Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
aarcuda69062 aarcuda69062 is offline

Default Cleaning solvent

In article ,
Jim Levie wrote:

Pete, what mix ratio did you use for the Simple Green and how
well did it clean? Did it remove the black carbon that's usually
in the barrel(s) of the carb?

The best way to clean a carb (or most other small parts) is with a
pail of carb cleaner.

Got two of them, 5 gallon size.

The best of those, in my opinion, are the ones
based on cresylic acid.

All I've been able to find in the last ten years is methylene
chloride. Works like crap. I've read the MSDSs for many so
called carb dunks and haven't come across the cresylic acid.
Sounds potent.

For washing with a brush, kerosene or diesel will work, but mineral
spirits works a bit better. In a parts washer Safety-Kleen is a bit
safer, firewise, and does a very good job.

Pete got me curious about the ultra sonic cleaner...