Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Axminster instructions

I have an Axminster drill grinding attachment that was in a box of stuff
from my father's tools .Unfortunately , I don't have the instructions ...
I can probably puzzle out how to use it , but would prefer to find a copy
of the instructions - so far the only thing I know for sure is that it is
supposed to work on the side of the grinding wheel . If anyone has a set of
the instructions , I would really appreciate a copy . I did already google
for the info , and came up dry .

--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs wrote:
I have an Axminster drill grinding attachment that was in a box of
stuff from my father's tools .Unfortunately , I don't have the
instructions ... I can probably puzzle out how to use it , but would
prefer to find a copy of the instructions - so far the only thing I
know for sure is that it is supposed to work on the side of the
grinding wheel . If anyone has a set of the instructions , I would
really appreciate a copy . I did already google for the info , and
came up dry .

Upon further searching without limiting the search to Axminster , this
unit could be any one of a handful of brands (Axminster was the first hit on
a google images search ... but they all look almost exactly alike) . The
instructions for a General #825 are very concise , and will be what I'll use
to set it up . At last , a sharp drill bit with flutes the same length !
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:02:40 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I have an Axminster drill grinding attachment that was in a box of stuff
from my father's tools .Unfortunately , I don't have the instructions ...
I can probably puzzle out how to use it , but would prefer to find a copy
of the instructions - so far the only thing I know for sure is that it is
supposed to work on the side of the grinding wheel . If anyone has a set of
the instructions , I would really appreciate a copy . I did already google
for the info , and came up dry .

Good Afternoon

Try the following Axminster download URL

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...ds-manuals.htm

Hope this helps you find what your are looking for

Regards, Bob
rgentry at oz dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have an Axminster drill grinding attachment that was in a box of
stuff from my father's tools .Unfortunately , I don't have the
instructions ... I can probably puzzle out how to use it , but
would prefer to find a copy of the instructions - so far the only
thing I know for sure is that it is supposed to work on the side of
the grinding wheel . If anyone has a set of the instructions , I
would really appreciate a copy . I did already google for the info ,
and came up dry .

Good Afternoon

Try the following Axminster download URL

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...ds-manuals.htm

Hope this helps you find what your are looking for

Regards, Bob
rgentry at oz dot net

Thanks for the link , Bob . I was unable to find a manual there , but not
to worry , several others make units that are virtually identical , and I
have downloaded and printed one fro General - their #825 is a dead ringer .
And for all I know , this is one is another brand - Axminster was just the
first hit on a Google Images search .
--
Snag
every answer
leads to another
question

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:

[...]

Note that this grinder requires rather precise adjustment of the distance
from the wheel to achieve proper clearance angles along with feeding. There
are some examples on the web showing the grinder on an adjustable slide
mount. You probably will not get a good drill the first time but it is
possible once you get it sorted out.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

another brand - Axminster was just the first hit on a Google Images
search . --
Snag
every answer
leads to another
question

Note that this grinder requires rather precise adjustment of the
distance from the wheel to achieve proper clearance angles along with
feeding. There are some examples on the web showing the grinder on an
adjustable slide mount. You probably will not get a good drill the
first time but it is possible once you get it sorted out.

Don Young

Thanks Don , I kinda got that impression from the instructions . I'm
probably going to build a dedicated grinder set-up for it , and since it
seems to be missing part of the base , I'll probably get to do a bit of
aluminum casting . More fun !!
I have a "spare" 3450 RPM motor that will make an excellent grinder with a
cup wheel , which would seem to be the best choice for this project . Gotta
beat my hand-sharpening technique ...
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:21:12 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
I have an Axminster drill grinding attachment that was in a box of
stuff from my father's tools .Unfortunately , I don't have the
instructions ... I can probably puzzle out how to use it , but would
prefer to find a copy of the instructions - so far the only thing I
know for sure is that it is supposed to work on the side of the
grinding wheel . If anyone has a set of the instructions , I would
really appreciate a copy . I did already google for the info , and
came up dry .

Upon further searching without limiting the search to Axminster , this
unit could be any one of a handful of brands (Axminster was the first hit on
a google images search ... but they all look almost exactly alike) . The
instructions for a General #825 are very concise , and will be what I'll use
to set it up . At last , a sharp drill bit with flutes the same length !

I have a General 825. Where did you find a copy of the manual? Lots of
ebay "for-sale" ads, but little else on Goo.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:26:27 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Don Young wrote:

snip
Note that this grinder requires rather precise adjustment of the
distance from the wheel to achieve proper clearance angles along with
feeding. There are some examples on the web showing the grinder on an
adjustable slide mount. You probably will not get a good drill the
first time but it is possible once you get it sorted out.

Don Young

Thanks Don , I kinda got that impression from the instructions . I'm
probably going to build a dedicated grinder set-up for it , and since it
seems to be missing part of the base , I'll probably get to do a bit of
aluminum casting . More fun !!
I have a "spare" 3450 RPM motor that will make an excellent grinder with a
cup wheel , which would seem to be the best choice for this project . Gotta
beat my hand-sharpening technique ...

One home-brew example he

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/dr...ill-grind.html

I wouldn't bother trying to replicate your missing base. All
you should need is a vertical hole the proper size in the
new adjustable block. Note how the old base really serves
little purpose anymore...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:27:38 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:26:27 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Don Young wrote:

snip
[...]

But the "hole" is actually a vee with a sprung pressure plate and is
NOT vertical.

That is assuming that we are discussing the same hole G

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Like Richard said, the hole where the post/stem is secured in place is not
vertical.

This angle is important to the design, not that it needs to be exactly
perfectly duplicated, but the post/stem angle is necessary for obtaining a
proper point angle while resharpening.

I don't know where my General drill grinding fixture is (also made with the
Sears Craftsman label on them), but maybe someone can measure that angle for
Snag.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:26:27 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Don Young wrote:

snip
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've been thinking of building a setup to rough sharpen drills using a
4.5 inch angle grinder.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Keith Marshall wrote:
http://www.generaltools.com/Products...ment__825.aspx

Click on the Instructions/FAQ tab and there's a "Download" button at
the bottom of the instructions.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Yup , Kieth nailed it .
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:26:27 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Don Young wrote:

snip
[...]

I think we're talking apples and oranges here . There is a "base" part ,
which holds the rotating assembly and has a slot to bolt it to a horizontal
surface . What I was referring to is a "sub-base" that will have a square
protrusion on top that will fit the slot in the "base" part and let me slide
it towards/away from the grinding wheel . The part I was referring to may
not actually be on the original attachment - but seems like a good idea to
keep the whole thing from rotating .
--
Snag
every answer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:25:43 -0400, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Thanks Don , I kinda got that impression from the instructions . I'm
probably going to build a dedicated grinder set-up for it , and since it
seems to be missing part of the base , I'll probably get to do a bit of
aluminum casting . More fun !!
I have a "spare" 3450 RPM motor that will make an excellent grinder with a
cup wheel , which would seem to be the best choice for this project . Gotta
beat my hand-sharpening technique ...

I've been thinking of building a setup to rough sharpen drills using a
4.5 inch angle grinder.

Heck, Gerry. Just lay the thing sideways on the bench with the
trigger locked on and have at it. It works as well as a grinder or
belt sander. (I use my 1" belt sandah most often, though.) In the
field, I have used a DA sander. _That's_ the tricky monster.

Terry just doesn't get enough practice, ah betcha.

--
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in
nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks Don , I kinda got that impression from the instructions . I'm
probably going to build a dedicated grinder set-up for it , and since it
seems to be missing part of the base , I'll probably get to do a bit of
aluminum casting . More fun !!
I have a "spare" 3450 RPM motor that will make an excellent grinder with a
cup wheel , which would seem to be the best choice for this project . Gotta
beat my hand-sharpening technique ...

I've been thinking of building a setup to rough sharpen drills using a
4.5 inch angle grinder.

Heck, Gerry. Just lay the thing sideways on the bench with the
trigger locked on and have at it. It works as well as a grinder or
belt sander. (I use my 1" belt sandah most often, though.) In the
field, I have used a DA sander. _That's_ the tricky monster.

Terry just doesn't get enough practice, ah betcha.

I have a Drill Doctor for sharpening but when I have collected enough
abused bits, I prefer to grind the evidence away by hand and save wear
and tear on the diamond wheel. I do have a home built pedestal grinder
that has served me well for 45 years - double shafted 1/4 HP motor
shrouded with sheet steel and with cobbled together tool rests.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thanks Don , I kinda got that impression from the instructions .
I'm probably going to build a dedicated grinder set-up for it , and
since it seems to be missing part of the base , I'll probably get
to do a bit of aluminum casting . More fun !!
I have a "spare" 3450 RPM motor that will make an excellent
grinder with a cup wheel , which would seem to be the best choice
for this project . Gotta beat my hand-sharpening technique ...

I've been thinking of building a setup to rough sharpen drills using
4.5 inch angle grinder.

Heck, Gerry. Just lay the thing sideways on the bench with the
trigger locked on and have at it. It works as well as a grinder or
belt sander. (I use my 1" belt sandah most often, though.) In the
field, I have used a DA sander. _That's_ the tricky monster.

Terry just doesn't get enough practice, ah betcha.

And you'd be right . I seldom have to sharpen , and when I do I have
problems keeping the flutes even and the angles correct . But my bits are
all getting dull , and I'd like to at least try to do it right - and can't
afford the Drill Doctor 750 I'd really like to have . A short period of
unemployment followed by a 20% reduction in pay has really raised hell with
my plans for tooling and shop expansion to hold them . I've had this thing
for years , it was in a box of stuff from Dad's tools when he passed .
Figgered I'd dig it out and try to set it up .
--
Snag
Glad I've got a

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 16, 9:25*pm, Gerald Miller wrote:

I've been thinking of building a setup to rough sharpen drills using a
4.5 inch angle grinder.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Well, there is a cheap adapter to use an angle grinder as a cutoff
saw, I suppose you could use it to thin the point if you wear the face
shield and body armor from your riot gear.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 05:21:11 -0500, the infamous "Terry Coombs"
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

A quick tip for hand-grinding is to use a magnifying headset to bring
the work a bit closer to our old eyes. I happily keep one of these in
the bathroom for splinters and one in the shop for close work.
An $8 investment (when bought on sale.)

--
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in
nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding
danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.
-- Helen Keller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 06:02:02 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

A quick tip for hand-grinding is to use a magnifying headset to bring
the work a bit closer to our old eyes. I happily keep one of these in
the bathroom for splinters and one in the shop for close work.
An $8 investment (when bought on sale.)

The two I have, cost me ~$30 each some 30+ years ago. My shop safety
glasses are the same as I wear for the computer - upside down
bi-focals with a small mid distance (24") lens top centre in reading
glasses (12"). With the "opti-visor" in place, I end up working at
about 3".
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:01:55 -0400, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

http://www.generaltools.com/Products...ment__825.aspx

Click on the Instructions/FAQ tab and there's a "Download" button at the
bottom of the instructions.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

Aw, fer chrissake, ask the manufacturer! Whoda thunk it?

Thanks, Keith.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.generaltools.com/Products...ment__825.aspx

Click on the Instructions/FAQ tab and there's a "Download" button at the
bottom of the instructions.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

Aw, fer chrissake, ask the manufacturer! Whoda thunk it?

Thanks, Keith.

Joe

I think that's okay, but only as a last resort. ;)

Don Young

Damn Axminster... Rod UK diy 18 March 17th 09 03:17 PM
Axminster Rick UK diy 0 October 24th 05 05:26 PM
Axminster RichardS UK diy 0 October 24th 05 02:18 PM
FS: Axminster morticer Norman Billingham UK diy 0 August 8th 05 02:38 PM
New Axminster web site John Rumm UK diy 2 September 30th 04 12:35 AM