Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus31991 Ignoramus31991 is offline

Default Boyar Schultz high speed grinder attachment, as a high speed spindle?

I was cleaning up and sorting Stuff and realized that I have something
like this (a similar kit to these ones):

http://www.machineks.com/machines/gr...1-machine.html
(I have this kit with this box, not sure if it is complete, but it
looks like major parts are there)

http://www.machineryvalues.com/Grind...G-p/141799.htm

This clamps on a spindle of a surface grinder, uses a little
transmission belt and runs at 14,000 RPM, when the main spindle goes
at 3K RPM. It is, otherwise, proportional to the spindle speed.

The clamp has a cast iron insert that has a ID of 3 1/8" or so
inches. This insert is broken, but I could make another one that would
fit my 3 3/8" quill on the bridgeport interact mill.

In the spindle, they insert little collet holders, of which I have at
least one, for 1/4" shank tools. There is a little pile of 1/4" shank
grinding stones, which I do not care for too much.

What dawned in my mind, is that perhaps this would make a great high
speed spindle for a mill?

Could I use 1/4" shank end mills with this? Or is it somehow for
grinding only?

Anyone has a manual for this attachment?