Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus3837 Ignoramus3837 is offline

Default Wobble in Clausing variable speed drive

On 2010-02-07, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus20464 wrote:

Anyone would have any idea?

Wear in the delrin bushing. IIRC, the fit between the bushing and the shaft of the other
pulley flange should be 0.001".

OK, I have taken the whole thing apart, which was very easy.

Something does not yet make sense to me.

Here are some things I found out. I made a large number of photos and
will post them after some thinking.

1. The fit between the delrin bushing and the epoxied shaft on the
inner pulley, is good. The epoxy on the inner half of the pulley is
black and not green.

2. The epoxy on said shaft is in good shape.

3. The keyway between the inner and outer pulley is all beaten
up. this keyway is on the epoxied part of the inner half.

4. The 3/8" shaft, on which the hydraulics is mounted, is held in a
special bushing that is held inside the outer pulley by a retaining
ring. The ring was broken (but still there) and a small part of the
rim (part of the pulley) holding said ring, is broken off as well.

That shaft, due to not being held properly, was wobbling inside the
pulley and that partly explains why the hydraulics was wobbing as
well.

More disconcerting is that the inner hald of the pulley wobbled as
well. Yet, it was held tightly on the motor shaft. It also is cast
iron and coule not be bent and it does not look bent. Furthermore, the
motor's shaft does not look bent either. It makes no sense to me. I am
missing something.

The damage to both halves (worn keyway on the epoxied part, damaged
rim to hold the base for 3/8" shaft for hydraulics), seems to be
repairable with a little bit of nickel welding and another lathe
(I can probably use my friend's lathe, hopefully). Of course, welding
on the pulley with epoxy means that epoxy would need to be redone.

I will not start any repairs, until I get a complete understanding of
what is going on, what is not working and what is causing what.