Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Do people use coolant with high speed spindle attachments?

In article ,

On 2010-09-11, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:56:17 -0500, Ignoramus13544
wrote:

Still kind of chicken about running a high speed spindle (a Bosch
router) without coolant. So my question is, do people use coolant at,
say, 10k RPM? 20k? I would say the OD of the spindle nut is 1 inch.

Air only. Maybe a mist..but definately Air only

I bet. At 10,000 rpm, it will be hard to keep the tool wet, even if
flooded.

I actually fixed up my air mister. And I have a question, actually two

1) How bad is vegetable air mist oil for lungs

All oils are bad. For that matter, so are all metalworking fluids, with the
sole exception of pure water. Back when I used a mister, the mist gave me a
form of bronchitis, and I ended up wearing a real facemask. I looked like a
Preying Mantis. Nor was the mist as effective as I would hope, unless it was
very heavy. The shop looked like a fogbank. This is why I went to flood or
dribble cooling.

2) Just how much mess will it make with chips flying all over the
place?

Quite a lot. Full enclosure is probably a good idea. Negative pressure isn't a
bad idea either, and isn't hard to arrange. I bet 10000 rpm spindles generate a
lot of aluminum dust.

Joe Gwinn