Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleaning solvent

The motorcycle types put an old dishwasher in the shop and run bike parts
through to clean them.

RJ

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. net...

"SteveB" wrote in message
I got some parts I need to clean. I have gas and acetone, and a quart or
so of mineral spirits.

What's a good solvent for cleaning the exterior of carburetors, engine
parts, etc, in a sink or tub with a parts brush that won't eat your brain
out or blow you up? I have heard kerosene. Let me ask the dumb
question, where do you buy kerosene? I would think Ace or Home Depot, as
they sell the kerosene heaters. Is that right? And is kerosene a good
cleaner?

Wish I had one of those parts washing sinks (SD?), but I'd use it about
twice a year. Sure are handy, though.

Steve

Powdered automatic dishwasher detergent in hot water, high concentration.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:59:58 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Ed Huntress writes:

Ah, my memory let me down. It was naptha that he told me was "white
gas," not Stoddard Solvent.

Naptha is a brand name for soap. Naphtha is the petroleum product.

If you say so. However, "Petroleum Naptha" is how it is referred to by
the Canadean Environment ministries, the Ontario Energy Board, and
Imperial oil. Among many other credible sources. In the USA Naphtha IS
the standard spelling (The Yanks leave letters out for just about
everything else, but throw in the duperfluous "H" to make naptha into
naphtha. Now they want to screw up NAFTA too - which they stuffed
down the throats of the rest of North America because it suited them.
Now that it looks like Canada and Mexico are winning, (which they MAY,
or may NOT) they are talking about changing it again

Seriously - nothing against our good neighbours to the south.

Coleman fuel is indeed like gasoline in weight and volatility, not
kerosene. Roughly hexane in my estimate, and very aliphatic and clean of
aromatic hydrocarbons and sulfur. Next to no heavy stuff that leaves a
residue. Wipe it on glass and see. Excellent cleaner if you observe
proper cautions; I use it in a quart Sure-Shot every day.

Naphtha is a non-specific term, but the "VM&P" (varnish makers' and
painters') naphtha is like Coleman fuel, as is necessary for making a fast-
drying and low-residue paint solvent.

I'm kicking myself for not stocking up on Coleman fuel when the store
shelves had it for $2/gallon when gas first spiked over $3 a few years
back. With the packaging and handling, Coleman fuel is typically about
twice the gasoline price, and the retail lag is something to be finessed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-19, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:47:38 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete
C." quickly quoth:

[ ... ]

Not in a little pressure washer carb.

I wondered how a Carter AFB throttle body might possibly fit in an
ultrasound tub. Perhaps if quartered first? g

It depends on the ultrasonic cleaner. I think that one might
fit in mine -- other than perhaps the depth. And I've seen ones which
could have accommodated my entire 1622cc MGA engine. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-19, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:47:38 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete
C." quickly quoth:

[ ... ]

Not in a little pressure washer carb.

I wondered how a Carter AFB throttle body might possibly fit in an
ultrasound tub. Perhaps if quartered first? g

It depends on the ultrasonic cleaner. I think that one might
fit in mine -- other than perhaps the depth. And I've seen ones which
could have accommodated my entire 1622cc MGA engine. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

A buddy of mine worked in a lab that did a lot of work for GE and one of
the items in there I wished I could afford was an ultrasonic tank that
you could fit a big block in without any trouble. Course when he
mentioned what they had paid to get(large 8 digit figure) it I decided
it was a bit out of reach. I found out a few years later that it had
been cut up as scrap when that division closed down and they built a new
lab....

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Doug Miller writes:

Despite your delusions, WD-40 is not kerosene,
and neither is anything they sell in the paint aisle at big box stores.

Inquire at Home Depot or Lowes before commenting further.

See http://www.kleanstrip.com/ etc.

Show a little manly probity, and discontinue your jackal-jabber. Nobody
takes it seriously other than to perhaps log you as a fool.

Kinch, you still haven't figured out that "petroleum distillates" encompasses
a very large variety of compounds, only a very few of which can legitimately
be called "kerosene". WD-40 is not in that category. Neither is paint thinner.
The sooner you figure this out, the sooner you stop looking like an ass.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:29:06 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:46:32 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:54:05 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Filling stations sell it from pumps in rural, cold climates for heaters.

K1 is right at $6 a gallon here. From the bulk plant.

Yikes. I bought a year's contract @ $2.59/gal last summer; the last
delivery would have been $3.15 without the contract, but that was back
in the fall. The delivered cash price here in ME is $4.23 today. I
better make sure the tank is full when the contract runs out in May.

No, with that large a price differential you'd better save up cash
for a second tank to store what you've got now, and order at least one
more fill-up before the contract runs out in May - go right up to the
gallonage limits in the contract, if there are any... Tell them
you're running your oil fired forge and kiln a lot if they ask.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 23:44:48 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:37:54 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I got some parts I need to clean. I have gas and acetone, and a quart or so
of mineral spirits.

What's a good solvent for cleaning the exterior of carburetors, engine
parts, etc, in a sink or tub with a parts brush that won't eat your brain
out or blow you up? I have heard kerosene. Let me ask the dumb question,
where do you buy kerosene? I would think Ace or Home Depot, as they sell
the kerosene heaters. Is that right? And is kerosene a good cleaner?

Wish I had one of those parts washing sinks (SD?), but I'd use it about
twice a year. Sure are handy, though.

Steve

Simple Green.

And Id give you 2 washers with pumps and heaters for free if you were
close by.

Heated, as in the set up you need for running Simple Green or other
aqueous stuff the right way? Oh BABY I've gotta get up there, pencil
me in for one... Big Brudder is doing a Camping Club trip up to
Bakersfield 20th-ish of April, we'll have to plan a pass through to
Taft too.

And a Cat Scan at the gate... Might allow for one mellow pip on the
radar, two max. But no way 6, and no Type A Personalities and/or
showing propensities to taste-test stuff in the shop.

Already bought the Harbor Fright 20-gallon solvent tank and 10
gallons of ShellSol D40 which is supposed to be the Proper Stuff.

I tried the aqueous cleaner from Harbor Fright (2-butoxyethanol and
sodium metasilicate) and it didn't even /touch/ wheel bearing grease.
Gave up and used the "Old Faithful" - odorless paint thinner in a
coffee can - to get the truck back together.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:32:38 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

Kinch, you still haven't figured out that "petroleum distillates" encompasses
a very large variety of compounds, only a very few of which can legitimately
be called "kerosene". WD-40 is not in that category.

From the MSDS for WD-40 @
http://www.wd40.com/Download/?/Brand...40_bulk.us.pdf
Composition/Information on Ingredients
Ingredient CAS# Weight Percent
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 45-50
64742-48-9
64742-88-7

Petroleum Base Oil 64742-65-0 30-35

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 12-18

Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture 10

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
says CAS 64742-47-8 is "Low odor paraffinic solvent, Dearomatized
kerosine, Deodorized kerosene."

http://store.galladechem.com/
calls CAS 64742-48-9 "kerosene."

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jim Levie wrote:

Pete, what mix ratio did you use for the Simple Green and how
well did it clean? Did it remove the black carbon that's usually
in the barrel(s) of the carb?

The best way to clean a carb (or most other small parts) is with a
pail of carb cleaner.

Got two of them, 5 gallon size.

The best of those, in my opinion, are the ones
based on cresylic acid.

All I've been able to find in the last ten years is methylene
chloride. Works like crap. I've read the MSDSs for many so
called carb dunks and haven't come across the cresylic acid.
Sounds potent.

For washing with a brush, kerosene or diesel will work, but mineral
spirits works a bit better. In a parts washer Safety-Kleen is a bit
safer, firewise, and does a very good job.

Pete got me curious about the ultra sonic cleaner...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

Pete, what mix ratio did you use for the Simple Green and how
well did it clean? Did it remove the black carbon that's usually
in the barrel(s) of the carb?

I don't recall the exact ratio, fairly strong like 25% SG. No carbon in
this particular one, it was from a small pressure washer engine.

Thanks Pete. IIRC, the HF ultra sonic was pretty reasonably
priced.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:34:50 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Doug Miller writes:

Despite your delusions, WD-40 is not kerosene,
and neither is anything they sell in the paint aisle at big box stores.

Inquire at Home Depot or Lowes before commenting further.

See http://www.kleanstrip.com/ etc.

Saw that one coming! G That has to be the highest-priced K-1
around, but it is definitely kero.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller writes:

Despite your delusions, WD-40 is not kerosene,
and neither is anything they sell in the paint aisle at big box stores.

Inquire at Home Depot or Lowes before commenting further.

See
http://www.kleanstrip.com/ etc.

Show a little manly probity, and discontinue your jackal-jabber. Nobody
takes it seriously other than to perhaps log you as a fool.

Kinch, you still haven't figured out that "petroleum distillates" encompasses
a very large variety of compounds, only a very few of which can legitimately
be called "kerosene". WD-40 is not in that category. Neither is paint thinner.
The sooner you figure this out, the sooner you stop looking like an ass.

I have no idea what's in WD-40, but it sure works a treat for removing
some sticky substances. It's worse than worthless as either a
lubricant or a preservative, but it's good for that -- and it works
great as an attractant when sprayed on crappie jigs.

Am I getting cabin fever and thinkin' iceout, or whut?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ed Huntress writes:

Ah, my memory let me down. It was naptha that he told me was "white
gas," not Stoddard Solvent.

Naptha is a brand name for soap. Naphtha is the petroleum product.

If you say so. However, "Petroleum Naptha" is how it is referred to by
the Canadean Environment ministries, the Ontario Energy Board, and
Imperial oil. Among many other credible sources. In the USA Naphtha IS
the standard spelling (The Yanks leave letters out for just about
everything else, but throw in the duperfluous "H" to make naptha into
naphtha. Now they want to screw up NAFTA too - which they stuffed
down the throats of the rest of North America because it suited them.
Now that it looks like Canada and Mexico are winning, (which they MAY,
or may NOT) they are talking about changing it again

Seriously - nothing against our good neighbours to the south.

What, we're trying to change it to NAPHTA? It would probably be
NAPHTER but we wouldn't want to offend the gangsta minority.

I don't know if Canada is winning yet, but Mexico sure is! Funny how
illegal aliens drift north ...perhaps the Mexicans will eventually end
up in Canada like our draft-dodgers did a generation ago? Hope
springs eternal...

We seem to be following Canada's example in becoming increasingly
bilingual -- with English as a second language. "If you speak only
English, press 1 and your call will be transferred to Bangalore.
Welcome to 911, your call is very important to us."

A bit further south it might be something like,
"If y'll don't speak 'murrican, go to hell! If this is an emergency,
deal with it cuz Bubba's kinda busy raht now, hooo-eeee!"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:55:57 -0400, clare at snyder dot ontario dot
canada wrote:

"Mineral spirits," common paint thinner, is also known as Stoddard Solvent.
It's moderately active, somewhat less so than gasoline. A Coleman employee
once told me that this is what they used to sell as "white gasoline," but I
don't know that for a fact.

Definitely different stuff. Coleman fuel, or White Gas is Naptha. A
WHOLE LOT more flamable and volatile than Varsol or Stoddard Solvent.

Yup. What used to be "lighter fluid" was also nap(h)tha. I think
charcoal lighter might be that also.

White gas was once exactly that -- unleaded gasoline when the auto
fuel pumps were "leaded" and "extra leaded".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote

Interesting. SG is one of the recommended cleaners for SCUBA regulators
and components.

Interesting. When I was a commercial diver, we'd use Lysol in the
decompression chambers, and also as a spray to keep helmets from getting too
gamey. I hate the smell of that stuff to this day. Simple Green wasn't
around yet. I have worked on a lot of regulators and hats in my life.
Fairly delicate stuff, but not rocket surgery.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I got some parts I need to clean. I have gas and acetone, and a quart or
so
of mineral spirits.

What's a good solvent for cleaning the exterior of carburetors, engine
parts, etc, in a sink or tub with a parts brush that won't eat your brain
out or blow you up? I have heard kerosene. Let me ask the dumb
question,
where do you buy kerosene? I would think Ace or Home Depot, as they sell
the kerosene heaters. Is that right? And is kerosene a good cleaner?

Wish I had one of those parts washing sinks (SD?), but I'd use it about
twice a year. Sure are handy, though.

Steve

Simple Green.

And Id give you 2 washers with pumps and heaters for free if you were
close by.

I am now living farther away from you. Was going to go to visit some
friends in San Diego the first of March, but a change of plans. Now, with
gas the way it is, don't know when we'll make that trip again, as now it is
350 miles farther round trip. Will let you know if I am going that way, and
maybe we can hook up.

Still need bar grating. I only have the short bed truck, and don't want to
pull a trailer all that way to visit friends. Might be able to find some
short pieces that will fit in my 6.5' bed. They can be up to nine feet
without a flag.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote

- and it works
great as an attractant when sprayed on crappie jigs.

Sumperch! I'm trying to get my projects done and get some crappie at a lake
about ten miles from me. Got a Bass Buggy type small boat with electric
motor, and it's a small lake. The state record and catch and release record
crappie were BOTH from this lake.

WD 40 ............ woohoo. I'll take any advantage I can get. Jiggin with
a 12' Black Widow graphite pole for crappie in brush .......... doesn't get
any better than that. Unless, of course, you spray some WD 40 on there.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote

White gas was once exactly that -- unleaded gasoline when the auto
fuel pumps were "leaded" and "extra leaded".

And you bought it for your Coleman stuff.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:46:41 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

Doug Miller writes:

[...]

WD is mostly Stoddard solvent (damnear kero), but even your generic
vegetable oil works extremely well to remove most adhesive label
stickiness. Drip some on, wait 10, and wipe it off, all without the
perfume of WD.
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds...aerosol.us.pdf
Interestingly enough, the aero version is 15-25% base oil and the bulk
is 30-35% oil. It does, indeed contain a bit of oil!
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds-wd40_bulk.us.pdf

As to a lube, WD is not much of one. Use WD to free something and then
squirt an oil or grease in there. I like spray lithium grease. I've
been using it for window tracks, door hinges, locksets, and many other
things since I first saw it while working at the local Ford dealership
in Vista, ca 1979. Great schtuff, Maynard.

Am I getting cabin fever and thinkin' iceout, or whut?

What's "iceout", Don?

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From the MSDS for WD-40 @
http://www.wd40.com/Download/?/Brand...40_bulk.us.pdf
Composition/Information on Ingredients
Ingredient CAS# Weight Percent
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 45-50
64742-48-9
64742-88-7

Petroleum Base Oil 64742-65-0 30-35

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 12-18

Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture 10

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
says CAS 64742-47-8 is "Low odor paraffinic solvent, Dearomatized
kerosine, Deodorized kerosene."

http://store.galladechem.com/
calls CAS 64742-48-9 "kerosene."

Point, set and match.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

aarcuda69062 wrote:

In article ,
Jim Levie wrote:

Pete, what mix ratio did you use for the Simple Green and how
well did it clean? Did it remove the black carbon that's usually
in the barrel(s) of the carb?

The best way to clean a carb (or most other small parts) is with a
pail of carb cleaner.

Got two of them, 5 gallon size.

The best of those, in my opinion, are the ones
based on cresylic acid.

All I've been able to find in the last ten years is methylene
chloride. Works like crap. I've read the MSDSs for many so
called carb dunks and haven't come across the cresylic acid.
Sounds potent.

For washing with a brush, kerosene or diesel will work, but mineral
spirits works a bit better. In a parts washer Safety-Kleen is a bit
safer, firewise, and does a very good job.

Pete got me curious about the ultra sonic cleaner...

It's a pretty good unit. Harbor Freight 95563, 2.5L tank, 140 degree
heater, digital timer. If you wait for the sales and coupons you can get
it for $60-something which seems to be a pretty good deal. In testing it
blows holes in AL foil in a second so it seem to have sufficient
ultrasonic power. I've mentioned it here before and I recommend it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

aarcuda69062 wrote:

In article ,
"Pete C." wrote:

Pete, what mix ratio did you use for the Simple Green and how
well did it clean? Did it remove the black carbon that's usually
in the barrel(s) of the carb?

I don't recall the exact ratio, fairly strong like 25% SG. No carbon in
this particular one, it was from a small pressure washer engine.

Thanks Pete. IIRC, the HF ultra sonic was pretty reasonably
priced.

Yes, see my other post. It's "regular" price is around $100, but with
sales and coupons, $60-something is possible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

"Pete C." wrote

Interesting. SG is one of the recommended cleaners for SCUBA regulators
and components.

Interesting. When I was a commercial diver, we'd use Lysol in the
decompression chambers, and also as a spray to keep helmets from getting too
gamey. I hate the smell of that stuff to this day. Simple Green wasn't
around yet. I have worked on a lot of regulators and hats in my life.
Fairly delicate stuff, but not rocket surgery.

In the DSAT gas blender manual SG is one of the recommended pre-cleaners
for O2 cleaning components, with some more exotic cleaners indicated for
the final cleaning.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

canada wrote:
"Mineral spirits," common paint thinner, is also known as Stoddard Solvent.
It's moderately active, somewhat less so than gasoline. A Coleman employee
once told me that this is what they used to sell as "white gasoline," but I
don't know that for a fact.

Definitely different stuff. Coleman fuel, or White Gas is Naptha. A
WHOLE LOT more flamable and volatile than Varsol or Stoddard Solvent.

Yup. What used to be "lighter fluid" was also nap(h)tha. I think
charcoal lighter might be that also.

White gas was once exactly that -- unleaded gasoline when the auto
fuel pumps were "leaded" and "extra leaded".

In the 50s, gasoline would cause a coleman stove to misbehave
in a rather dangerous way - a LOT more volatile than the "white gas"
aka naphtha the stove (and lamps etc.) required.

Lighter fluid did NOT smell like naphtha for the Coleman, but more
like kerosene.

Coal oil as I recall, had less odor and burned with less soot and more
light than kero.

Coleman fuel today, I find very useful as a solvent, but also use
deodorized kero / lamp oil, alcohol, lacquer thinner, acetone,
MEK and a couple of others, depending on how stubborn the "stuff"
on abused clock movements has become.

I particularly HATE WD40 residue, which is quite waxy and needs
perchloroethylene at times, to dissolve. Works for candle wax,
too. and on the liver.... / mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

However, "Petroleum Naptha" is how it is referred to by
the Canadean Environment ministries, the Ontario Energy Board, and
Imperial oil.

That may be, but that is a slovenly corruption of the spelling, which
follows a natural mispronunciation. Kind of like people say

op-tha-mologist (incorrect but easy)

instead of

oph-thal-mologist (correct but clumsy)

And thus

nap-tha (incorrect but easier)

instead of

naf-tha (correct but not as easy)

See _The American Heritage® Book of English Usage_, 1996:

... with diphtheria, diphthong, and naphtha, the ph should properly be
pronounced (f), not (p). Because so many people say (p-), as opposed
to (f-), though, this variant has gradually become acceptable.

(I dedicate this post to the memory of the late Wm F Buckley.)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good find, Ned. Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From the MSDS for WD-40 @
http://www.wd40.com/Download/?/Brand...40_bulk.us.pdf
Composition/Information on Ingredients
Ingredient CAS# Weight Percent
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 45-50
64742-48-9
64742-88-7

Petroleum Base Oil 64742-65-0 30-35

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 12-18

Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture 10

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
says CAS 64742-47-8 is "Low odor paraffinic solvent, Dearomatized
kerosine, Deodorized kerosene."

http://store.galladechem.com/
calls CAS 64742-48-9 "kerosene."

Correct. About 60% kerosene in one form or other. about 15% oil.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 19 Mar, 02:54, Richard J Kinch wrote:

Diesel fuel is close enough for degreasing applications.

Here in the UK, tax-paid road diesel (DERV), even at our extortionate
fuel tax rates, is cheaper than low-grade kerosene in gallon cans.

Home heating oil is cheap, and perfectly adequate - if you've access.

I use second-hand Jet-A1 from drained aircraft tanks. It's cleaner
than stuff I've bought from garages, and they want rid of it as
otherwise it's just chemical waste.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 19 Mar, 02:54, Richard J Kinch wrote:

Diesel fuel is close enough for degreasing applications.

Here in the UK, tax-paid road diesel (DERV), even at our extortionate
fuel tax rates, is cheaper than low-grade kerosene in gallon cans.

You don't pay for cans that way.

Home heating oil is cheap, and perfectly adequate - if you've access.

I use second-hand Jet-A1 from drained aircraft tanks. It's cleaner
than stuff I've bought from garages, and they want rid of it as
otherwise it's just chemical waste.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From the MSDS for WD-40 @
http://www.wd40.com/Download/?/Brand...40_bulk.us.pdf
Composition/Information on Ingredients
Ingredient CAS# Weight Percent
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 45-50
64742-48-9
64742-88-7

Petroleum Base Oil 64742-65-0 30-35

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 12-18

Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture 10

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
says CAS 64742-47-8 is "Low odor paraffinic solvent, Dearomatized
kerosine, Deodorized kerosene."

http://store.galladechem.com/
calls CAS 64742-48-9 "kerosene."

In other words, it's mostly *not* kerosene.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

From the MSDS for WD-40 @
http://www.wd40.com/Download/?/Brand...40_bulk.us.pdf
Composition/Information on Ingredients
Ingredient CAS# Weight Percent
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 45-50
64742-48-9
64742-88-7

Petroleum Base Oil 64742-65-0 30-35

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 12-18

Non-Hazardous Ingredients Mixture 10

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
says CAS 64742-47-8 is "Low odor paraffinic solvent, Dearomatized
kerosine, Deodorized kerosene."

http://store.galladechem.com/
calls CAS 64742-48-9 "kerosene."

Point, set and match.

Guess you didn't read it any more carefully than Ned did... *Some* of the
components in WD-40 are kerosene, to be sure. But WD-40 and kerosene are not
the same thing, Richard Kinch's delusions to the contrary.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Good find, Ned. Thanks.

And you didn't read it any more carefully than Ned and Gunner did...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

No. Up front by the heaters

In Florida?

In Texas

Solvent david west UK diy 4 January 3rd 07 08:11 PM
M.E.K. solvent cement (where to get) CampinGazz UK diy 12 March 3rd 06 09:25 AM
Cleaning solvent for silicone spray lubricant Norm Dresner Metalworking 2 February 24th 06 01:04 AM
Solvent cleaning NO!NO! Steve Metalworking 12 January 28th 06 02:15 PM
Ski wax solvent Big Ron UK diy 8 January 2nd 06 11:47 PM