Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT paint car hood

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 02:18:39 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

The wax recordings were the early Edison machines, a revolving tube coated
with wax, maybe?

Nope, flat disks - just like direct to vinyl (which before digital
was considered the truest "master"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:06:52 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:19:27 -0500, axolotl

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 07:51:29 -0500, "Wild_Bill"

I was amazed that some of the original recordings survived long enough to be
duplicated.

Someone needed to take the initiative to make the trips to some backwoods
Mississippi Delta area

) Direct to wax recordings were done without electricity for years -
) just like a gramophone .

Many of the original music recordings were courtesy of the federal
government WPA-like arts programs in the '30s. John Lomax and his wife
traveled in the South collecting "American Folk Music" for the Library
of Congress. My grandparents were recorded. The recordings are available
from the Library of Congress if you can show no copyright problems
with the performers.

And there are still some folks doing field recordings.
http://dust-digital.com/aofr1.htm
http://www.newyorker.com/online/2008...n_audio_bilger

I do some direct to CD. Will run off 12vdc or 110ac.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default paint car hood

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 16:48:50 -0600, the infamous Sunworshipper
Sunworshipper scrawled the following:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:45:11 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

servicemaximusATgmail.com

Remind me what pics I was going to email to you, SW.
That conversation was last _month_.

--
The only difference between a rut and a grave...is in their dimensions.
-- Ellen Glasglow
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The vinyl method probably still is the truest reproduction of sound. Many
things that go thru conversions may no longer be very close to being true
reproductions.

The advent of digital is probably more advantageous from an editing
standpoint. I consider the phrase "digitally remastered" to indicate that
the sound (or picture) is someone's own impression of how they think it
sounds best, but an adulterated version of the original.
In most cases, the listeners have never heard the original performance, so
they wouldn't know anyway.

Hey, what was that? A spare drumstick fell and hit something. Delete it.
Done.
History erased.

--
WB
metalworking projects

wrote:

The wax recordings were the early Edison machines, a revolving tube coated
with wax, maybe?

Nope, flat disks - just like direct to vinyl (which before digital
was considered the truest "master"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 11:39:46 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

The vinyl method probably still is the truest reproduction of sound. Many
things that go thru conversions may no longer be very close to being true
reproductions.

The advent of digital is probably more advantageous from an editing
standpoint. I consider the phrase "digitally remastered" to indicate that
the sound (or picture) is someone's own impression of how they think it
sounds best, but an adulterated version of the original.
In most cases, the listeners have never heard the original performance, so
they wouldn't know anyway.

Hey, what was that? A spare drumstick fell and hit something. Delete it.
Done.
History erased.

When I was in secondary school, one of my classmates was a chap
blinded by polio at ~ 13 years of age. His recorder was a disk machine
that cut the groove into a green disk. We pretty much chummed together
from the fact that we both smoked pipes and had a liking for the
poetry of Robert Service. The school attended, being a small
relatively new, country school, did not have a vice principal, so
Grant was assigned the vice principal's office as a place to
accommodate his special equipment. Quite often, the secretary would
knock on the door as a signal that we were becoming too noisy. Our
math instructor, living across the lake from the tourist lodge owned
by Grant's parents used to keep watch and, quite often, phone over to
remind Grant that it was time to turn on the outdoor lighting (this
was back in the mid '50s). Those were good times but, thankfully, they
are behind us now!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

servicemaximusATgmail.com

Remind me what pics I was going to email to you, SW.
That conversation was last _month_.

The Siskiyou Woodworker's Guild has a show going on in Ashland this
weekend and I just returned from it (via HFT.) Very nice stuff,
indeed. One guy said he wished he'd had a dozen of the little
intarsiaed chests he built. The only one he built sold at the asking
price ($2,800) within the first 15 minutes of the show. Every surface
was concave. Pics on request

no big deal if your busy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 07:37:30 -0600, the infamous Sunworshipper

wrote:

servicemaximusATgmail.com

Remind me what pics I was going to email to you, SW.
That conversation was last _month_.

The Siskiyou Woodworker's Guild has a show going on in Ashland this
weekend and I just returned from it (via HFT.) Very nice stuff,
indeed. One guy said he wished he'd had a dozen of the little
intarsiaed chests he built. The only one he built sold at the asking
price ($2,800) within the first 15 minutes of the show. Every surface
was concave. Pics on request

no big deal if your busy

OK, I'll process 'em. Check your email later today.

-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article s.com,
Karl Townsend wrote:

A while back, I was dragging a culvert behind my tractor. It caught on a
concrete lip, stood straight up, then tipped over on my better half's car
hood.
She was not impressed.

OK, now I've bought a like new hood from the salvage yard, and she just got
a quote for $500 to paint it. That ain't gonna happen.

I'm pretty good at painting tractors and other equipment. Enough to know the
key is preparation. What steps should be taken to paint this hood? (I know
it has a clear coat over the white color, I need red with a clear coat) If I
don't get it right, the boss will just take it in.

Karl

After reading the entire thread, and after I stopped laughing, I said
to myself, "Make lemonade!"

Buy a nice black carbon composite hood for your wife's red car. No
painting required. Black and red, the sexiest colors alive. Buy one
with a nice big turbocharger ram scoop in the middle and cotter
tie-downs and you won't be able to keep the boys in the rice-burner
crowd off her.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:14:14 -0500, the infamous
scrawled the following:

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:26:35 +0000, Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:
OK, everybody, you convinced me, I'll pay up.

Let me tell you the whole story.

--snippage of the houndawg blues--

Sounds like an exceptional run of bad luck. Hope you get a break soon!

Sounds like that old hillbilly song: "If it wasn't for the bad luck,
I'd have no luck at all"

I think it originally came from an old Irish or Gaelic saying.

Nah, it was an excellent song from the blues/rock band Cream.

By booker t. jones and william bell
Lyrics:

Born under a bad sign.
I've been down since I began to crawl.
If it wasn't for bad luck,
I wouldn't have no luck at all.

Bad luck and troubles my only friend.
I've been down ever since I was ten.

Chorus

You know, wine and women is all I crave.
A big bad woman's gonna carry me to my grave.

Chorus

First verse

Born under a bad sign.
I've been down since I began to crawl.
If it wasn't for bad luck,
I wouldn't have no luck.
If it wasn't for real bad luck,
I wouldnt have no luck at all.

Born under a bad sign.
Born under a bad sign.

http://mog.com/music/Cream/The_Very_...der_a_Bad_Sign

--
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-- Confucius

I like the Hee Haw version better. It changed every week, but her is
one version:

Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

We figured she was rich, loaded to the hilt
And we figured she had class like the Vanderbilts
'Cause we had heard for years how she was so well reared
How was we to know they meant the way she was built

Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Cleaning Paint off Extractor Hood and Sink [email protected] Home Repair 3 October 18th 07 02:03 PM
Hood Harry Home Ownership 3 September 13th 06 03:01 AM
Cooker hood! [email protected] UK diy 12 September 8th 06 05:46 PM
Non-Vented Standard Range Hood - Paint or Install New One Les Home Repair 5 August 9th 05 03:01 AM
indoor walls: spray paint or roll paint with rollers? Ari Shapiro Home Repair 3 November 17th 03 09:17 PM