Posted to alt.home.repair
Hobbs Family

Default variable speed drive

I will soon have a well drilled on my property and it is an option to have a
variable speed motor controller. I really can't find much information about
these controllers on the web, other than industrial applications. I have
heard they are more energy efficient and work the pump less and I have heard
they are the most overrated and expensive components you can add to your
well system. Does any one have any facts. Hell, I'll take opinions too.

Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob kater

Many of the controller in use throughout industry but not sure its worth the
cost for your application. Replacement of the controller would be quite
expensive. I use an oversize pressure tank to keep down all the starting and
stopping. Without that the pump started every time I got drink of water.
"Hobbs Family" wrote in message
I will soon have a well drilled on my property and it is an option to have
a variable speed motor controller. I really can't find much information
about these controllers on the web, other than industrial applications. I
have heard they are more energy efficient and work the pump less and I have
heard they are the most overrated and expensive components you can add to
your well system. Does any one have any facts. Hell, I'll take opinions
too.

Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

Find out the model number and look on the net for info....or look up
variable speed drive well pump........

variable speed drives are more efficient but they are also more prone
to break downs and when they do go down they are more expensive to
repair than a single speed motor or pump.

Cant say much without much to go on but the above.

Like I said...take the manufacturer and model number and do some
research....ask about warranty etc......

some decent info for you

http://www.franklin-electric.com/aid/vol21no1.htm

~:

Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

wrote in message
ups.com...
Find out the model number and look on the net for info....or look up
variable speed drive well pump........

variable speed drives are more efficient but they are also more prone
to break downs and when they do go down they are more expensive to
repair than a single speed motor or pump.

Cant say much without much to go on but the above.

Like I said...take the manufacturer and model number and do some
research....ask about warranty etc......

some decent info for you

http://www.franklin-electric.com/aid/vol21no1.htm

..
And be sure to use the best lightning protection you can afford. If the pump
dies it has to come out of the well. Not an inexpensive job.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:20:49 -0700, "Hobbs Family"
wrote:

I will soon have a well drilled on my property and it is an option to have a
variable speed motor controller. I really can't find much information about
these controllers on the web, other than industrial applications. I have
heard they are more energy efficient and work the pump less and I have heard
they are the most overrated and expensive components you can add to your
well system. Does any one have any facts. Hell, I'll take opinions too.

Keith

I assume you are talking about a pressure tank-less system where the
drive speed is changed by the controller to maintain the correct
pressure. The pump runs anytime there is demand.

The chief (sole?) advantage is they deliver constant pressure, unlike
a standard pressure tank setup where the pressure varies from cut-in
to cut-out, usually 20-40 or 30-50. So when you are in the shower,
the intensity doesn't rise and fall like it does with a pressure tank.
When you are in the shower and someone runs the dishwasher or uses the
sink, the pump runs faster to deliver more water and maintain pressure
better.

Personally, I don't find the pressure change very annoying, but folks
used to city water sometimes do. If you find it really annoying, go
with the vari-drive. If not, as others have pointed out, a
conventional setup is cheaper to install and repair. I doubt there is
much energy usage difference either way. It eliminates the
maintenance associated with the pressure tank, but modern bladder
tanks don't need much anyway.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Hobbs Family wrote:

I will soon have a well drilled on my property and it is an option to have a
variable speed motor controller. I really can't find much information about
these controllers on the web, other than industrial applications. I have
heard they are more energy efficient and work the pump less and I have heard
they are the most overrated and expensive components you can add to your
well system. Does any one have any facts. Hell, I'll take opinions too.

Keith

Hmmm,
Common rule of thumb, the fancier it gets, the more trouble.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Hobbs Family

The sentiment I am picking up on is the benefits of this technology is
limited and the potential downside could be expensive. That being said, I am
sticking with the traditional setup. Thanks to all.

Keith

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
newsNKUf.178144$B94.168621@pd7tw3no...