Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Wobble in Clausing variable speed drive

In article ,

On 2010-02-07, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
Yes. My 5914 had a very bad wobble, which turned out to be due to the
bottom VS pulley assembly coming loose on the motor shaft and battering
itself. The root cause was a setscrew that had become loose, but
neglect by the prior owner or owners had allowed the problem to worsen.

The whole story is in "Clausing 5914 VariDrive Wobble" and children
posted to RCM in January 2008.

My issue is similar in some ways.

First of all, the thin 3/8" shaft that held the hydraulic system,
became loose and vibrated. I think that this accounted for most of the
racket.

Second, the inside lower half pulley is not a perfect fit for the
motor shaft. So, the motor shaft is not bent, the pulley half is
perfect, and yet they are not aligned.

My feeling on this matter is that vibration of the lower pulley is not
nearly as big of an issue as vibration of the hydraulic shaft.

I am tempted to paint the motor shaft, which may eliminate this
clearance, and then replace the 3/8" shaft that holds hydraulics, and
call it a success. I am reading your thread now.

I would take it apart and look before coming to a conclusion.
Ultimately, the repair was not difficult.

Nor is paint strong enough. If you must, use very thin steel shimstock.

Joe Gwinn