Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tying down a lathe

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 12:46:37 -0500, Ignoramus27232
wrote:

I would transport the lathe in my trailer. It is 13x36, about 1,500
lbs. The lathe will be on cart, which I could raise and put on blocks
so that the wheels are not engaged.

The question is how to tie the lathe down. The tailstock end, I think,
is straightforward as I would put the tiedown to pull the tailstock.

The headstock is where I have a question. Can I use a ratchet tiedown
to pull on the headstock (around the corner between bed and headstock,
specifically) or would the headstock be damaged by that pulling action?

Put the strap between the headstock and the chuck.

Unless you are using chain, or a hydraulicly tightened cable hold down
system, you are not going to hurt anything.

If that makes you cringe, put the strap between the gear change
levers on top of the headstock

Oh...and remove the tailstock and put it in the back of your truck,
and put a bit of cardboard over the ways to protect your strap.

I saw another tailstock on the freeway last week. 2nd one Ive seen in
about 10 yrs. Quick glimpse looked like about a Logan 11

Traffic was too heavy to stop for it...shrug

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality",
John F. Kennedy.