Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] vk3bfa@hotmail.com is offline

Default Tying down a lathe

On Jul 9, 8:30 am, Wes wrote:
wrote:
Thats going to be a lovely machine to use when you have finished it -
I am in awe of your expertise, I wouldn't know where to start a
project like that. Liked the 2 v-blocks in the vise to clamp a round
thing - that goes into the memory book.

I'm looking forwards to that day. Don't be in too much awe, outside of some college
clases I took 18 years ago, I wasn't trained to be machining things. I've just been
paying attention for the last 6 years when I went from working in IT to maintenance in
facility the uses CNC to make major components of product.

I've just been paying attention, asking questions, and learning. Since you seemed to have
picked this for your trade, I am sure I will soon be an awe of your expertise.

Wes

Thank you for the kind words Wes - but I will NEVER be a skilled
tradesman, I am too old (at 55) to get an apprenticeship, and I don't
get enough machine time to get the speed and competence I would like.
The school is VERY tolerant of me, as are the Kiddies - but the group
I started with, on the same level, is now light years ahead of me
because its their trade, they spend their working days using the tools
and techniques I learn about. BUT I do hope to be a reasonable
competent hobbyist in time - as you say, look, listen learn - and its
seeing peoples projects and techniques that gives me the "Oh, thats
how you do THAT light bulb moments" . And I will keep on going to
trade school for as long as I am able, or until the gasoline runs out
- whichever comes first!

Andrew VK3BFA,