Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1100 Pounds Capacity

Wadda ya think?

1100 lbs each or total for all 4?

I need to move something that weighs right at 4000 lbs. I can lift it with
my ten ton mini ram, but I need to move it out of the way, do some work, and
then move it back.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
Wadda ya think?

1100 lbs each or total for all 4?

I need to move something that weighs right at 4000 lbs. I can lift it with
my ten ton mini ram, but I need to move it out of the way, do some work, and
then move it back.

I believe that it is for all four together. These are light duty 2"
casters, probably 100 lbs capacity each.

See if you can find a pallet jack somewhere, if you are in
Chicagoland, you can borrow mine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:57:47 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

Wadda ya think?

1100 lbs each or total for all 4?

I need to move something that weighs right at 4000 lbs. I can lift it with
my ten ton mini ram, but I need to move it out of the way, do some work, and
then move it back.

I think 1100 lbs would be pushing it for the whole set. Take
a look at the load rating on these similar castors:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=90997

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=41518

I couldn't find a 2 inch stem castor, but the 3 inch version
is only rated at 100 lbs. That would be maybe 300 lbs per
corner times four, ~1200 lbs total. Heaven forbid you hit a
hole or something forcing more of the load onto the
others...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Wadda ya think?

1100 lbs each or total for all 4?

I need to move something that weighs right at 4000 lbs. I can lift it
with my ten ton mini ram, but I need to move it out of the way, do some
work, and then move it back.

You would be low to the floor. If everything goes right, it will work. If
it don't, you'll be trying to jack up 4,000# just to get the wreckage out.
I'd say it's a coin toss.

I used to rig. Rule is to make it three times what you need. I don't think
you'll need that much overkill, but I'd suggest at least 1.5x. Have a clean
floor, use low rollers, anticipate cracks and obstructions, and tie it off
if there is any slope AT ALL. Remember, once something gets going, it gains
speed and aims for the most expensive item in the place.

Keep us posted.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Wadda ya think?

1100 lbs each or total for all 4?

I need to move something that weighs right at 4000 lbs. I can lift it
with my ten ton mini ram, but I need to move it out of the way, do some
work, and then move it back.

I think I'll go with 4 of the smaller 1/2 ton furniture dollies then. They
are only 9.99 each (if they have them in stock). Will take up more room,
but I don't think it will be totally horrible. I can lift the unit with my
mini ten ton ram, and just block it up until the dollies will fit under.

P.S. Even the furniture dollies are hard to move with max weight on them.
I have a ton of drywall on two of them out in the shop now, and I have to
wear good rubber soles and lean into it to get it to move.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-06, Bob La Londe wrote:
Wadda ya think?

1100 lbs each or total for all 4?

I need to move something that weighs right at 4000 lbs. I can lift it
with my ten ton mini ram, but I need to move it out of the way, do some
work, and then move it back.

I believe that it is for all four together. These are light duty 2"
casters, probably 100 lbs capacity each.

See if you can find a pallet jack somewhere, if you are in Chicagoland,
you can borrow mine.

I agree with that assessment and recommendation. Most pallet
jacks I've seen are rated at 2 to 3 tons and work well for heavy
loads on flat concrete. Also see
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VX9NL8.

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aurgh!

My ten ton mini ram (to lift the item) is about 1/6" too tall.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
My ten ton mini ram (to lift the item) is about 1/6" too tall.

Let some air out of its tires. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

My ten ton mini ram (to lift the item) is about 1/6" too tall.

Given a huge lack of detail, general advice follows.

Insert lever, place ram under lever, lift item 2/6 inch, shim/block,
remove ram and lever, place ram under item, lift.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
My ten ton mini ram (to lift the item) is about 1/6" too tall.

Let some air out of its tires. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

yeah, the first thing i thought of was an old joke about two farmers
sawing a slot in the top of a doorway for the ears of their too-tall mule.

i can't remember it exactly and i couldn't find it on line.

something about some guy maybe a traveling salesman comes upon two farmers
sawing a slot in the top of the doorway of their barn so they can get
their too-tall mule in. the salesman asks them why they don't just dig
away some dirt below the door and the farmers reply indignantly "we didn't
say his legs were too long, we said his ears were too tall!" or something
like that. at the time that joke cracked me up.

I love those stories. My banker told me one the other day that made me think
of it. He swears it's a true story, and an old one.

A truck got stuck going into the Holland Tunnel. Police came, a tow truck
came...they couldn't pull it back, because the front of the trailer was
crushed into the top of the tunnel and jammed pretty good.

A schoolbus passed by in the open lane, windows open. A schoolgirl leaned
out and said, "Let some air out of the tires." Which they did, and extracted
the truck.

I love it. I hope it's true.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I don't know if that specific story is true, but I have seen over height
semi's get stuck, and get out from under a bridge by that method personally.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

My ten ton mini ram (to lift the item) is about 1/6" too tall.

Given a huge lack of detail, general advice follows.

Insert lever, place ram under lever, lift item 2/6 inch, shim/block,
remove ram and lever, place ram under item, lift.

Yep pretty much what I planned to do. Would have been so much simpler if
the slightly smaller 5 ton mini ram had been in stock locally. Oh, well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

It's been making me chuckle since last Friday, when I heard it. That's what
prompted me to spit it out when I saw your message. I knew it didn't make
any sense, but it still made me chuckle to say it. g

If this particular banker wasn't such a nice guy, I'd make him tell me where
he got the story.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-07, Ed Huntress wrote:
I love those stories. My banker told me one the other day that made me think
of it. He swears it's a true story, and an old one.

A truck got stuck going into the Holland Tunnel. Police came, a tow truck
came...they couldn't pull it back, because the front of the trailer was
crushed into the top of the tunnel and jammed pretty good.

A schoolbus passed by in the open lane, windows open. A schoolgirl leaned
out and said, "Let some air out of the tires." Which they did, and extracted
the truck.

I love it. I hope it's true.

I have seen this happen with a rental truck.

I had to do the same to get my truck, with some machine in the back,
into my garage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:09:58 -0400, the infamous Ecnerwal
scrawled the following:

In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

My ten ton mini ram (to lift the item) is about 1/6" too tall.

Given a huge lack of detail, general advice follows.

Insert lever, place ram under lever, lift item 2/6 inch, shim/block,
remove ram and lever, place ram under item, lift.

Aw, c'mon. Whatever happened to "hammer on it until it fits"?

--
For me, pragmatism is not enough. Nor is that fashionable word "consensus."

To me consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs,
principles, values and policies in search of something in which no one
believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very
issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement
on the way ahead. What great cause would have been fought and won under
the banner "I stand for consensus"?
--Margaret Thatcher (in a 1981 speech)

LJ sez: It's a good thing we have concensus on the case of Anthropogenic
Global Warming (kumbaya), isn't it?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:24:07 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

snip
I love those stories. My banker told me one the other day that made me think
of it. He swears it's a true story, and an old one.

A truck got stuck going into the Holland Tunnel. Police came, a tow truck
came...they couldn't pull it back, because the front of the trailer was
crushed into the top of the tunnel and jammed pretty good.

A schoolbus passed by in the open lane, windows open. A schoolgirl leaned
out and said, "Let some air out of the tires." Which they did, and extracted
the truck.

My old boss used to spend some time chasing firemen/calls.
Was at an excavating accident one time where a big
earthmover had rolled over crushing the operator. The
operator was a goner, but they still needed to extract the
body. He said they were trying to figure out how big of a
wrecker/crane they were going to need to lift it off him. He
went up to one of them and politely suggested someone could
get a shovel and a few minutes digging would do the task.
Which is what they eventually did

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote:

My ten ton mini ram (to lift the item) is about 1/6" too tall.

Given a huge lack of detail, general advice follows.

Insert lever, place ram under lever, lift item 2/6 inch, shim/block,
remove ram and lever, place ram under item, lift.

Aw, c'mon. Whatever happened to "hammer on it until it fits"?

really really long screwdriver.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
My ten ton mini ram (to lift the item) is about 1/6" too tall.

Let some air out of its tires. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

yeah, the first thing i thought of was an old joke about two farmers sawing
a slot in the top of a doorway for the ears of their too-tall mule.

i can't remember it exactly and i couldn't find it on line.

something about some guy maybe a traveling salesman comes upon two farmers
sawing a slot in the top of the doorway of their barn so they can get their
too-tall mule in. the salesman asks them why they don't just dig away some
dirt below the door and the farmers reply indignantly "we didn't say his
legs were too long, we said his ears were too tall!" or something like that.
at the time that joke cracked me up.

Reminds me of this one for some reason...

Dumb guy goes and buys himself a shiny new chain saw. His salesman
assures him he'll be able to cut N cords of wood a day with it.

He goes home, but try hard as he might, can only cut N-5 cords.

Disappointed, he takes the saw back and the embarrassed salesman takes
it in for warranty repair.

Dumb guy picks it up a couple of days later, but again, hard as he
tries, can now only cut N-4 cords... better but not right.

He returns it yet again, and the whole process repeats till dumb guy is
finally cutting N-1 cord... better, but still a disappointment.

On his final trip to the store, the salesman apologizes profusely, and
explains to dumb guy he's never had an issue with this model, and can't
understand whats wrong. Puzzled, the salesman picks up the saw, snaps on
the ignition and gives it a smart yank... ring ding ding ding ding, ring
ding ding ding ding.

Dumb guy, now visibly shaken, sporting bugged out eyes and slack jaw
yells over the din to the salesman, "Whats that noise, Whats that noise?"

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:

[...]

Ha-ha! I have to remember that one. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 05:36:48 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:

[...]

that happened just north of Montreal!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 05:36:48 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:

[...]

LOL! I think we're seeing the attitude of an English-speaking Canadian
here...

My favorite was a remark made a French kid, about my age then (20), when I
was studying in Europe, when I asked him what he thought of Canadian French
speakers. "Whatever it is they speak, it isn't French," he said. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

LOL! I think we're seeing the attitude of an English-speaking Canadian
here...

My favorite was a remark made a French kid, about my age then (20), when I
was studying in Europe, when I asked him what he thought of Canadian French
speakers. "Whatever it is they speak, it isn't French," he said. g

That's what they say about anyone who doesn't speak the same patois
they do.

Much like what my German girlfriend says about those who speak other
dialects of Deutsch.

And the governor of California does NOT speak German, he speaks Austrian!

Tribalism is alive and well.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

LOL! I think we're seeing the attitude of an English-speaking Canadian
here...

My favorite was a remark made a French kid, about my age then (20), when
I was studying in Europe, when I asked him what he thought of Canadian
French speakers. "Whatever it is they speak, it isn't French," he said.

That's what they say about anyone who doesn't speak the same patois they
do.

Much like what my German girlfriend says about those who speak other
dialects of Deutsch.

And the governor of California does NOT speak German, he speaks Austrian!

Tribalism is alive and well.

David

Not to beat this old horse, but we had some close friends who were French
Canadian. He was a highly educated MD, an international representative for
Carter-Wallace pharmaceuticals. She was a beautiful farm girl from Quebec.
She was often upset when her husband wouldn't take her on his trips to
Paris. He went there frequently but only took her once in a while.

One night when he was alone, sitting on my parents' patio and drunk enough
to just about fall off his chair, he told us why: Her accent was so
embarrassing, he said, that he would only take her to Paris when he wasn't
going to be meeting with customers. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 21:31:56 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 05:36:48 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Wixon" wrote:

[...]

As in "les potats"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

DiL in the other London will never teach in the "better" schools
because of her cockney accent.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 8, 4:42*am, Erik wrote:
In article ,
*"William Wixon" wrote:

[...]

Erik- Hide quoted text -

That story was originally (I think) told on a "Bert and I" record back
in the late 50's. Bert and I were a couple of Yale students named
Marshall and Dodge, who became pretty well known for their humorous
stories told in heavy Maine accents. This one was "The Silent Chain
Saw". It's possible and even likely that they heard the story from
someone else, but they were the ones who made it popular.

"Harry Sleeps at L.L. Bean" and "Gagnon, The Champion Moose Caller"
were a couple of other favorites.

John Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That story was originally (I think) told on a "Bert and I" record back
in the late 50's. Bert and I were a couple of Yale students named
Marshall and Dodge, who became pretty well known for their humorous
stories told in heavy Maine accents. This one was "The Silent Chain
Saw". It's possible and even likely that they heard the story from
someone else, but they were the ones who made it popular.

"Harry Sleeps at L.L. Bean" and "Gagnon, The Champion Moose Caller"
were a couple of other favorites.

John Martin

I heard the saw story from my dad... probably in the early 60's.

A quick search turned up this on Bert & I... I'm sure there is much more
if you poke around a little.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_&_I

http://exiles.stores.yahoo.net/bestofbertandi.html

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Probably 1100 for all four. You may be better served with a
bunch of wooden dowels, and roll it. Of course, depending
how far you want to go.

More detail is a good thing.

--
Christopher A. Young