A MacAulay

Default Fluid Drive variable speed query

Have been offered a very large headstock & faceplates for turning platters &
bowls around the 1 meter Dia range. Also offered is a 3 phase motor of ?? hp
and a fluid variable drive. The fluid drive looks to be extremely large &
heavy in comparison with motor physical size. Sorry I have no specs for
either motor or fluid drive at this stage. Does anyone have any experience
with this sort of variable speed setup i.e.. talk produced. I am asking the
question as I have to ascertain how much to pay for these bits as well as
the fact that I'll have to build a base to mount headstock & drive motors
etc.

Thanks in advance

Allan www.wave.co.nz/pages/macaulay

Dan Bollinger

The headstock is the prize in this package. Once you have that you can turn
it any way you want. I know a little about hydraulics (emphasis on little).

1.It is 3-phase and you will need a converter if you don't have 3-phase
power.
2. Hydraulics can be noisy, they can whine.
3. If the rpm range of the motor is the same as what you want the headstock
to turn, you can direct-drive it through a shaft coupler.
4. As far as price, I can't advise you. Not only because I don't know, but
because you haven't provided enought information. You can get a feel for
what hydraulics are going for by searching ebay. I would expect to get at
least $350 for my used 3Hp hydraulic power unit (motor,pump, tank,
controls). (no, it is not for sale)

If you tell me the pump and motor displacement, and the pump motor rpm, I
can tell you the max rpm of the hydraulic motor. Dan

Have been offered a very large headstock & faceplates for turning platters

&