Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DYKEM spray can warning!

A few minutes ago I was in the metal working part of my small
electronic assembly service plant. I had been noticing a somewhat
familiar odor the last few weeks, but thought it was from something
one of my employees had been doing in the shop. Now I see a BIG mess
of red-black sticky stuff on two of the storage shelves.

My rules, and a bunch of pens, pencils, paper, and other stuff are
splattered and stuck in a puddle of the stuff.

It all came from a rather new spray can of DYKEM red. A pin hole
developed in the welded seam of the can, about 1 inch from the bottom.
Almost the entire can emptied itself onto the shelves and the stuff on
the shelves.

I can clean it up with denatured alcohol,but what a mess! I am going
to take the can back to Fastenall and see if they will give me a new
one.

The can of blue DYKEM looks ok, but I am going to store it inside a
leak proof container. Too late for the red.

Just thought you all need to know!

Paul in Central Oregon.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had the same thing happen about a year ago.
A blue "Precision Brand" spray can leaked, the red one is still fine
(bought at the same time).
Relatively new can, heated shop... blue dye leaked out and ran down onto
the next shelf.

" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:40:05 -0600, "David Courtney"
wrote:

I had the same thing happen about a year ago.
A blue "Precision Brand" spray can leaked, the red one is still fine
(bought at the same time).
Relatively new can, heated shop... blue dye leaked out and ran down onto
the next shelf.

Shall I mention the time I carelessly tossed a can of spray graphite
lubricant into a toolbox?

" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
[...]

I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Courtney wrote:
I had the same thing happen about a year ago.
A blue "Precision Brand" spray can leaked, the red one is still fine
(bought at the same time).
Relatively new can, heated shop... blue dye leaked out and ran down onto
the next shelf.

Use the Dykem in the plastic dauber container.
Works better and is cheaper than the spray can.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:

I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.

A four pack? Beer is properly packaged in numbers divisable by 6.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

My rules, and a bunch of pens, pencils, paper, and other stuff are
splattered and stuck in a puddle of the stuff.

It all came from a rather new spray can of DYKEM red. A pin hole
developed in the welded seam of the can, about 1 inch from the bottom.
Almost the entire can emptied itself onto the shelves and the stuff on
the shelves.

I remember a guy that was into backpacking, bicycle camping, and such. He had a rule
about radioactive items and how you packed them. In his case he was talking about things
like oil, honey, and such in his pack that a leak would cause much grief with clothing,
books and food.

I try to remember the guys warning everytime I store something that a leak would cause me
much heartburn.

A zip lock is excellent secondary containment.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:

I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.

A four pack? Beer is properly packaged in numbers divisable by 6.

Wes

Yeah, six beers before twelve and twelve beers before six.

(Noon and 6 PM that is...)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Ted Frater wrote:

I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.

A four pack? Beer is properly packaged in numbers divisable by 6.

Wes

He said "boot", maybe they pack 'em in fours on his side of the pond?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message

[...]

I had a six pack of Pepsi in cans tucked away in a closet and forgot it
was there. About a year after I'd put it there I saw it and when I went
to move it the cardboard was stuck to the floor.

A couple of cans had developed pinhole leaks right through their walls
and the pepsi which leaked through them is what dried and stuck the
cardboard to the floor.

I cut open one of the cans and snapped a picture of a hole:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/pepsi.html

I pinged the Pepsi folks about what happened and they replied that it
wasn't unusual for that to happen and that's why there's a "use by" date
on them.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I had the same thing happen about a year ago.
A blue "Precision Brand" spray can leaked, the red one is still fine
(bought at the same time).
Relatively new can, heated shop... blue dye leaked out and ran down onto
the next shelf.

Shall I mention the time I carelessly tossed a can of spray graphite
lubricant into a toolbox?

Saw that happen once with a new can of spray foam / sealant What a mess.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...

" wrote in message

[...]

All that yummy phosphoric, citric, and carbonic acid *loves* to eat
aluminum. That's why there's a polymer film on the inside of the cans. But
it doesn't last forever.

Neither does the lining of your stomach. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Wes wrote:

Ted Frater wrote:

I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.

A four pack? Beer is properly packaged in numbers divisable by 6.

Wes

He said "boot", maybe they pack 'em in fours on his side of the pond?

Jeff

They came in 4 packs when I live in England in 1989-90

CarlBoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Courtney wrote:
I had the same thing happen about a year ago.
A blue "Precision Brand" spray can leaked, the red one is still fine
(bought at the same time).
Relatively new can, heated shop... blue dye leaked out and ran down onto
the next shelf.

Use the Dykem in the plastic dauber container.
Works better and is cheaper than the spray can.

I'll second that. Much easier to apply than the brush cans, can't spill,
& won't explode.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Wes wrote:

Ted Frater wrote:

I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.

A four pack? Beer is properly packaged in numbers divisable by 6.

Wes

He said "boot", maybe they pack 'em in fours on his side of the pond?

Jeff

Ah!! A thinking man!!as well as a drinking one!!/.
Yes we do over here, but you can also get packs of 6 cans.
The 4pack happened to be Carlsberg export.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My wife tossed a can of real Coke in with the video cam, somewhere along
the line it got jostled and punctured. Do you have ANY idea how much
damage Coke does to the inside of an autofocus zoom lens?? Sigh.

" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 26, 2:03*pm, Ted Frater wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Wes wrote:

Ted Frater wrote:

I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.

A four pack? *Beer is properly packaged in numbers divisable by 6.

Wes

He said "boot", maybe they pack 'em in fours on his side of the pond?

Jeff

Ah!! *A thinking man!!as well as a drinking one!!/.
* Yes we do over here, but you can also get packs of 6 cans.
* The 4pack happened to be Carlsberg export.

My friend picked up a load from Sam's club for his Mom and Pop store.
When we unloaded we found a gallon jar of Italian dressing upside
down, so of course it had landed on a seatbelt buckle and emptied
itself on the back seat and floor. His car smelled like a salad for
the next month.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Wes wrote:

Ted Frater wrote:

I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.

A four pack? *Beer is properly packaged in numbers divisable by 6.

Wes

He said "boot", maybe they pack 'em in fours on his side of the pond?

Jeff

Ah!! *A thinking man!!as well as a drinking one!!/.
* Yes we do over here, but you can also get packs of 6 cans.
* The 4pack happened to be Carlsberg export.

Good choice in beer. Was it the Elephant beer?
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

this is a GREAT opportunity to write the company, enclose the can (or offer
to) and tell them of your problem - first, it will help them with quality
control, and secondly, they are likely to help you with something you will
appreciate.

" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:15:08 -0500, Wes wrote:

Ted Frater wrote:

I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.

A four pack? Beer is properly packaged in numbers divisable by 6.

Wes

Hey Wes,

No doubt, his 4-pack is quarts, or maybe litres. "Bout the same as 12
tins, and probably real beer, and not that US sissy ****.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ted Frater wrote:

I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.

A four pack? Beer is properly packaged in numbers divisable by 6.

Wes

Hey Wes,

No doubt, his 4-pack is quarts, or maybe litres. "Bout the same as 12
tins, and probably real beer, and not that US sissy ****.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Nor the skunky swill that comes over our northern border. You get a headache
just looking at it. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
[...]

Loaned my car to step daughter to get groceries and, since she was
keeping it overnights, she left a flat of soft drinks in the trunk
overnight + freezing weather = lots of exercise for her lying on her
back scrubbing the interior of the trunk (in warmer weather), (she's
blond)
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Wes wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:
I dumped a 4 pack into my car boot. one can touched some tool there,
punctured, and the beer went everywhere.
What a waste!!.
A four pack? Beer is properly packaged in numbers divisable by 6.
Wes
He said "boot", maybe they pack 'em in fours on his side of the pond?
Jeff

Ah!! A thinking man!!as well as a drinking one!!/.
Yes we do over here, but you can also get packs of 6 cans.
The 4pack happened to be Carlsberg export.

Good choice in beer. Was it the Elephant beer?
Karl

Havnt heard of Elephant beer, just straight premium lager. And very nice
too.
On a metal working note, the cans are aluminium.
Im a silversmith with lots of forging tools one of them is an 1880 drop
hammer. Hammer weight 275lbs. I condense? the empty beer cans between 2
flat dies giving the can about 50 tons! very quickly. about 1/2 second
in fact.
the can collapses down to a disc some 3/16th in thick. Very pretty.
any beer remnants come out as a very fine spray. smells good in the
forge!. Can do about 20 a minuite.
Ted Dorset UK.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Wes wrote:
Ted Frater wrote:
[...]

I usually just jump up and down on them. Your way sounds way more fun.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 00:03:59 +0000, Ted Frater
wrote:
Jeff

Ah!! A thinking man!!as well as a drinking one!!/.
Yes we do over here, but you can also get packs of 6 cans.
The 4pack happened to be Carlsberg export.

In Oz, you can get a "block" of 24 or 30 cans,

I rarely drink alcohol and when I do, it is either a good wine or
cider.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DYKEM spray can warning! (tip)

"Winston" wrote in message
A few minutes ago I was in the metal working part of my small
electronic assembly service plant.

(...)

Thanks Paul,

I just put my Dykem can in a plastic bag.

--Winston

I store my paint cans in used 5 litre plastic ice cream tubs
They are about 20cmX20cmX15cm high. The tub contains
leaks and allows me to sort the cans according to colour or
other criteria.

It also allows me to take the whole bunch to the bench where
I can select the most appropriate can for the job and use the
oldest or near empty ones first. I can also select one with enough
paint to finish the job. A quick glance tells me if I am running low
on specific popular colours or types and allows me to replenish
it before I run out (saved a couple of trips to the store).

The ice cream tubs are also handy to store bottles of woodwork
oils, turps, thinners and other chemicals. it keeps the bottles upright
and prevents the stuff for soiling or damaging the wooden shelves.
Thinners dissolves some of the plastics, so first test the tube before
use. Some plastic 5 litre oil cans are more resistant to thinners.
Remove one side of the oil can and use it as a tub.

In the kitchen I use 2 litre plastic ice cream tubs to keep bottles
of cooking and olive oil, as well as vinegars, soya and other sauces
upright and to contain leakage. All the dribble down the sides stays
inside the tubs and the shelves stay clean.

Gerhard van den Berg
CSIR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerhard" wrote in message

SNIP !!!!

In the kitchen I use 2 litre plastic ice cream tubs to keep bottles
of cooking and olive oil, as well as vinegars, soya and other sauces
upright and to contain leakage. All the dribble down the sides stays
inside the tubs and the shelves stay clean.

Gerhard van den Berg
CSIR

Sorry, I posted twice but I see there are 3 messages.

The first time the mailer reported failure to deliver ..

So I tried again. Now I see there are three posts.

My humble apologies.
I will teach me to wait and see what happens after a failure.

Gerhard van den Berg
CSIR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerhard wrote:
(...)

I pack all my spray cans in 5 litre ice-cream containers.

(...)
That is a neat tip Gerhard, thanks!

I'm not familiar with the 5 litre container
(but much too familiar with the 2 litre paper
container) of ice cream.
I suppose I could use a plastic laundry detergent
pail instead:
http://www.askousa.com/_images/pages...tage_lr__1.jpg

--Winston

--

Welds made for grinding.
Faces made for USENET.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-27, Winston wrote:
Gerhard wrote:
(...)

I pack all my spray cans in 5 litre ice-cream containers.

(...)
That is a neat tip Gerhard, thanks!

I'm not familiar with the 5 litre container
(but much too familiar with the 2 litre paper
container) of ice cream.
I suppose I could use a plastic laundry detergent
pail instead:
http://www.askousa.com/_images/pages...tage_lr__1.jpg

Or, if you have cats, there is the clumping litter which comes
in nice solid plastic pails which are good to store things in, and to
sit on. I have one filed with air tools, another with good AMP crimping
tools, and others being used for various other purposes.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-02-27, Winston wrote:
Gerhard wrote:
(...)

I pack all my spray cans in 5 litre ice-cream containers.

(...)
That is a neat tip Gerhard, thanks!

I'm not familiar with the 5 litre container
(but much too familiar with the 2 litre paper
container) of ice cream.
I suppose I could use a plastic laundry detergent
pail instead:
http://www.askousa.com/_images/pages...tage_lr__1.jpg

Or, if you have cats, there is the clumping litter which comes
in nice solid plastic pails which are good to store things in, and to
sit on. I have one filed with air tools, another with good AMP crimping
tools, and others being used for various other purposes.

Gonna have to borrow a cat somewhere.

--Winston

--

Welds made for grinding.
Faces made for USENET.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:51:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

I have 3...Three cases of assorted spray Dykem. All brand new.

Each and every one has no pressure on the cans.

A gift from a very ****ed off client who orders it by the pallet load

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 27, 3:38*pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Mark Rand" wrote in message

news

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:43:46 -0800 (PST), kfvorwerk
wrote:

On Feb 26, 2:03 pm, Ted Frater wrote:

Ah!! A thinking man!!as well as a drinking one!!/.
Yes we do over here, but you can also get packs of 6 cans.
The 4pack happened to be Carlsberg export.

Good choice in beer. Was it the Elephant beer?
Karl

It should be noted that any Carlsberg product is to beer what WD40 is to
LPS3
:-|

Mark Rand
RTFM

Ooh, touchy, touchy. g My recollection of Elephant, as it was sold in
Europe at the time (1968) was that four short cans, about half the size of a
regular can, were enough to knock me off my barstool. Nobody told me about
the alcohol content.

--
Ed Huntress

Here in Hawaii they're in 12oz (or metric close) and are very
relaxing. We have a good and friendly shop nearby with a good
selection of imports so in the spirit of friendliness I'm willing to
accept beer suggestions for the further edification of my palate.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 22:06:47 -0800, Winston wrote:

Gonna have to borrow a cat somewhere.

--Winston

PING Gunner :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:44:42 +0000, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 22:06:47 -0800, Winston wrote:

Gonna have to borrow a cat somewhere.

--Winston

PING Gunner :-)

Yeah, he gives away "THREE FREE WITH EVERY PURCHASE!", and sometimes
has been known to sneak some pussy into your truck before you leave
his house. Luckily, he didn't put one in mine 'cuz I'm allergic. (to
cats, not pussy, thank Crom)

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 02:27:24 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I have 3...Three cases of assorted spray Dykem. All brand new.

Each and every one has no pressure on the cans.

A gift from a very ****ed off client who orders it by the pallet load

You know the options, guy. Either rig up a filling adapter and
stuff in the proper propellant with the spray can upside down, or grab
a church key and have an empty dauber can handy.

Doesn't make the product worthless, just adds a little challenge.

-- Bruce --

* * * WARNING * * * [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 17th 07 06:57 AM
A warning Roger Shoaf Woodworking 3 January 5th 07 03:05 AM
Will a Critter spray gun work to spray dye-based stain? [email protected] Woodworking 2 April 23rd 06 11:57 AM
Dykem... Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 22 August 4th 05 03:43 AM
Spilled Dykem Cleanup LP Metalworking 24 June 28th 05 08:04 AM