Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11495 Ignoramus11495 is offline

Default Wobble in Clausing variable speed drive

On 2010-02-09, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus11495 wrote:

A little update on this. I believe that I have the "full picture".

1. The motor shaft is completely straight (no surprise)
The fit between the lower inner pulley hub and the motor shaft is not
good and, therefore, the said hub does not want to sit straight.

This accounts only for a smaller part of vibration.

2. The hydraulic stuff sits on a long 3/8" shaft, which is held in the
lower outer pulley half by a bushing and retaining ring. Retaining
ring sits in a circle in the sald pulley half. A part of the cast iron
rim on this half is gone and the retaining ring was broken. The
bushing had a lot of wear near the retaining ring and the whole thing
vibrated a lot. I believe that eventually vibration would destroy
everything.

I ordered the retaining ring. I asked Clausing how much it is to
replace the shaft with bushing. If the shaft/bushing is affordable, I
will just buy it, if not, I can make the replacement on the
lathe/mill, it is not complicated.

Did you ever post pictures?

Wes

I thin that I never did, but I have them, here

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Clau...-Drive-Wobble/