Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Wobble in Clausing variable speed drive

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 11:15:43 -0600, Ignoramus3837

On 2010-02-07, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:50:15 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

"Ignoramus20464" wrote in
message
news:3qidneRPar_r2_PWnZ2dnUVZ_vidnZ2d@gigane ws.com...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPOSb_VhQq8

My variable speed drive, both pullies actually, wobble when they
operate. I shot a video of it at 5 Hz. It appears to be crooked or
off
center. Might be some bushing missing or something. It could be that
the wobble in the primary pulley causes wobble in the driven pulley.

Anyone would have any idea?

Not sure, but I'd pull the belt off and see if the bearing/bushing
inside
the pulley has a lot of play due to wear.

Ayup. A very very common issue with Clausings and pretty cheap to
replace.

You guys mean the bushing inside the outer variable pulley on the
motor, right?

I will take the lower VS assembly apart today and will look, as I need
to get a few parts from Clausing anyway.

In which case, as per Gummer's sig, grab yer wallet and yer ass.....

I disagree and find Clausing price on this line of lathes very
reasonable.

Unlike other models. Crom..the motor belt on my Clausing 1500 is $108
plus shipping!

Isn't the service group for Clausing an umbrella-type group that does
Kalamazoo saws, Clausing, and, iirc, BP?? mebbe a cupla others?

These mutha****as wanted $900 for an effing cutoff switch for the Kal (that
you coulda made from a piece of 1/8x1/2 alum and a HD toggle light switch),
and $1300 for just part of the mechanical variable speed control.....

Even the rep on the phone said, Goddammmmmm........

Mebbe Ig is independently wealthy.....
--
EA

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.