-)

Definitely, I get into enough trouble with the CNC when sober.

why do you need eccentricity here.???

The inner sleeve is rotated relative to the outer one to adjust
the distance between centers (based on what I read with your links), and
this is necessary to tune it to the length of the belt -- as these belts
come only in certain length increments -- say perhaps 1/2" length steps,
so you need enough eccentricity to change the space between centers by
at least 1/4" to adjust for some available size of belt.

The alternative is to make it truly on center and turn the
diameter of the large pulley to tune the required belt length (and loose
some of the speed while you are about it. :-)

Got it.

it is just a different insert/sleeve ut same diustance between centers..

Look at that sleeve (or the remains of it -- I believe that you
said that it was broken. Based on what I read in your links, the
thickness of the sleeve should vary as you go around it -- an eccentric
hole to allow you to adjust the spacing between centers (by rotating the
sleeve) to fit the belt.

Yep, that's what it is.

[ ... ]

[...]

Thanks for clarification DoN, I will not use this kit for high speed
spindle then.