Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Cleaning solvent

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:59:58 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Ed Huntress writes:

Ah, my memory let me down. It was naptha that he told me was "white
gas," not Stoddard Solvent.

Naptha is a brand name for soap. Naphtha is the petroleum product.

If you say so. However, "Petroleum Naptha" is how it is referred to by
the Canadean Environment ministries, the Ontario Energy Board, and
Imperial oil. Among many other credible sources. In the USA Naphtha IS
the standard spelling (The Yanks leave letters out for just about
everything else, but throw in the duperfluous "H" to make naptha into
naphtha. Now they want to screw up NAFTA too - which they stuffed
down the throats of the rest of North America because it suited them.
Now that it looks like Canada and Mexico are winning, (which they MAY,
or may NOT) they are talking about changing it again

Seriously - nothing against our good neighbours to the south.

Coleman fuel is indeed like gasoline in weight and volatility, not
kerosene. Roughly hexane in my estimate, and very aliphatic and clean of
aromatic hydrocarbons and sulfur. Next to no heavy stuff that leaves a
residue. Wipe it on glass and see. Excellent cleaner if you observe
proper cautions; I use it in a quart Sure-Shot every day.

Naphtha is a non-specific term, but the "VM&P" (varnish makers' and
painters') naphtha is like Coleman fuel, as is necessary for making a fast-
drying and low-residue paint solvent.

I'm kicking myself for not stocking up on Coleman fuel when the store
shelves had it for $2/gallon when gas first spiked over $3 a few years
back. With the packaging and handling, Coleman fuel is typically about
twice the gasoline price, and the retail lag is something to be finessed.