Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default tying in extension walls

On 20 Jan, 15:38, "Phil L" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
I have to build an aircrete wall and cavity against a brick party
wall. The party wall is 9" thick up to around 2 metres high, where it
changes into a single skin on the neighbours half of the party wall,
and next-doors ceiling joists fully penetrate this skin. I filled in
the gaps around these joists with foam when I demolished my old out-
house.
I intend to tie in a new wall that is 90 degrees from the party wall
using a wall starter system.
What I need to do is modify the upper section so it is effectively a
9" wall in order to properly isolate next door from the cavity. I
probably cannot chop out bricks from her wall in order to form a
standard bond with regular headers etc.

So what is the best way of tying in a new skin to to create a 9" wall
to the satisfaction of the BCO ? Bearing in mind that this new skin
will then further become one side of a cavity wall (i.e. it will be
tying in 2 directions).

Thanks,
Simon.

short screw-in ties, stainless steel, or galvanised.
If you intend building the skin from bricks, the ties will have to go in the
horizontal joints, but if you build it from block, they go into the bricks
themselves, which makes a better job....make sure you use short ones or they
may burst through to next door.

http://www.bluebird-fixings.ltd.uk/galvanised.htm

Thanks, can you explain how when using blocks, the ties go into the
bricks ?
I cannot visualise this.
I will build most of the skin out of blocks, some brick at the end,
where they would show.
Simon.