Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Aurgh!

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:09:58 -0400, the infamous Ecnerwal
scrawled the following:

In article ,
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

My ten ton mini ram (to lift the item) is about 1/6" too tall.

Given a huge lack of detail, general advice follows.

Insert lever, place ram under lever, lift item 2/6 inch, shim/block,
remove ram and lever, place ram under item, lift.

Aw, c'mon. Whatever happened to "hammer on it until it fits"?

--
For me, pragmatism is not enough. Nor is that fashionable word "consensus."

To me consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs,
principles, values and policies in search of something in which no one
believes, but to which no one objects; the process of avoiding the very
issues that have to be solved, merely because you cannot get agreement
on the way ahead. What great cause would have been fought and won under
the banner "I stand for consensus"?
--Margaret Thatcher (in a 1981 speech)

LJ sez: It's a good thing we have concensus on the case of Anthropogenic
Global Warming (kumbaya), isn't it?