Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sic semper tyrannis

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:11:57 -0500, the infamous Howard Garner
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 19:37:32 -0500, the infamous Howard Garner
scrawled the following:

Perhaps we need to move to multiple votes for each person based on
various criteria.

A read on Nevil Shute's In The Wet can provide some ideas/
everyone gets the basic vote.
Married - an additional one
Children - an additional one
Own your own business - an additional one
Education - an additional one
forgot the 6th reason
the 7th vote could be granted by the Queen(King) of England\\

E FRACKIN gad! How many votes would this outstanding person get?

Qualifications:
a) welfare mothers with 8 children
b) married, but hubby ran off
c) sells crack and prostitutes on the side (2 businesses)
d) bought fake PhD on Internet
e) is alive

That looks like she'd get 5 votes. Nevil should be ashamed.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren

Went back and grabbed the book off the shelf.

Your person would only get 1 vote - the basic.

Whew!

This is a corrected version of the seven votes.
Each of the additional has to be registered with the authorities

Basic - everybody gets this
Education - college degree
Foreign Travel - live outside the country for two years straight
Family - Raise two children to age 14 without a divorce
Achievement - Earned income over xxx (5000 pounds when this was written
in 1953)
Church Official - Any recognized church - including church wardens,
ministers, etc
7th Vote - Granted by the Queen at her discretion - rare.

Um, Howard, that's a _slightly_ different list than your first. =:0

I'm in definite disagreement with his sixth addition. Giving Jesus
Freaks an extra vote could prove to be hazardous to freedom, life, and
liberty. (Google for "Spanish Inquisition", "The Crusades", and "Moral
Majority" if you don't understand why.)

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

That's what I get for relying on my old memory.
Next time I'll grab the book first.

Howard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Snell wrote:
Howard Garner wrote:

This is a corrected version of the seven votes.
Each of the additional has to be registered with the authorities

Basic - everybody gets this
Education - college degree
Foreign Travel - live outside the country for two years straight
Family - Raise two children to age 14 without a divorce
Achievement - Earned income over xxx (5000 pounds when this was
written in 1953)
Church Official - Any recognized church - including church wardens,
ministers, etc

Now that's scary! How about replacing that with service in Armed
Forces or Peace Corp equivalent?

7th Vote - Granted by the Queen at her discretion - rare.

Pete

In many cases the Armed Services or Peace Corp could get you the Foreign
Travel vote.
Just remember that this is fiction, but the scenario is interesting.

Howard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Howard Garner wrote:

In many cases the Armed Services or Peace Corp could get you the Foreign
Travel vote.
Just remember that this is fiction, but the scenario is interesting.

Of course! Fiction can still be scary.... =:-0 :-)

Weighted voting is an interesting concept. I'm sure there are a few
people on this list that could generate some very interesting criteria.

Pete

--
Pete Snell
Department of Physics

"That's a very elaborate story, but where have you REALLY been the
last three days?"

Jonah's Wife, sometime BC
Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Yer both right. It is democracy and God help us. Hope is not a
strategy, but that's what we're working with now.

BTW, my IQ was a bit north of 100 when last checked, but that was a
long time ago. G

My IQ was way over 100 until my son became a teenager. Then I got real dumb.
I'm getting smarter now, he's 25.

Karl

Sounds like me and my daughter.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Garner" wrote:

This is a corrected version of the seven votes.
Each of the additional has to be registered with the authorities

Basic - everybody gets this
Education - college degree
Foreign Travel - live outside the country for two years straight
Family - Raise two children to age 14 without a divorce
Achievement - Earned income over xxx (5000 pounds when this was written
in 1953)
Church Official - Any recognized church - including church wardens,
ministers, etc
7th Vote - Granted by the Queen at her discretion - rare.

So then how did this "fine upstanding citizen" from Philidelphia qualify for
his multiple votes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZwng4omanI

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
"Howard Garner" wrote:

This is a corrected version of the seven votes.
Each of the additional has to be registered with the authorities

Basic - everybody gets this
Education - college degree
Foreign Travel - live outside the country for two years straight
Family - Raise two children to age 14 without a divorce
Achievement - Earned income over xxx (5000 pounds when this was written
in 1953)
Church Official - Any recognized church - including church wardens,
ministers, etc
7th Vote - Granted by the Queen at her discretion - rare.

So then how did this "fine upstanding citizen" from Philidelphia qualify
for his multiple votes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZwng4omanI

Jon

What makes you think he said that? It sounded like he said that because of
the long lines, he decided to come back a couple of times.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:07:50 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Howard Garner" wrote:

[...]

The voter's last statement was "I decided to come back and vote a
couple of times."

Yes, the guy was unclear, but that was what made the reporter say "I
think that's against the law." He heard the same thing and joked about
it.

Jeeze, can't anyone joke about Chad, Daley, or the rest of the gang?

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

"Howard Garner" wrote:

[...]

I think the reporter doesn't hang out enough in the Philly ghettos to know
what to think. He sure looked uncomfortable there.

Jeeze, can't anyone joke about Chad, Daley, or the rest of the gang?

Maybe he was joking, or maybe he just doesn't spend too much time worrying
about syntax.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Why mandatory voting?

Might cut down on the mandatory whingeing which follows...

If someone cares so little about it that they won't vote on their own
initiative, I'm happy to let them stay out of it.

I feel the same way.

Out of curiosity, if election day was a Federal holiday how do you
think it would affect
turn out per party?

Wes

I have no idea, Wes. I think that the holiday is a good idea -- or
voting on a weekend like they do in most of the world -- but I can't
judge how it would affect one party versus the other.

Yer kidding right? If it was a holiday voter turnout would drop as
folks would all head for the river for the day.

You're kidding, right? Considering what many people just went through to
vote, I don't know where you get that idea.

Now, if *you* would head for the river for the day, we're happy to have
you not voting. d8-)

We? You got a mouse in your pocket? Seriously, this country takes its
freedoms for granted. I honestly don't think a voting holiday would
produce a net increase at the poles. Even a blue law style holiday.

Eighty seven percent of California voters went to the polls yesterday.
That's what a report I saw this morning said anyway.
Should that number hold up, everyone in California voted as a practical
matter.
How would anyone increase a effective turnout of 100 percent?

Early voting, both by mail and drop off balloting, has changed the game.

I did notice that the numbers all across the country seemed higher. I
personally like using my mail in ballot. My wife still likes to go stand in
line and work the machine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Howard Garner wrote:
A read on Nevil Shute's In The Wet can provide some ideas/
everyone gets the basic vote.
Married - an additional one
Children - an additional one
Own your own business - an additional one
Education - an additional one
forgot the 6th reason
the 7th vote could be granted by the Queen(King) of England\\

Howard Garner

Military service.
A great book, as are most of his books.

....lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 16:25:26 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Howard Garner" wrote:

[...]

You won't get any argument from me about that. chuckle Wouldn't we
have looked the same?

Jeeze, can't anyone joke about Chad, Daley, or the rest of the gang?

Maybe he was joking, or maybe he just doesn't spend too much time worrying
about syntax.

Methinks the voter doesn't know what the word means, let alone care.
He meant that he came back a couple times to vote but the lines were
too long for him to feel like doing so, I'm sure.

P.S: Has President Elect Obama cured the financial troubles of the
world, ended the war, outlawed poverty, or paid the debt yet? Let me
know, OK?

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ross" wrote in message ...
SteveB wrote:
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

I'm off to a 14 hour day working as an election worker. I'm afraid for
my country today. Vote for whoever you believe in, and live with it.
I'm going to vote for the man who is proud to be an American.

Steve

--
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

Home after 15 hours. Encouraging when I saw the printouts. McCain by
7/1 to 10/1 on each machine. Then I got home and turned on Fox

God help us.

People think Bush was bad.

Steve

I see you remain the quintessential ignorant ****ing redneck.
Grow a backbone and a brain and accept the change, it's called
democracy by those with an IQ over 100.

That's rich coming from a man I'd bet a dollar to a donut hole that didn't
even vote.

Change? You bet. I see it already. People waving communist flags at Obama
celebration rallies. Usta be that would get you one extra large can of
whoopass. I know I certainly can't wait for all this change to happen.
I'm going to go down and register for all the freebies.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Nov 4, 11:48 pm, Ross wrote:
SteveB wrote:
"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message

I'm off to a 14 hour day working as an election worker. I'm afraid for
my
country today. Vote for whoever you believe in, and live with it. I'm
going to vote for the man who is proud to be an American.

Steve

--
-Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.-

Home after 15 hours. Encouraging when I saw the printouts. McCain by 7/1
to 10/1 on each machine. Then I got home and turned on Fox

God help us.

People think Bush was bad.

Steve

I see you remain the quintessential ignorant ****ing redneck.
Grow a backbone and a brain and accept the change, it's called
democracy by those with an IQ over 100.

Ross, Obama was a better choice than McCain and the she-cheney for
many reasons, but his strong liberalism worries me to no end, and
should worry you too, if your IQ is above 100.

Obama sure as hell isn't the be-all and end-all and cure-all, and I
think very little is going to change.

Will he:
- give up the extraordinary executive power taken by the last 3-4
presidencies? HELL NO!
- put an end to America, by the corporartions, for the corporations?
HELL NO!
- put an end to unwarranted wiretaps, or stop the NSA and army from
doing domestic surveillance/reconnaissance? HELL NO!
- give us an administration bound by the rule of law, restore
accountability, and abide by the intent of the constitution? maybe.

There were plenty of perfectly valid reasons to vote against obama,
and I disagree with Steve that it's going to be worse than under bush
or would have been under mccain, but you can take your puerile
playground insults and use them where some idiots might think you have
something useful or insightful to say, there must be a schoolyard near
you somewhere.

Dave

Oh, me. You disagree in a most tasteful manner.

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Howard Garner" wrote:

[...]

I have been lost in south Philly and stuck in Harlem. I'll take Harlem.

Jeeze, can't anyone joke about Chad, Daley, or the rest of the gang?

Maybe he was joking, or maybe he just doesn't spend too much time worrying
about syntax.

Methinks the voter doesn't know what the word means, let alone care.
He meant that he came back a couple times to vote but the lines were
too long for him to feel like doing so, I'm sure.

That's how it sounded to me.

P.S: Has President Elect Obama cured the financial troubles of the
world, ended the war, outlawed poverty, or paid the debt yet? Let me
know, OK?

You'd best do a Rip Van Winkle, Larry. We'll wake you up in 20 years, and
things will look much better. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 21:57:22 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Methinks the voter doesn't know what the word means, let alone care.
He meant that he came back a couple times to vote but the lines were
too long for him to feel like doing so, I'm sure.

That's how it sounded to me.

P.S: Has President Elect Obama cured the financial troubles of the
world, ended the war, outlawed poverty, or paid the debt yet? Let me
know, OK?

You'd best do a Rip Van Winkle, Larry. We'll wake you up in 20 years, and
things will look much better. g

I'd best study up on my foreign languages before I nod. I'd hate to
wake up and not know the language of my country. So, do you think it
would be better to learn Cantonese or Mandarin?

Zai jian.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 21:57:22 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

Methinks the voter doesn't know what the word means, let alone care.
He meant that he came back a couple times to vote but the lines were
too long for him to feel like doing so, I'm sure.

That's how it sounded to me.

P.S: Has President Elect Obama cured the financial troubles of the
world, ended the war, outlawed poverty, or paid the debt yet? Let me
know, OK?

You'd best do a Rip Van Winkle, Larry. We'll wake you up in 20 years, and
things will look much better. g

I'd best study up on my foreign languages before I nod. I'd hate to
wake up and not know the language of my country. So, do you think it
would be better to learn Cantonese or Mandarin?

Zai jian.

Spanish.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

Ross, Obama was a better choice than McCain and the she-cheney for
many reasons, but his strong liberalism worries me to no end, and
should worry you too, if your IQ is above 100.

Obama sure as hell isn't the be-all and end-all and cure-all, and I
think very little is going to change.

Will he:
- give us an administration bound by the rule of law, restore
accountability, and abide by the intent of the constitution? maybe.

This is the head of an election campaign that appears to have accepted
$30 million in illegal contributions from foreign nationals

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:32:56 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 21:57:22 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:
You'd best do a Rip Van Winkle, Larry. We'll wake you up in 20 years, and
things will look much better. g

I'd best study up on my foreign languages before I nod. I'd hate to
wake up and not know the language of my country. So, do you think it
would be better to learn Cantonese or Mandarin?

Zai jian.

Spanish.

No way, José. The Chiwanese will inherit the Earth. The proof is
that all the sci-fi movies are made to that effect.

Why do you say Spanish? Because they're the second fastest growing
segment of our world's population? It's been ages since I read
anything on that, though. Got cites handy?

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Not the world. The US. The Census department says that the Hispanic
population in this country will increase from 12.6% of the population in
2000 to 24.4% in 2050. Their numbers are projected to grow from 35.6 million
to 102.6 million, an increase of 188 percent.

¿Se Habla Español?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 15:04:00 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Why do you say Spanish? Because they're the second fastest growing
segment of our world's population? It's been ages since I read
anything on that, though. Got cites handy?

Not the world. The US. The Census department says that the Hispanic
population in this country will increase from 12.6% of the population in
2000 to 24.4% in 2050. Their numbers are projected to grow from 35.6 million
to 102.6 million, an increase of 188 percent.

That figure doesn't include the merger with the Chinese world which
surely would have happened before then, mi amigo.

¿Se Habla Español?

Si, poquito, pero yo tome solo dos anos en la esquela.
It's Chinese that I'd learn if I were in school today.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 15:04:00 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..

Why do you say Spanish? Because they're the second fastest growing
segment of our world's population? It's been ages since I read
anything on that, though. Got cites handy?

Not the world. The US. The Census department says that the Hispanic
population in this country will increase from 12.6% of the population in
2000 to 24.4% in 2050. Their numbers are projected to grow from 35.6
million
to 102.6 million, an increase of 188 percent.

That figure doesn't include the merger with the Chinese world which
surely would have happened before then, mi amigo.

That's what they said about Japan. Like the Japanese "invasion," any Chinese
one (of which I am very dubious) will involve a pretty narrow interface with
the Chinese people.

As for Hispanics, they're already here. And more of them are coming. Those
are people we have to deal with.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 20:14:15 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

[...]

I agree. Amnesty for 20 million and counting (of our closest friends)
is not in our best interests.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 6, 2:09*pm, RB wrote:
wrote in message
Ross, Obama was a better choice than McCain and the she-cheney for
many reasons, but his strong liberalism worries me to no end, and
should worry you too, if your IQ is above 100.

Obama sure as hell isn't the be-all and end-all and cure-all, and I
think very little is going to change.

Will he:
- give us an administration bound by the rule of law, restore
accountability, and abide by the intent of the constitution? maybe.

This is the head of an election campaign that appears to have accepted
$30 million in illegal contributions from foreign nationals

(pulls pin, throws)

Crooks in office are OK as long as they're honest crooks and don't
steal too much.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Nov 5, 3:42 am, F. George McDuffee gmcduf...@mcduffee-
associates.us wrote:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 05:33:25 -0800, "SteveB"

Any of our international participants have some suggestions? Is
the lack of a consistent national ID document the problem in the
US?

It should be simple, but you guys insist in making things complicated
with this miserable fear of the federal government and the "right" to
have "freedom of choice" - whatever that means.

Here in OZ (where the sun always shines) the AEC (a federal government
statutory authority) keeps a register of all eligible voters. They
also decide electoral boundaries, trying to keep to the maxim "One
person one vote" On voting day, in your electorate, your name gets
crossed of an alphabetical list. ID? - drivers license will do. You
then fill out PAPER ballots, which can be re-counted if disputed. No
results are announced until all polling stations are closed.

Its simple, it works. You guys can put a man on the moon, but cannot
cooperate enough to run a paper electoral system....you guys ARE
funny, sometimes.

Gee. We use paper ballots around here in Central FLorida, and I used
my driver's license for ID. I registered when I renewed my driver's
license.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 23:04:28 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gee. We use paper ballots around here in Central FLorida, and I used
my driver's license for ID. I registered when I renewed my driver's
license.

I have to go and get a pretty picture taken at the post office
before the 26th for my drivers licence renewal for 5 years, no charge
as I am over 65.

Do you Americans have to have photos on your D/l's ?

I still have my N & S Rhodesian licences from 50 years ago with
photos. They have changed a bit over the years, still about the same
quantity of hair, but the colour has changed to more grey than brown
and I have put on about 20kg weight, gone from waist size 30" to 38"