Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot Stealth Pilot is offline

Default Tying down a lathe

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:46:24 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 03:35:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Jul 8, 7:00 am, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus27232 wrote:
I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

The question is how to tie the lathe down. The tailstock end, I think,
is straightforward as I would put the tiedown to pull the tailstock.

The headstock is where I have a question. Can I use a ratchet tiedown
to pull on the headstock (around the corner between bed and headstock,
specifically) or would the headstock be damaged by that pulling action?

First picture.
http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/Clausing.html

Note we screwed some boards around base to crib it.

Wes

Thats going to be a lovely machine to use when you have finished it -
I am in awe of your expertise, I wouldn't know where to start a
project like that. Liked the 2 v-blocks in the v

This one wouldnt fit in my trailer when I moved it in and set it up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/BiggerMachines

Keeping it running is fun too. Particularly taking off the chuck..
with a fork lift

who's the old geezer in the photos?

he does a passable impression of me :-)

Stealth Pilot