Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default printer pieces anyone

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 06:02:14 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 07:13:29 -0400, Wes
wrote the following:

"Bill Noble" wrote:

my brother's laserjet IIIP just died - anyone still use those? it has a
good 92275A toner cartridge (just refilled), and I would expect all the
electronics except the power supply to be good - so if you need anything
drop me a note - I've tossed the case and stuff, just kept the boards and
fuser, but recycling doesn't get picked up until Monday if you want a
plastic part

email me at the address shown on my web site below - pretty much pay
shipping and whatever you need is yours - I put a few things on ebay because
they seemed like they might have a chance:

Printers sure have lost value. I have two panasonic dot matrix printers in the garage.
The wide one is likely going into dumpster this afternoon after I remove the stepper
motor.

I remember Dad printing copies of the chapters of his WWII book (_To
Rule the Sky_ by Louis Jaques, Jr and William D. Leet) on the noisy
damned dot matrix computer. Later, when I owned them, they were just
as bloody noisy, printouts were ugly, paper was a pain, etc. I'm sure
glad technology progressed there.

I remember paying something like 424.00 for it back when 424.00 was real money.

That's more than I paid for my Samsung CLP-600N color laser printer.
It was $400, but there was a $200 rebate at the time. Toner refills
will cost me half that in a couple years. I figured I could spend
twice that in a year doing it with an inkjet. I hate those damned
things. One leaked all over my floorboard once, then got me and my
shop floor as I removed it. Feh!

My HP 5p is still kickin' 12 years later.

The 8 1/2" wide version is going to live a while longer since I have a serial interface
for it that I've had for about 15 years and never installed. It might find a use or not.
Either way, smaller storage footprint.

For the last few years, anything I wanted to print, I send to pdf creator which acts as a
print device for me. As long as I can display a document on a screen, it tends to get the
job done for me now.

ICK!

Still running 2 old HP4+ units at the insurance office - where they
get pretty heavy regular service.
Have about 20 Canon Inkjets too - which tend lo last about 3 years.
Only buy the ones with separate ink tanks and I refill them for about
$4 an ounce, Usually get about 20 refills to a tank before the pads
plug up.
The printers would basically go forever if the print-heads didn't
fail. They are easy enough to replace, but cost as much as a new
printer. The current replacement stock is IP4700 units that cost about
$129 direct from Canon. Print heads for the old IP4200 are about $119
including shipping. Just took the last IP3000 out of service a month
or so ago.