Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default printer pieces anyone

"Bill Noble" wrote:

my brother's laserjet IIIP just died - anyone still use those? it has a
good 92275A toner cartridge (just refilled), and I would expect all the
electronics except the power supply to be good - so if you need anything
drop me a note - I've tossed the case and stuff, just kept the boards and
fuser, but recycling doesn't get picked up until Monday if you want a
plastic part

email me at the address shown on my web site below - pretty much pay
shipping and whatever you need is yours - I put a few things on ebay because
they seemed like they might have a chance:

Printers sure have lost value. I have two panasonic dot matrix printers in the garage.
The wide one is likely going into dumpster this afternoon after I remove the stepper
motor. I remember paying something like 424.00 for it back when 424.00 was real money.

The 8 1/2" wide version is going to live a while longer since I have a serial interface
for it that I've had for about 15 years and never installed. It might find a use or not.
Either way, smaller storage footprint.

For the last few years, anything I wanted to print, I send to pdf creator which acts as a
print device for me. As long as I can display a document on a screen, it tends to get the
job done for me now.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:13:29 -0400, Wes
wrote the following:

"Bill Noble" wrote:

my brother's laserjet IIIP just died - anyone still use those? it has a
good 92275A toner cartridge (just refilled), and I would expect all the
electronics except the power supply to be good - so if you need anything
drop me a note - I've tossed the case and stuff, just kept the boards and
fuser, but recycling doesn't get picked up until Monday if you want a
plastic part

email me at the address shown on my web site below - pretty much pay
shipping and whatever you need is yours - I put a few things on ebay because
they seemed like they might have a chance:

Printers sure have lost value. I have two panasonic dot matrix printers in the garage.
The wide one is likely going into dumpster this afternoon after I remove the stepper
motor.

I remember Dad printing copies of the chapters of his WWII book (_To
Rule the Sky_ by Louis Jaques, Jr and William D. Leet) on the noisy
damned dot matrix computer. Later, when I owned them, they were just
as bloody noisy, printouts were ugly, paper was a pain, etc. I'm sure
glad technology progressed there.

I remember paying something like 424.00 for it back when 424.00 was real money.

That's more than I paid for my Samsung CLP-600N color laser printer.
It was $400, but there was a $200 rebate at the time. Toner refills
will cost me half that in a couple years. I figured I could spend
twice that in a year doing it with an inkjet. I hate those damned
things. One leaked all over my floorboard once, then got me and my
shop floor as I removed it. Feh!

My HP 5p is still kickin' 12 years later.

The 8 1/2" wide version is going to live a while longer since I have a serial interface
for it that I've had for about 15 years and never installed. It might find a use or not.
Either way, smaller storage footprint.

For the last few years, anything I wanted to print, I send to pdf creator which acts as a
print device for me. As long as I can display a document on a screen, it tends to get the
job done for me now.

ICK!

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Bill Noble" wrote:

[...]

sometimes you need hard copies - like for friends with no computer, or to
read and mark up - but yes, printers have certainly lost value - this one
was over $800 new. I'd sure like to find a home for some of the parts - the
main board has a 68000 processor on it - remember those?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote the following:

"Bill Noble" wrote:

[...]

Still running 2 old HP4+ units at the insurance office - where they
get pretty heavy regular service.
Have about 20 Canon Inkjets too - which tend lo last about 3 years.
Only buy the ones with separate ink tanks and I refill them for about
$4 an ounce, Usually get about 20 refills to a tank before the pads
plug up.
The printers would basically go forever if the print-heads didn't
fail. They are easy enough to replace, but cost as much as a new
printer. The current replacement stock is IP4700 units that cost about
$129 direct from Canon. Print heads for the old IP4200 are about $119
including shipping. Just took the last IP3000 out of service a month
or so ago.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 18, 7:22*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:

sometimes you need hard copies - like for friends with no computer, or to
read and mark up - but yes, printers have certainly lost value - this one
was over $800 new. *I'd sure like to find a home for some of the parts - the
main board has a 68000 processor on it - remember those?

I sure do. What a slow POS. Wanted to be 32 bit, but had only an 8 bit
bus. I loved the 68010 and 68030. The ones I programmed were in UNISYS
high speed check reader/sorters.

By the way. All the printers I have ever junked out had one or more
very nice ground and polished stainless steel rod. Very usable to make
metal things!

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-19, wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:22*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:

sometimes you need hard copies - like for friends with no computer, or to
read and mark up - but yes, printers have certainly lost value - this one
was over $800 new. *I'd sure like to find a home for some of the parts - the
main board has a 68000 processor on it - remember those?

I sure do. What a slow POS. Wanted to be 32 bit, but had only an 8 bit
bus.

Huh? Try a 16-bit bus. I think that the 68008 had the 8-bit
bus, but the 68000 was a full 16-bit bus.

How about comparing it to the Intel 8088 used in the original
IBM PC about that time? *That* one *was* stuck with an 8-bit bus.

I had a unix based system running on an 8 MHz 68000. While it
was slow -- the worst thing about it was the compiler. It produced code
as though it were for a PDP-11 instead of a 68000. The only
68000-unique codes which it bothered to use were "LINK" and "ULINK" (for
building and destroying stack frames). Otherwise, if the PDP-11 didn't
have it, the compiler didn't use it. :-) There were a lot of CISC
instructions in the 68000 (and later) which could have speeded up the
code significantly.

In particular -- I saw output from the compiler doing access to
a two-dimensional array by going through multiple steps to calculate
the offset from the base address of the array. Lots of calculations,
when you have to take into account the size of the array elements among
other things.

The later 68000 family included instructions which would do it
all in a single instruction -- base address in one register, size of
data elements in the instruction, size of a row in a register or in the
instruction, row and column offset in the instruction or in registers,
and bingo -- it could read or store in the proper element without all of
the extra instructions.

I loved the 68010 and 68030.

The 68010 had the same bus size as the 68000 -- 16 bits. The
68020 took the bus size to 32 bits, and the 68030 put the floating point
hardware math on the chip too.

The ones I programmed were in UNISYS
high speed check reader/sorters.

O.K. My 68000 system was a Cosmos CMS-16/UNX -- built in an
Intel Unibus card cage. 8 MHz CPU Clock. It included the memory
management chips right beside the CPU. The OS port was by Unisoft.

Later systems which I had which used the 68000 family we

1) 68010 -- AT&T Unix-PC (AKA 3B1) -- a cute desktop machine
with a futureistic style. 10 MHz CPU SysV flavored unix.
Rather limited as supplied, but lots of people hacking them to
improve them, such as allowing a second disk drive, and allowing
both to exceed 67 MB total size (ST-506/MFM style drives). The
largest drives which could be connected (based on availability in
that interface style) were 190 MB drives by Maxtor and one other
brand.

This machine, and the following one, were both significantly
faster than the 68000 machine -- which I blame on the poor
compiler used on the 68000 system, not the CPU's instruction
set.

2) 68010 -- 10 MHz CPU Sun 2/140 (Multibus cage, BSD flavored unix.

3) 68020 -- Several members of the Sun3 family BSD flavored unix

Now -- a Sun system which I did *not* ever have:

68030 -- Sun3x family -- one desktop machine in the same
physical format as the Sparc1, and one pedestal server machine.

By the way. All the printers I have ever junked out had one or more
very nice ground and polished stainless steel rod. Very usable to make
metal things!

Indeed so. Ground and polished -- and usually hardened, too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

How about comparing it to the Intel 8088 used in the original
IBM PC about that time? *That* one *was* stuck with an 8-bit bus.

That must have been an upgraded version. I've still got my PS/2-25 sitting
around here with the 8086 in it (and Windows 1.04 on floppy).

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:27:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jul 18, 7:22Â*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:

sometimes you need hard copies - like for friends with no computer, or to
read and mark up - but yes, printers have certainly lost value - this one
was over $800 new. Â*I'd sure like to find a home for some of the parts - the
main board has a 68000 processor on it - remember those?

I sure do. What a slow POS. Wanted to be 32 bit, but had only an 8 bit
bus. I loved the 68010 and 68030. The ones I programmed were in UNISYS
high speed check reader/sorters.

By the way. All the printers I have ever junked out had one or more
very nice ground and polished stainless steel rod. Very usable to make
metal things!

Paul

Vast majority now are plated steel
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Jul 2010 02:35:45 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-07-19, wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:22Â*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:

sometimes you need hard copies - like for friends with no computer, or to
read and mark up - but yes, printers have certainly lost value - this one
was over $800 new. Â*I'd sure like to find a home for some of the parts - the
main board has a 68000 processor on it - remember those?

I sure do. What a slow POS. Wanted to be 32 bit, but had only an 8 bit
bus.

Huh? Try a 16-bit bus. I think that the 68008 had the 8-bit
bus, but the 68000 was a full 16-bit bus.

How about comparing it to the Intel 8088 used in the original
IBM PC about that time? *That* one *was* stuck with an 8-bit bus.

How about the 6809E running OS9

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
On Jul 18, 7:22 am, "Bill Noble" wrote:

sometimes you need hard copies - like for friends with no computer, or to
read and mark up - but yes, printers have certainly lost value - this one
was over $800 new. I'd sure like to find a home for some of the parts -
the
main board has a 68000 processor on it - remember those?

I sure do. What a slow POS. Wanted to be 32 bit, but had only an 8 bit
bus. I loved the 68010 and 68030. The ones I programmed were in UNISYS
high speed check reader/sorters.

By the way. All the printers I have ever junked out had one or more
very nice ground and polished stainless steel rod. Very usable to make
metal things!

Paul

Indeed - this deceased IIIp has yielded up a couple of nice (probably
metric) rods and a few nice plastic gears and a stepper motor. Still, I'd
like the electronics to find a home - there are some parts I could use, but
mostly it's not worth saving for use other than as the parts that they were
intended to be

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-07-19, Jon Danniken wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

How about comparing it to the Intel 8088 used in the original
IBM PC about that time? *That* one *was* stuck with an 8-bit bus.

That must have been an upgraded version.

Nope! For from being an upgraded version of the 8086, it was a
more restricted one. The 8088 was an 8-bit package to make it easier to
make systems like CP/M systems which were on the 8080 (and later the
Z80), but with the newer instruction set which assumed 16-bit bus, but
was made to work on the 8-bit bus for simpler hardware compatibility.

The trailing '6' in 8086 meant "16-bit bus", and the trailing
'8' in 8088 meant "8-bit bus".

I've still got my PS/2-25 sitting
around here with the 8086 in it (and Windows 1.04 on floppy).

PS/2 was *not* the first IBM PC by a long ways. The first one
was built on the 8088 (the choked 8086), with a hardware limit of an
amazingly small amount of memory. The maximum (without playing games
with memory on plug-in cards) was something like 64KB on the system
board and up to three 64KB plug-in cards for 256 KB.

The original PC came out with only 5-1/4" floppy drives at most
-- or it could work from audio cassette tapes for storage. It was
introduced August 12 1981.

The PC-XT had the same 8088 CPU, but had an internal 10MB hard
drive and a floppy drive. It was introduced in march 1983.

The PC-AT moved to the Intel 80286 and had more memory and was
faster. It was introduced August 1984

For a history of the various machines prior to the PS/2 line,
look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer#XT

Sometime a bit after that did the PS/2 come along -- April 2
1987.

http://spider.seds.org/ps2/ps2hist.html

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564