Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Recent metalworking projects

What were 'your' recent metalworking projects?
Wes

I just posted to the dropbox a set of files named
Chain_Wheel
that are about a device I made recently for our fire dept.
Now
that I'm in retirement mode I can take on time consuming
projects like this one. Sure I could have bought one but
what's
the fun in that, eih? It was a study in math and workholding
for
sure! I've considered removing the chain guide on the slack
side
as that point is never under load going up or down. There
could
be a pileup if one link for some reason won't behave in the
guide.
At least the operating speed is slow anyway. Perhaps we can
get more projects listed, eih? What do you have to show off?
phil kangas

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

clausing lathe repair

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
On 3/7/2010 2:06 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:
What were 'your' recent metalworking projects?
Wes

I just posted to the dropbox a set of files named
Chain_Wheel

These?

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_3.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_4.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_5.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_6.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_7.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_8.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_9.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_10.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_11.jpg

Kewl!

--Winston

Yup, that's them! For some reason they are not listed in
order
there. Oh well, at least they're there!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:06:58 -0500, the infamous "Phil Kangas"
scrawled the following:

[...]

Things that make you go Hmmmm...

Why is it that nobody ever links the dropbox in their hundreds of
mentions of it, even when they've just finished putting a project on
the damned thing? sigh

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox.html

Nice job, BTW.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
[...]

Well _I_ just found my 1/4-32 tap, which means that now I can make some
glow plug heads for Cox 049s. It was in yet another place where I stash
taps -- I really need to do a better job storing taps. Seeing a bunch
of taps clashing together in a drawer in a tool kit just makes my skin
crawl -- unfortunately I seem to respond to this by squirreling taps
away in all sorts of different places. Yes, it keeps them from clashing
into one another, but...

Now where's my 2-64 tap, for needle valves???

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote:

I just posted to the dropbox a set of files named
Chain_Wheel
that are about a device I made recently for our fire dept.
Now
that I'm in retirement mode I can take on time consuming
projects like this one. Sure I could have bought one but
what's
the fun in that, eih?

Nice work. Is that right angle attachment a 1:1 ratio?
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_8.jpg

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Now where's my 2-64 tap, for needle valves???

Mine is in a tap index. http://store.huot-store.com/tool-sto...uct/12550.html

Sadly, no spot for my 7/32-40 tap. (Aperature sight inserts) Hey, I need to try making
some of those.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:

What were 'your' recent metalworking projects?
Wes

Nothing to show off really, but this weekend I've been working on
reworking a truck box for my new(est) truck. Nobody seems to make a box
quite like I want, so I started with a 18"x18"x60" long underbody box,
cut it down to 12" deep instead of 18", welded it back together, made
some runner "feet" that will sit in between the ribs in the bed of the
truck and support the box crosswise behind the cab. I still have to fab
some end extension louver things that will fill in the remaining width
of the bed as well as protecting vent openings from rain and bugs. I'll
be putting a fan and thermostat in the box to keep it from getting
excessively hot, and will be mounting a 2KW inverter and a compressor in
the box along with the storage for tools and whatnot. When the box is
complete I'll have it sprayed with Line-X to match the bed of the truck.
The setup will also be on quick connects, so the box is removable when
needed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Phil Kangas" wrote:

I just posted to the dropbox a set of files named
Chain_Wheel
that are about a device I made recently for our fire
dept.
Now
that I'm in retirement mode I can take on time consuming
projects like this one. Sure I could have bought one but
what's
the fun in that, eih?

Nice work. Is that right angle attachment a 1:1 ratio?
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Chain_Wheel_8.jpg

Wes

Yes it is 1:1 ratio. The pockets were first roughed out with
5/8 end mill and finished with a 3/4 end mill that was
broken.
The stub was ground to use only one flute with a rounded
corner to match the radius of the link wire. Hair brained
I know but it worked nice! phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote:

Yes it is 1:1 ratio. The pockets were first roughed out with
5/8 end mill and finished with a 3/4 end mill that was
broken.
The stub was ground to use only one flute with a rounded
corner to match the radius of the link wire. Hair brained
I know but it worked nice! phil

I'd never try to get two, three or four flutes the same free handing. One sounds good to
me. Just takes a bit longer and you are retired.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
What were 'your' recent metalworking projects?
phil kangas

Well , I don't have any decent photos to post , but I've been casting
aluminum parts for casting flasks . Got 8 sides and 8 ends cast , enough
parts to mold 2 projects at the same time . I'll spend this week machining
the edges and mating surfaces and drilling holes for register pins .

--
Snag's
Driveway

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 19:30:21 -0500, Wes wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

Now where's my 2-64 tap, for needle valves???

Mine is in a tap index. http://store.huot-store.com/tool-sto...uct/12550.html

Sadly, no spot for my 7/32-40 tap. (Aperature sight inserts) Hey, I need to try making
some of those.

Wes

http://store.huot-store.com/tool-sto...dtri-tapd.html

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-07, Phil Kangas wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
[...]

That's because of the file name format. They are displayed in
*alphabetical* order, not numerical order. If you wanted them to sort
properly, you need the same number of digits in each name, so the first
nine would look like this:

Chain_Wheel_01.jpg
Chain_Wheel_02.jpg
Chain_Wheel_03.jpg
Chain_Wheel_04.jpg
Chain_Wheel_05.jpg
Chain_Wheel_06.jpg
Chain_Wheel_07.jpg
Chain_Wheel_08.jpg
Chain_Wheel_09.jpg

then they would sort before the last two.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Injection molding dies; deets in another thread.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Blue Cross socks us
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : $23,000/yr!! ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 16:13:46 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

I just pull down "Favorites" and click "Drop box"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message
What were 'your' recent metalworking projects?
Wes

I just posted to the dropbox a set of files named Chain_Wheel
that are about a device I made recently for our fire dept. Now
that I'm in retirement mode I can take on time consuming
projects like this one. Sure I could have bought one but what's
the fun in that, eih? It was a study in math and workholding for
sure! I've considered removing the chain guide on the slack side
as that point is never under load going up or down. There could
be a pileup if one link for some reason won't behave in the guide.
At least the operating speed is slow anyway. Perhaps we can
get more projects listed, eih? What do you have to show off?
phil kangas

Just small stuff until I can lift anything. Putting up pegs and shelves in
my container and shop house to get stuff off the floor. Brought back a 3/4
ton pickup of ebay stuff from Vegas yesterday. Will liquidate that to get
blogging money. Got some stuff on the list, but time, money, weather, and
health can't seem to occur on the same day.

Grrrrrrrrr.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Drilled two holes - in aluminum - tapped and installed two screws.
But it was a lot more challenging than it sounds here...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/#masthead

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-07, Phil Kangas wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
[...]

Ahh, now I 'get it' !! Always something new to learn, eih?
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-07, Phil Kangas wrote:
What were 'your' recent metalworking projects?

A simple enough one. My rent-a-daughter is not heavy enough to
undo lug nuts properly torqued, even with a breaker bar, so I took two
sections of pipe -- one larger than the other, to make a strong enough
cheater pipe which is a good fit to the breaker-bar handle -- and which
she knows to use *only* when loosening the lug nuts. Her weight reaches
pretty much the proper torque when tightening with just the breaker br.

The folding toy wrench which came with the car is enough for
operating the jack, but useless for the lug nuts.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-07, Phil Kangas wrote:
What were 'your' recent metalworking projects?

A simple enough one. My rent-a-daughter is not heavy enough to
undo lug nuts properly torqued, even with a breaker bar, so I took two
sections of pipe -- one larger than the other, to make a strong enough
cheater pipe which is a good fit to the breaker-bar handle -- and which
she knows to use *only* when loosening the lug nuts. Her weight reaches
pretty much the proper torque when tightening with just the breaker br.

The folding toy wrench which came with the car is enough for
operating the jack, but useless for the lug nuts.

Enjoy,
DoN.

How about one of these?
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=93645

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Go for it, Steve, and good luck with the medical device and
pharmaceutical lawyers.

TY for the condolences, BTW.

Jewelcome.

My mission statement is only give opinions and relate my experiences. I
will not be giving any medical advice. Therefore, the parameters should be
similar to this newsgroup.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dad gave one like this to me - different brand. He calls to have it done...
Dad was born in 21.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/... ubmit=find+it
with luck it won't wrap.
12v impact wrench.
Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:23:29 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Go for it, Steve, and good luck with the medical device and
pharmaceutical lawyers.

My mission statement is only give opinions and relate my experiences. I
will not be giving any medical advice. Therefore, the parameters should be
similar to this newsgroup.

Do you think that will deter a hungry Speaking Weasel at all? Hmm?
I didn't think so.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:23:29 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Go for it, Steve, and good luck with the medical device and
pharmaceutical lawyers.

My mission statement is only give opinions and relate my experiences. I
will not be giving any medical advice. Therefore, the parameters should
be
similar to this newsgroup.

Do you think that will deter a hungry Speaking Weasel at all? Hmm?
I didn't think so.

--
Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.
-- Chuang-tzu

It might deter a negative thinker like yourself. I go at 10 this AM to talk
to the webmaster. I have an appointment next week with a rep from Bristol
Meyers Squibb.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-07, Phil Kangas wrote:
What were 'your' recent metalworking projects?

A simple enough one. My rent-a-daughter is not heavy enough to
undo lug nuts properly torqued, even with a breaker bar, so I took two
sections of pipe -- one larger than the other, to make a strong enough
cheater pipe which is a good fit to the breaker-bar handle -- and which
she knows to use *only* when loosening the lug nuts. Her weight reaches
pretty much the proper torque when tightening with just the breaker br.

The folding toy wrench which came with the car is enough for
operating the jack, but useless for the lug nuts.

Enjoy,
DoN.

How about one of these?
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=93645

That would do the job wonderfully. But then I wouldn't have a
recent project to write about. :-)

I may consider that for later.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:15:07 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:23:29 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Go for it, Steve, and good luck with the medical device and
pharmaceutical lawyers.

My mission statement is only give opinions and relate my experiences. I
will not be giving any medical advice. Therefore, the parameters should
be
similar to this newsgroup.

Do you think that will deter a hungry Speaking Weasel at all? Hmm?
I didn't think so.

It might deter a negative thinker like yourself.

You misspelled "realist", Steve. g

I go at 10 this AM to talk
to the webmaster. I have an appointment next week with a rep from Bristol
Meyers Squibb.

Let us know what comes of it, will ya?

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:15:07 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I bought eight domain names yesterday. Decided to buy four more today. The
first step. The webmaster will start on my website, and it will be ready in
1-2 weeks. I will be using it as my sig line on all the 487 newsgroups I am
in. A week ago, I was only in nine. Funny how these things expand your
interests. ;-)

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:37:33 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
scrawled the following:

[...]

OhhhhhhK.

Looks sternly at Steve and shakes his head

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
-- Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-09, catguy wrote:

How about one of these?
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=93645

That would do the job wonderfully. But then I wouldn't have a
recent project to write about. :-)

I may consider that for later.

I can't seem to find the price on their web site. Is this one
of those things where I have to go to a store to find out?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 02:16:59 -0700, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on 12 Mar 2010 03:30:53
On 2010-03-09, catguy wrote:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=93645
I can't seem to find the price on their web site. Is this one
of those things where I have to go to a store to find out?

$25.99

Those just went off sale, too.

Yeah, if you ever find yourself on harborfreightusa.com, drop the usa
and get to the retail store, complete with prices and sales.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
--Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-03-09, catguy wrote:

How about one of these?
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=93645

That would do the job wonderfully. But then I wouldn't have a
recent project to write about. :-)

I may consider that for later.

I can't seem to find the price on their web site. Is this one
of those things where I have to go to a store to find out?

Enjoy,
DoN.

The retail web site says it may not be available in some stores. Here is the .com link. It's
$25.99.....Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To keep this thread interesting here's another of
my 'inventions' to save the world. heh heh ....
But I'm too old to chase down this part to make any
money off it. This N-10 locknut is a failure point on
the log trucks around here and is found on the loader
clam bearings. They get severe duty and when the
center lock ring fails the bearing stack is free
allowing the pivot shaft to wobble putting strain on the
hydraulic motor that rotates the clam. The damage
can be extensive and expensive. The cheap and
dirty way to end this problem is to simply weld the outer
locknut to its threads, that's what is done around here.
Perhaps someone reading this thread can make use
of this setup, I hope so. I'd be a shame for this to be
lost. Good luck, enjoy.

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut.txt

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_01.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_02.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:45:31 -0500, the infamous "Phil Kangas"
scrawled the following:

To keep this thread interesting here's another of
my 'inventions' to save the world. heh heh ....
But I'm too old to chase down this part to make any
money off it. This N-10 locknut is a failure point on
the log trucks around here and is found on the loader
clam bearings. They get severe duty and when the
center lock ring fails the bearing stack is free
allowing the pivot shaft to wobble putting strain on the
hydraulic motor that rotates the clam. The damage
can be extensive and expensive. The cheap and
dirty way to end this problem is to simply weld the outer
locknut to its threads, that's what is done around here.
Perhaps someone reading this thread can make use
of this setup, I hope so. I'd be a shame for this to be
lost. Good luck, enjoy.

Kudos on a great idea, Phil.

--
There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits
to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder.
--Ronald Reagan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In , on 12 Mar 2010 03:30:53
On 2010-03-09, catguy wrote:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=93645
I can't seem to find the price on their web site. Is this one
of those things where I have to go to a store to find out?

$25.99

Thanks! I seem to have missed something which was very plain,
unless it was on another page which did not have the prices.

Again, thanks,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 13 Mar 2010 05:03:56 GMT, the infamous "DoN. Nichols"
scrawled the following:

In , on 12 Mar 2010 03:30:53
On 2010-03-09, catguy wrote:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=93645
I can't seem to find the price on their web site. Is this one
of those things where I have to go to a store to find out?

$25.99

Thanks! I seem to have missed something which was very plain,
unless it was on another page which did not have the prices.

You were on the wrong site for prices, DoN. hfUSA vs. hf.
On hfUSA, they only show during checkout.

--
Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to
make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Phil Kangas" wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut.txt

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_01.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_02.jpg

I like it. Reusable too.

N-10, is that a Bearhug partnumber?

Wes

N-10 is a standard industry description. It is a strange
thread being 1.967in. o.d. and 18 tpi! The bearing this one
is intended for is 50mm bore. Look in MH for locknuts
and you'll find a listing of these sizes. This is a nice
schoolhouse lesson, btw.... What is the problem, what is
a viable solution, how do you machine it? ;)) phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Phil Kangas" wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut.txt

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_01.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_02.jpg

I like it. Reusable too.

N-10, is that a Bearhug partnumber?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would make one 2" long. Support it in the lathe and
bore it out then thread. Then shape the external face
and cut off the other.

Martin

Phil Kangas wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Phil Kangas" wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut.txt

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_01.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_02.jpg

I like it. Reusable too.

N-10, is that a Bearhug partnumber?

Wes

N-10 is a standard industry description. It is a strange
thread being 1.967in. o.d. and 18 tpi! The bearing this one
is intended for is 50mm bore. Look in MH for locknuts
and you'll find a listing of these sizes. This is a nice
schoolhouse lesson, btw.... What is the problem, what is
a viable solution, how do you machine it? ;)) phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Phil Kangas" wrote:

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut.txt

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_01.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_02.jpg

I like it. Reusable too.

N-10, is that a Bearhug partnumber?

Wes

N-10 is a standard industry description. It is a strange
thread being 1.967in. o.d. and 18 tpi! The bearing this one
is intended for is 50mm bore. Look in MH for locknuts
and you'll find a listing of these sizes. This is a nice
schoolhouse lesson, btw.... What is the problem, what is
a viable solution, how do you machine it? ;)) phil

i would buy one at the local bearing house. I just bought a N20 nut
for 7 bucks.

John

Recent projects [Clock and Fireplace] SonomaProducts.com Woodworking 5 October 29th 09 12:23 AM
Blanket Chest from Recent Projects Russ Stanton Woodworking Plans and Photos 10 October 25th 09 03:22 AM
INSPIRATIONS? A few of my recent projects Andy Woodworking 8 March 9th 07 11:34 PM
Recent Projects JeffB Woodworking 5 March 1st 05 07:45 AM
SOme recent Projects Will Woodworking 3 February 1st 05 06:05 AM