Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wobble in Clausing variable speed drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOSb_VhQq8

My variable speed drive, both pullies actually, wobble when they
operate. I shot a video of it at 5 Hz. It appears to be crooked or off
center. Might be some bushing missing or something. It could be that
the wobble in the primary pulley causes wobble in the driven pulley.

Anyone would have any idea?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus20464" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOSb_VhQq8

My variable speed drive, both pullies actually, wobble when they
operate. I shot a video of it at 5 Hz. It appears to be crooked or off
center. Might be some bushing missing or something. It could be that
the wobble in the primary pulley causes wobble in the driven pulley.

Anyone would have any idea?

Not sure, but I'd pull the belt off and see if the bearing/bushing inside
the pulley has a lot of play due to wear.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20464 wrote:

Anyone would have any idea?

Wear in the delrin bushing. IIRC, the fit between the bushing and the shaft of the other
pulley flange should be 0.001".

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:50:15 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

"Ignoramus20464" wrote in message
m...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOSb_VhQq8

My variable speed drive, both pullies actually, wobble when they
operate. I shot a video of it at 5 Hz. It appears to be crooked or off
center. Might be some bushing missing or something. It could be that
the wobble in the primary pulley causes wobble in the driven pulley.

Anyone would have any idea?

Not sure, but I'd pull the belt off and see if the bearing/bushing inside
the pulley has a lot of play due to wear.

Ayup. A very very common issue with Clausings and pretty cheap to
replace.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ignoramus20464" wrote in message
om...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOSb_VhQq8

My variable speed drive, both pullies actually, wobble when they
operate. I shot a video of it at 5 Hz. It appears to be crooked or off
center. Might be some bushing missing or something. It could be that
the wobble in the primary pulley causes wobble in the driven pulley.

Anyone would have any idea?

Not sure, but I'd pull the belt off and see if the bearing/bushing inside
the pulley has a lot of play due to wear.

Ayup. A very very common issue with Clausings and pretty cheap to
replace.

You guys mean the bushing inside the outer variable pulley on the
motor, right?

I will take the lower VS assembly apart today and will look, as I need
to get a few parts from Clausing anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news:3qidneRPar_r2_PWnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@giganews. com...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOSb_VhQq8

My variable speed drive, both pullies actually, wobble when they
operate. I shot a video of it at 5 Hz. It appears to be crooked or off
center. Might be some bushing missing or something. It could be that
the wobble in the primary pulley causes wobble in the driven pulley.

Anyone would have any idea?

Not sure, but I'd pull the belt off and see if the bearing/bushing
inside
the pulley has a lot of play due to wear.

Ayup. A very very common issue with Clausings and pretty cheap to
replace.

You guys mean the bushing inside the outer variable pulley on the
motor, right?

I will take the lower VS assembly apart today and will look, as I need
to get a few parts from Clausing anyway.

In which case, as per Gummer's sig, grab yer wallet and yer ass.....
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3837 wrote:

You guys mean the bushing inside the outer variable pulley on the
motor, right?

I will take the lower VS assembly apart today and will look, as I need
to get a few parts from Clausing anyway.

Yup. http://wess.freeshell.org/bushing2.jpg

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOSb_VhQq8

My variable speed drive, both pullies actually, wobble when they
operate. I shot a video of it at 5 Hz. It appears to be crooked or off
center. Might be some bushing missing or something. It could be that
the wobble in the primary pulley causes wobble in the driven pulley.

Anyone would have any idea?

Yes. My 5914 had a very bad wobble, which turned out to be due to the
bottom VS pulley assembly coming loose on the motor shaft and battering
itself. The root cause was a setscrew that had become loose, but
neglect by the prior owner or owners had allowed the problem to worsen.

The whole story is in "Clausing 5914 VariDrive Wobble" and children
posted to RCM in January 2008.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I disagree and find Clausing price on this line of lathes very
reasonable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-07, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

Anyone would have any idea?

Wear in the delrin bushing. IIRC, the fit between the bushing and the shaft of the other
pulley flange should be 0.001".

OK, I have taken the whole thing apart, which was very easy.

Something does not yet make sense to me.

Here are some things I found out. I made a large number of photos and
will post them after some thinking.

1. The fit between the delrin bushing and the epoxied shaft on the
inner pulley, is good. The epoxy on the inner half of the pulley is
black and not green.

2. The epoxy on said shaft is in good shape.

3. The keyway between the inner and outer pulley is all beaten
up. this keyway is on the epoxied part of the inner half.

4. The 3/8" shaft, on which the hydraulics is mounted, is held in a
special bushing that is held inside the outer pulley by a retaining
ring. The ring was broken (but still there) and a small part of the
rim (part of the pulley) holding said ring, is broken off as well.

That shaft, due to not being held properly, was wobbling inside the
pulley and that partly explains why the hydraulics was wobbing as
well.

More disconcerting is that the inner hald of the pulley wobbled as
well. Yet, it was held tightly on the motor shaft. It also is cast
iron and coule not be bent and it does not look bent. Furthermore, the
motor's shaft does not look bent either. It makes no sense to me. I am
missing something.

The damage to both halves (worn keyway on the epoxied part, damaged
rim to hold the base for 3/8" shaft for hydraulics), seems to be
repairable with a little bit of nickel welding and another lathe
(I can probably use my friend's lathe, hopefully). Of course, welding
on the pulley with epoxy means that epoxy would need to be redone.

I will not start any repairs, until I get a complete understanding of
what is going on, what is not working and what is causing what.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus3837 wrote in
:

On 2010-02-07, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:50:15 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

"Ignoramus20464" wrote in
message ...
[...]

It depends on what you need. If it's a common replacement part, then
they are likely to have them in stock and the prices are reasonable.
It's it's a bit more unusual and they have to make one from scratch at
today's hourly wage, the prices can be astronomical. The good news is
that they will often sell you dimensioned drawings if you want to make
your own. They do the best they can to to help folks keep the older
machines in service, and I have to applaud them for that.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-07, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

[...]

Suspect motor mounted on resilient vibration damping mounts allowing the
wobble of the items hung way out on the shaft to cause wobble of the
motor itself.

Just an educated guess, I haven't been in one of those lathes before.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-07, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Yes. My 5914 had a very bad wobble, which turned out to be due to the
bottom VS pulley assembly coming loose on the motor shaft and battering
itself. The root cause was a setscrew that had become loose, but
neglect by the prior owner or owners had allowed the problem to worsen.

The whole story is in "Clausing 5914 VariDrive Wobble" and children
posted to RCM in January 2008.

My issue is similar in some ways.

First of all, the thin 3/8" shaft that held the hydraulic system,
became loose and vibrated. I think that this accounted for most of the
racket.

Second, the inside lower half pulley is not a perfect fit for the
motor shaft. So, the motor shaft is not bent, the pulley half is
perfect, and yet they are not aligned.

My feeling on this matter is that vibration of the lower pulley is not
nearly as big of an issue as vibration of the hydraulic shaft.

I am tempted to paint the motor shaft, which may eliminate this
clearance, and then replace the 3/8" shaft that holds hydraulics, and
call it a success. I am reading your thread now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-07, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:50:15 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

"Ignoramus20464" wrote in
messagenews:3qidneRPar_r2_PWnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@ giganews.com...
[...]

Doug White- Hide quoted text -

I agree....more companies should follow their example.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Unlike other models. Crom..the motor belt on my Clausing 1500 is $108
plus shipping!

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 12:48:06 -0600, "Pete C."

On 2010-02-07, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

[...]

Particularly if the belt has a "stiff" spot on it.

Just an educated guess, I haven't been in one of those lathes before.

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus3837 wrote:

On 2010-02-07, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
[...]

I would take it apart and look before coming to a conclusion.
Ultimately, the repair was not difficult.

Nor is paint strong enough. If you must, use very thin steel shimstock.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-07, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

Anyone would have any idea?

Wear in the delrin bushing. IIRC, the fit between the bushing and the shaft of the other
pulley flange should be 0.001".

OK, I have taken the whole thing apart, which was very easy.

Something does not yet make sense to me.

Here are some things I found out. I made a large number of photos and
will post them after some thinking.

That would be very helpful, I read though this and was responding earler when my computer
crashed for the second time today, second time in about 3 years.

1. The fit between the delrin bushing and the epoxied shaft on the
inner pulley, is good. The epoxy on the inner half of the pulley is
black and not green.

2. The epoxy on said shaft is in good shape.

That epoxy is teflon impregnated. It is green. At least that is what I've been told.
Take that with a grain of salt though.

http://wess.freeshell.org/driven_green.jpg

The above link shows the green coating damaged showing the black coming though.

Of course the instructions that come with the delrin af bushing calls it epoxy.

http://wess.freeshell.org/bushing1.jpg

Searching around I found this link.
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/2_fillers.html

Go down a bit, teflon powder to put in epoxy. I used moglice to repair mine. I'd be
interested in trying that if I did it again.

I also might have just ran a new bushing a bit longer on the original coating.

3. The keyway between the inner and outer pulley is all beaten
up. this keyway is on the epoxied part of the inner half.

Is the cut keyway battered or is part of the delrin bushing missing the keyway section?

http://wess.freeshell.org/bushing2.jpg

4. The 3/8" shaft, on which the hydraulics is mounted, is held in a
special bushing that is held inside the outer pulley by a retaining
ring. The ring was broken (but still there) and a small part of the
rim (part of the pulley) holding said ring, is broken off as well.

That shaft, due to not being held properly, was wobbling inside the
pulley and that partly explains why the hydraulics was wobbing as
well.

More disconcerting is that the inner hald of the pulley wobbled as
well. Yet, it was held tightly on the motor shaft. It also is cast
iron and coule not be bent and it does not look bent. Furthermore, the
motor's shaft does not look bent either. It makes no sense to me. I am
missing something.

Do you have telescoping gages to measure the ID of motor side pulley and compare it to the
motor shaft?

The damage to both halves (worn keyway on the epoxied part, damaged
rim to hold the base for 3/8" shaft for hydraulics), seems to be
repairable with a little bit of nickel welding and another lathe
(I can probably use my friend's lathe, hopefully). Of course, welding
on the pulley with epoxy means that epoxy would need to be redone.

I did some of my machining on my lathe.

http://wess.freeshell.org/spindle_driver.jpg

Threaded rod and a soft plug, stuck inside the spindle tube.

http://wess.freeshell.org/When_the_d..._improvise.jpg

Big drill powering spindle, held by my uncle.

I will not start any repairs, until I get a complete understanding of
what is going on, what is not working and what is causing what.

Best to study this thing carefully before doing anything permanent.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-07, Ignoramus20464 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOSb_VhQq8

My variable speed drive, both pullies actually, wobble when they
operate. I shot a video of it at 5 Hz. It appears to be crooked or off
center. Might be some bushing missing or something. It could be that
the wobble in the primary pulley causes wobble in the driven pulley.

These pulleys (assuming that they are like the ones on my
Bridgeport) have a Delrin sleeve separating the sliding pulley from the
shaft of the motor. These wear out. There is also Delrin around the
key, and if this wears out too, you start machining away the side of the
keyway in the motor shaft. (Hmm ... does yours have one of the
Vari-speed sheaves on the motor, or is it between an idler and another?)
I had to get a replacement rotor for my Bridgeport's motor. The rebuild
kits are relatively inexpensive, when compared with the price of new
motors or shafts -- but some shops believe in "run them until they die"
and never sink the time into replacing the sleeves and bonding the new
ones into place properly.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Isn't the service group for Clausing an umbrella-type group that does
Kalamazoo saws, Clausing, and, iirc, BP?? mebbe a cupla others?

These mutha****as wanted $900 for an effing cutoff switch for the Kal (that
you coulda made from a piece of 1/8x1/2 alum and a HD toggle light switch),
and $1300 for just part of the mechanical variable speed control.....

Even the rep on the phone said, Goddammmmmm........

Mebbe Ig is independently wealthy.....
--
EA

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A little update on this. I believe that I have the "full picture".

1. The motor shaft is completely straight (no surprise)
The fit between the lower inner pulley hub and the motor shaft is not
good and, therefore, the said hub does not want to sit straight.

This accounts only for a smaller part of vibration.

2. The hydraulic stuff sits on a long 3/8" shaft, which is held in the
lower outer pulley half by a bushing and retaining ring. Retaining
ring sits in a circle in the sald pulley half. A part of the cast iron
rim on this half is gone and the retaining ring was broken. The
bushing had a lot of wear near the retaining ring and the whole thing
vibrated a lot. I believe that eventually vibration would destroy
everything.

I ordered the retaining ring. I asked Clausing how much it is to
replace the shaft with bushing. If the shaft/bushing is affordable, I
will just buy it, if not, I can make the replacement on the
lathe/mill, it is not complicated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11495 wrote:

[...]

Did you ever post pictures?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11495 wrote:

[...]

I thin that I never did, but I have them, here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Drive-Wobble/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11495 wrote:

[...]

I think that I never did, but I have them, here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Drive-Wobble/

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-6386.jpg.html

That looks like the snap ring groove is partialy busted out. That would cause grief. Some
idjit tried to move the sheaves when the drive system wasn't running.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-6387.jpg.html

That isn't pretty. It looks like the key cut into the left side of your motor side
pulley. Is that so?

What is the key way condition of?
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-6379.jpg.html

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11495 wrote:

I think that I never did, but I have them, here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Drive-Wobble/

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-6386.jpg.html

That looks like the snap ring groove is partialy busted out. That
would cause grief. Some idjit tried to move the sheaves when the
drive system wasn't running.

Yes, it is partially busted, I think from just bad design and
fatigue. I think that the lathe worked for a few years with the groove
so busted.

I think that I can live with this ring busted. I think that the real
cause of thin end shaft vibration was that 1) it wore near the snap
ring 2) the snap ring cracked.

I think that when I get the new shaft and bushing assembly, which
turned out to be not too expensive, and install it with a good snap
ring, it should be better.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-6387.jpg.html

That isn't pretty. It looks like the key cut into the left side of your motor side
pulley. Is that so?

What is the key way condition of?

Not great condition, but, I think, fixing it is is painful due to
epoxy lining. If epoxy was not an issue, I would just weld it with
nickel and machine.

I know that you did redo epoxy lining, maybe I should look to your
example. I do not have a drill big enough to spin the spindle. But
maybe I can do something else.

Did you buy it from DeVitt machinery?

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-6379.jpg.html

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-02-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11495 wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-6386.jpg.html

That looks like the snap ring groove is partialy busted out. That
would cause grief. Some idjit tried to move the sheaves when the
drive system wasn't running.

Yes, it is partially busted, I think from just bad design and
fatigue. I think that the lathe worked for a few years with the groove
so busted.

I think that I can live with this ring busted. I think that the real
cause of thin end shaft vibration was that 1) it wore near the snap
ring 2) the snap ring cracked.

I think that when I get the new shaft and bushing assembly, which
turned out to be not too expensive, and install it with a good snap
ring, it should be better.

I hope you can get by w/o fixing that.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-6387.jpg.html

That isn't pretty. It looks like the key cut into the left side of your motor side
pulley. Is that so?

What is the key way condition of?

Not great condition, but, I think, fixing it is is painful due to
epoxy lining. If epoxy was not an issue, I would just weld it with
nickel and machine.

I know that you did redo epoxy lining, maybe I should look to your
example. I do not have a drill big enough to spin the spindle. But
maybe I can do something else.

Did you buy it from DeVitt machinery?

Yes. I'm still waiting to see how durable it is. I used a coating thinner than
recommended. If you do decide at some point to use moglice, I'd call dewitt and get some
recomendations on product and cleaners to make for the best results and adhesion. I just
bought the two part coating and since they charged OVER 3O bucks for a 'hazmat' fee, I
wasn't interested in buying cleaning agents as a second orderafter I realized those
existed. I used brakleen instead.

I've recieved a lot of ORM-D stuff. Seldom is there a up charge. I have a rather bad
feeling for Dewitt's shipping practices.

If you have to weld it up, then you might want to try an idea I had, which was to have the
shaft portion of the pulley polished and hard chromed. Living near Chigago, there has to
be someone that can plate it.

My other thought is given the new bushing looks like it is Delrin AF vs some other plastic
used years ago, is the coating even necessary?

http://www.plasticsintl.com/datashee...lrin_100AF.pdf

The coefficent of friction relative to Delrin AF on steel is .19 which is better than a
brass bushing iirc. I didn't look up the latter but I'm thinking it is .3 or so.

As you can guess, I'm not sure I made the best choices when rebuilding my drive. Oh well,
it works so far. If I could go back, I'd just bore new bushings to fit and run it and
see. Sometimes I get a bit anal on repairs. ( But not on shop cleaning )