Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phil Kangas[_3_] Phil Kangas[_3_] is offline

Default Recent metalworking projects

To keep this thread interesting here's another of
my 'inventions' to save the world. heh heh ....
But I'm too old to chase down this part to make any
money off it. This N-10 locknut is a failure point on
the log trucks around here and is found on the loader
clam bearings. They get severe duty and when the
center lock ring fails the bearing stack is free
allowing the pivot shaft to wobble putting strain on the
hydraulic motor that rotates the clam. The damage
can be extensive and expensive. The cheap and
dirty way to end this problem is to simply weld the outer
locknut to its threads, that's what is done around here.
Perhaps someone reading this thread can make use
of this setup, I hope so. I'd be a shame for this to be
lost. Good luck, enjoy.

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut.txt

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_01.jpg

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/Locknut_02.jpg