Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default printer pieces anyone

On 2010-07-19, wrote:
On 19 Jul 2010 02:35:45 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-07-19,
wrote:
On Jul 18, 7:22*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:

sometimes you need hard copies - like for friends with no computer, or to
read and mark up - but yes, printers have certainly lost value - this one
was over $800 new. *I'd sure like to find a home for some of the parts - the
main board has a 68000 processor on it - remember those?

I sure do. What a slow POS. Wanted to be 32 bit, but had only an 8 bit
bus.

Huh? Try a 16-bit bus. I think that the 68008 had the 8-bit
bus, but the 68000 was a full 16-bit bus.

How about comparing it to the Intel 8088 used in the original
IBM PC about that time? *That* one *was* stuck with an 8-bit bus.

How about the 6809E running OS9

That ran rings around the IBM-PC. I had a 6809B (2 MHz version)
running OS-9 in a SWTP-6809 chassis and loved it. But it was limited to
64K of direct memory -- though various systems (including a later
version of Radio Shack's Color Computer) used various hardware tricks to
extend the memory significantly -- but each process only got 64K to work
with. This required an upgrade to OS-9 level II.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |