Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Axminster instructions

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 05:21:11 -0500, the infamous "Terry Coombs"
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:25:43 -0400, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:26:27 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Thanks Don , I kinda got that impression from the instructions .
I'm probably going to build a dedicated grinder set-up for it , and
since it seems to be missing part of the base , I'll probably get
to do a bit of aluminum casting . More fun !!
I have a "spare" 3450 RPM motor that will make an excellent
grinder with a cup wheel , which would seem to be the best choice
for this project . Gotta beat my hand-sharpening technique ...

I've been thinking of building a setup to rough sharpen drills using
4.5 inch angle grinder.

Heck, Gerry. Just lay the thing sideways on the bench with the
trigger locked on and have at it. It works as well as a grinder or
belt sander. (I use my 1" belt sandah most often, though.) In the
field, I have used a DA sander. _That's_ the tricky monster.

Terry just doesn't get enough practice, ah betcha.

And you'd be right . I seldom have to sharpen , and when I do I have
problems keeping the flutes even and the angles correct . But my bits are
all getting dull , and I'd like to at least try to do it right - and can't
afford the Drill Doctor 750 I'd really like to have . A short period of
unemployment followed by a 20% reduction in pay has really raised hell with
my plans for tooling and shop expansion to hold them . I've had this thing
for years , it was in a box of stuff from Dad's tools when he passed .
Figgered I'd dig it out and try to set it up .

A quick tip for hand-grinding is to use a magnifying headset to bring
the work a bit closer to our old eyes. I happily keep one of these in
the bathroom for splinters and one in the shop for close work.
An $8 investment (when bought on sale.)

--
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in
nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding