Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tying down a lathe

I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

The question is how to tie the lathe down. The tailstock end, I think,
is straightforward as I would put the tiedown to pull the tailstock.

The headstock is where I have a question. Can I use a ratchet tiedown
to pull on the headstock (around the corner between bed and headstock,
specifically) or would the headstock be damaged by that pulling action?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27232 wrote:
I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

The question is how to tie the lathe down. The tailstock end, I think,
is straightforward as I would put the tiedown to pull the tailstock.

The headstock is where I have a question. Can I use a ratchet tiedown
to pull on the headstock (around the corner between bed and headstock,
specifically) or would the headstock be damaged by that pulling action?

No damage, but you want to use two, not one at each end.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-07-07, RB wrote:
Ignoramus27232 wrote:
I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

The question is how to tie the lathe down. The tailstock end, I think,
is straightforward as I would put the tiedown to pull the tailstock.

The headstock is where I have a question. Can I use a ratchet tiedown
to pull on the headstock (around the corner between bed and headstock,
specifically) or would the headstock be damaged by that pulling action?

No damage, but you want to use two, not one at each end.

I agree. I will use two on each end just as a guard against my
screwups. These are 2" Ancra ratcheting tiedowns.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 12:46:37 -0500, Ignoramus27232
wrote:

I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

The question is how to tie the lathe down. The tailstock end, I think,
is straightforward as I would put the tiedown to pull the tailstock.

The headstock is where I have a question. Can I use a ratchet tiedown
to pull on the headstock (around the corner between bed and headstock,
specifically) or would the headstock be damaged by that pulling action?

Put the strap between the headstock and the chuck.

Unless you are using chain, or a hydraulicly tightened cable hold down
system, you are not going to hurt anything.

If that makes you cringe, put the strap between the gear change
levers on top of the headstock

Oh...and remove the tailstock and put it in the back of your truck,
and put a bit of cardboard over the ways to protect your strap.

I saw another tailstock on the freeway last week. 2nd one Ive seen in
about 10 yrs. Quick glimpse looked like about a Logan 11

Traffic was too heavy to stop for it...shrug

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs.

13x36? That is a whopping big trailer!

Sorry, the devil made me do it

Errol Groff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have an image a guy running into traffic like a frogger video game.

I lost a dozen customer parts off the back of my cycle once at the 70/79
junction on a friday afternoon.

Very scary retrieval.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27232 wrote:

I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

The question is how to tie the lathe down. The tailstock end, I think,
is straightforward as I would put the tiedown to pull the tailstock.

The headstock is where I have a question. Can I use a ratchet tiedown
to pull on the headstock (around the corner between bed and headstock,
specifically) or would the headstock be damaged by that pulling action?

First picture. http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html

Note we screwed some boards around base to crib it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 8, 7:00 am, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus27232 wrote:
I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

The question is how to tie the lathe down. The tailstock end, I think,
is straightforward as I would put the tiedown to pull the tailstock.

The headstock is where I have a question. Can I use a ratchet tiedown
to pull on the headstock (around the corner between bed and headstock,
specifically) or would the headstock be damaged by that pulling action?

First picture. http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html

Note we screwed some boards around base to crib it.

Wes

Thats going to be a lovely machine to use when you have finished it -
I am in awe of your expertise, I wouldn't know where to start a
project like that. Liked the 2 v-blocks in the vise to clamp a round
thing - that goes into the memory book.

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

The question is how to tie the lathe down. The tailstock end, I think,
is straightforward as I would put the tiedown to pull the tailstock.

The headstock is where I have a question. Can I use a ratchet tiedown
to pull on the headstock (around the corner between bed and headstock,
specifically) or would the headstock be damaged by that pulling action?

with very heavy loads in a trailer make sure you dont aft load the
trailer. above about 30 miles per hour an incredible sway can setup
that is impossible to control.

use webbing belts to prevent point loads and your lathe should be ok.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

The question is how to tie the lathe down. The tailstock end, I think,
is straightforward as I would put the tiedown to pull the tailstock.

The headstock is where I have a question. Can I use a ratchet tiedown
to pull on the headstock (around the corner between bed and headstock,
specifically) or would the headstock be damaged by that pulling action?

with very heavy loads in a trailer make sure you dont aft load the
trailer. above about 30 miles per hour an incredible sway can setup
that is impossible to control.

use webbing belts to prevent point loads and your lathe should be ok.

It is not that heavy in relation to truck or trailer, but yes, I will
put it relatively in front to have sufficient tongue weight.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

snip
Be reminded that most machine tools are *VERY* top heavy. It is
important to not only secure the top of the lathe or whatever but
also restrain the base such that it can't move sideways and drop
the machine. Blocks or cribbing between the base and sides of
the trailer may be easier than tiedowns. Nothing worse than
hearing a huge crash and finding that while the machine is still
safely tied in the trailer, it is now laying on its side with
trays bent, handles/levers broken off etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 03:35:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Jul 8, 7:00 am, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus27232 wrote:
[...]

This one wouldnt fit in my trailer when I moved it in and set it up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/BiggerMachines

Keeping it running is fun too. Particularly taking off the chuck..
with a fork lift

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 8, 7:00 am, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus27232 wrote:
[...]

Ah heck, don't be a wimp!
Just spin 'er off and catch it with your free hand.
Lay a shop rag across the ways first, of course.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 8, 7:00 am, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus27232 wrote:
[...]

Is that an Axelson lathe?

Keeping it running is fun too. Particularly taking off the chuck..
with a fork lift

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 8, 7:00 am, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus27232 wrote:
[...]

who's the old geezer in the photos?

he does a passable impression of me :-)

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 9, 8:30 am, Wes wrote:
wrote:
Thats going to be a lovely machine to use when you have finished it -
I am in awe of your expertise, I wouldn't know where to start a
project like that. Liked the 2 v-blocks in the vise to clamp a round
thing - that goes into the memory book.

I'm looking forwards to that day. Don't be in too much awe, outside of some college
clases I took 18 years ago, I wasn't trained to be machining things. I've just been
paying attention for the last 6 years when I went from working in IT to maintenance in
facility the uses CNC to make major components of product.

I've just been paying attention, asking questions, and learning. Since you seemed to have
picked this for your trade, I am sure I will soon be an awe of your expertise.

Wes

Thank you for the kind words Wes - but I will NEVER be a skilled
tradesman, I am too old (at 55) to get an apprenticeship, and I don't
get enough machine time to get the speed and competence I would like.
The school is VERY tolerant of me, as are the Kiddies - but the group
I started with, on the same level, is now light years ahead of me
because its their trade, they spend their working days using the tools
and techniques I learn about. BUT I do hope to be a reasonable
competent hobbyist in time - as you say, look, listen learn - and its
seeing peoples projects and techniques that gives me the "Oh, thats
how you do THAT light bulb moments" . And I will keep on going to
trade school for as long as I am able, or until the gasoline runs out
- whichever comes first!

Andrew VK3BFA,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Thank you for the kind words Wes - but I will NEVER be a skilled
tradesman, I am too old (at 55) to get an apprenticeship, and I don't
get enough machine time to get the speed and competence I would like.
The school is VERY tolerant of me, as are the Kiddies - but the group
I started with, on the same level, is now light years ahead of me
because its their trade, they spend their working days using the tools
and techniques I learn about. BUT I do hope to be a reasonable
competent hobbyist in time - as you say, look, listen learn - and its
seeing peoples projects and techniques that gives me the "Oh, thats
how you do THAT light bulb moments" . And I will keep on going to
trade school for as long as I am able, or until the gasoline runs out
- whichever comes first!

Hey, I never got very serious about metal working until 6 years ago when my world changed
job wise and I found myself repairing machines in a metalworking facility.

I'm 50 1/2 and except for being able to see a number of processes at work, I'm looking at
the same places you are and I'm having light bulb moments all the time from reading posts
and viewing web pages.

I bet you become that competent hobbyist that many employers would love to have sooner
than you think. The definition of amateur is rather interesting. It is someone that
pursues some field and studies it because they love it. Loving what you do is an edge
when it comes to learning and growning.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:27:52 -0500, Ignoramus32025
wrote:

Thats going to be a lovely machine to use when you have finished it -
I am in awe of your expertise, I wouldn't know where to start a
project like that. Liked the 2 v-blocks in the v

This one wouldnt fit in my trailer when I moved it in and set it up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/BiggerMachines

Is that an Axelson lathe?

Smith-Lehman

One of their small ones.

See why I blink, when I read about those big lathes and how tough
they are to move around by some of the posters here?

I moved that one, and ALL the machines in the "project" album, about
10 miles.

I did it with 1 finger too.

I called a good rigging company.

Though I did have to move a few into exact placement, using forklifts,
prybars and jacks.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 8, 7:00 am, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus27232 wrote:
[...]

Some old derilect they found to pose for the pictures.. They gave him
a 2 liter bottle fo Diet Mt. Dew and a can of Monster and he was
happy...

tying in extension walls sm_jamieson UK diy 7 January 20th 08 11:16 PM
Tying in the inner skin of an extension [email protected] UK diy 0 May 15th 07 10:20 AM
Fly Tying in China Da UK diy 4 January 27th 07 10:13 PM
tying off a ring outlet Geronimo W. Christ Esq UK diy 15 November 12th 06 05:52 PM
Tying laundry tub to cleanout [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 12th 04 07:15 PM