Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tying in extension walls

I have to build an aircrete wall and cavity against a brick party
wall. The party wall is 9" thick up to around 2 metres high, where it
changes into a single skin on the neighbours half of the party wall,
and next-doors ceiling joists fully penetrate this skin. I filled in
the gaps around these joists with foam when I demolished my old out-
house.
I intend to tie in a new wall that is 90 degrees from the party wall
using a wall starter system.
What I need to do is modify the upper section so it is effectively a
9" wall in order to properly isolate next door from the cavity. I
probably cannot chop out bricks from her wall in order to form a
standard bond with regular headers etc.

So what is the best way of tying in a new skin to to create a 9" wall
to the satisfaction of the BCO ? Bearing in mind that this new skin
will then further become one side of a cavity wall (i.e. it will be
tying in 2 directions).

Thanks,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 20, 12:47*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

I would advise, have a word with the BCO who covers your area,
probably not the first time this has arisen, and they ought to be
able to help on details like this. It may even be covered in one of
the approved documents. Best to sort all these sort of details before
starting work, no nasty surprises then!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

4square wrote:
[...]

Sounds like raking out a little mortar and inserting 'bow ties' to me,
but ask BCO for sure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

short screw-in ties, stainless steel, or galvanised.
If you intend building the skin from bricks, the ties will have to go in the
horizontal joints, but if you build it from block, they go into the bricks
themselves, which makes a better job....make sure you use short ones or they
may burst through to next door.

http://www.bluebird-fixings.ltd.uk/galvanised.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jan, 15:38, "Phil L" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Thanks, can you explain how when using blocks, the ties go into the
bricks ?
I cannot visualise this.
I will build most of the skin out of blocks, some brick at the end,
where they would show.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jan, 12:47, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

If I've understood you corectly, this is what you need...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/41311/

Jon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jan, 19:40, Tournifreak wrote:
[...]

Actually, yeah, I could just use several of those, both for the 90
degree wall and
to tie the single skins together. I'll discuss the options with the
BCO.
Cheers,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 20 Jan, 15:38, "Phil L" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

The screw in ties fix better to bricks than to mortar, so it's best to space
the blocks so that they don't line up with the horizontal joints of the
brickwork..there's a small pic he
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2wgsz5y&s=3
You may have to start off with a piece of block first so that the spacings
are correct, thermalite are easy to saw using an old handsaw.

Tying in the inner skin of an extension [email protected] UK diy 0 May 15th 07 10:20 AM
Fly Tying in China Da UK diy 4 January 27th 07 10:13 PM
routing a fly-tying bench Conan the Librarian Woodworking 6 February 1st 05 07:11 PM
Tying laundry tub to cleanout [email protected] Home Repair 1 September 12th 04 07:15 PM
type of bonding for garden and cavity extension walls Hal Styli UK diy 3 January 26th 04 05:31 PM