Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Axminster instructions

Like Richard said, the hole where the post/stem is secured in place is not
vertical.

This angle is important to the design, not that it needs to be exactly
perfectly duplicated, but the post/stem angle is necessary for obtaining a
proper point angle while resharpening.

I don't know where my General drill grinding fixture is (also made with the
Sears Craftsman label on them), but maybe someone can measure that angle for
Snag.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:26:27 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Don Young wrote:

snip
Note that this grinder requires rather precise adjustment of the
distance from the wheel to achieve proper clearance angles along with
feeding. There are some examples on the web showing the grinder on an
adjustable slide mount. You probably will not get a good drill the
first time but it is possible once you get it sorted out.

Don Young

Thanks Don , I kinda got that impression from the instructions . I'm
probably going to build a dedicated grinder set-up for it , and since it
seems to be missing part of the base , I'll probably get to do a bit of
aluminum casting . More fun !!
I have a "spare" 3450 RPM motor that will make an excellent grinder with
cup wheel , which would seem to be the best choice for this project .
Gotta
beat my hand-sharpening technique ...

One home-brew example he

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/dr...ill-grind.html

I wouldn't bother trying to replicate your missing base. All
you should need is a vertical hole the proper size in the
new adjustable block. Note how the old base really serves
little purpose anymore...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b