Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Axminster instructions

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:52:53 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:25:43 -0400, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:26:27 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Thanks Don , I kinda got that impression from the instructions . I'm
probably going to build a dedicated grinder set-up for it , and since it
seems to be missing part of the base , I'll probably get to do a bit of
aluminum casting . More fun !!
I have a "spare" 3450 RPM motor that will make an excellent grinder with a
cup wheel , which would seem to be the best choice for this project . Gotta
beat my hand-sharpening technique ...

I've been thinking of building a setup to rough sharpen drills using a
4.5 inch angle grinder.

Heck, Gerry. Just lay the thing sideways on the bench with the
trigger locked on and have at it. It works as well as a grinder or
belt sander. (I use my 1" belt sandah most often, though.) In the
field, I have used a DA sander. _That's_ the tricky monster.

Terry just doesn't get enough practice, ah betcha.

I have a Drill Doctor for sharpening but when I have collected enough
abused bits, I prefer to grind the evidence away by hand and save wear
and tear on the diamond wheel. I do have a home built pedestal grinder
that has served me well for 45 years - double shafted 1/4 HP motor
shrouded with sheet steel and with cobbled together tool rests.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada