Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default source for motor brushes?

Hi all,
Is it just around here (NE Massachusetts) that it seems that no place
seems to sell replacement brushes for motors anymore? Used to be that
every rinky-dink hardware store around at least a small assortment to
look through. Now no place seems to.

I need brushes for a 3/4 HP 90V DC motor. It is a rectangular brush,
the face that runs on the commutator is 0.312" X 0.625" and it has a
shunt (the little copper wire & metal contact) and spring attached. I do
not know what the length is supposed to be offhand, but it would not
seem such a difficult thing to find. I tried the biggest old-tyme
hardware store around here (goes way back to the mill fabric mill era, 7
HUGE creaking floors of stuff, some of which I'm sure has not been
sold in 30 years, etc.), they don't carry them. I even tried the local
motor service and rebuilder guy, good size shop, he rewinds motors for
the place I work all the time. He does not stock them! WHAT?!?!

I found a few places on the web, but at least the ones I found were
not the sort of places that would deal in 2 or 4 pc quantities.

Any of you guys have a secret source or a hot lead for me?

Thanks for any ideas.

AL A.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:31:42 -0500, "Al A."
wrote:

[...]

What is the motor out of (or off of)?
I'm guessing a treadmill
If the manufacturer is still in business and in this country, they
should have them available. If offshore, and handled by a reputable
distributor THEY should have the.
If not, try an auto-electric shop or motor shop and get the next
largest size and work them down to fit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

What is the motor out of (or off of)?
I'm guessing a treadmill
If the manufacturer is still in business and in this country, they
should have them available. If offshore, and handled by a reputable
distributor THEY should have the.
If not, try an auto-electric shop or motor shop and get the next
largest size and work them down to fit.

Thanks for the reply. I should have included this info, but it is not
out of treadmill. The motor is an industrial TEFC C-face unit that used
to be attached to a right angle gear reducer of some sort. IIRC the
motor is labeled "Boston Gear", but the gearbox is long gone. I think my
next step may be to try to dope out the model number (nameplate is
pretty beat up) and see if Boston Gear can help.

I guess I am hoping one of you guys will say "...Oh yeah, just call
here and tell Bob what you need...."

thanks again,
AL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al A. wrote:
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

[...]

you need to try a hand power tool shop . Black an dDecker, Makita, Bosch
there are hundreds of brush type motors going back 50 yrs with all sorts
of sizes of brush. As Clare said get some that are bigger and work down
on some sand paper on aflat surface till youve the same size as the
originals.
I do this on old power tools I still want to use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Funny you should mention the funky old shop. I was at one of those this
morning, looking for brushes for a 3/4 HP Dayton 90 volt. I tried
Grainger, they can get them but had a $50 minimum since it was a factory
order. I wound up paying $20 for a pair of 1/4"x5/8" brushes, thought
that was a bit steep. But beggars can't be choosers.

I stopped at my super complete hardware store for these last fall,
I *think* I recall seeing some 3/16"x5/8" brush/wire assemblies in their
bins for $3.50 each. If no one else has a better idea, I suppose I could
stop back and check size, availability, and source.

Al A. wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

� Any of you guys have a secret source or a hot lead for me?

Thanks for any ideas.

AL A.

I had the same problem. I called an electric motor repair shop and
they referred me to the next door tool repair shop. I took the brushes
and the motor in and walked out 5 minutes later with what I wanted.
$4.80

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Try giving Piela Electric in Preston, CT a call. The should be open
in the morning till about noon. 860 889 8476. They seem to have ALL
things electrical and mechanical.

If they have them and are not able to send them out to you I could
pick them up on Monday or Tuesday afternoon and mail them off.

Errol Groff
Preston, CT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al A. wrote:
... I tried the biggest old-tyme
hardware store around here (goes way back to the mill fabric mill era, 7
HUGE creaking floors of stuff, some of which I'm sure has not been sold
in 30 years, etc.), ...

Ah, that would be McKittrick's - incredible place.

I have seen them at O'Connor's in Billerica. 'Can't remember how long
ago, but if I needed them, that's where I'd go.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I had not thought of a tool place,
that's an option to try. I figured that I may have to sand some to fit,
but the few I found at one small local HW store were all too small in
one dimension or the other. It looked like they had just a few stray
boxes with no plans to reorder. All of the on-line places had the same
issue as Graingers, large minimums, etc.

I am not in a panic for these, I just have this really nice DC motor
that I think may be just the thing for an old vertical bandsaw I'm
cleaning up. I have a nice speed control for it and hate to see it go
unused for want of a couple of dumb brushes.

Roy and Errol, thanks for the offers to help out, much appreciated.
I'm going to do a bit more local hunting, if that does not pan out, I
may be in touch.

And Yes, Bob E., it was McKitterick's. It is like a trip back in time
there, especially if they have to take you a few floors down in that
OLD (OLD,OLD...) freight elevator. The place could be a museum. Thanks
for mentioning O'connors, I should have thought of that. Maybe take a
ride out there tomorrow and check.

Thanks again!

-AL A.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maybe this outfit---Midwest Fasteners

http://www.fastenerconnection.com/fu....asp?q=brushes

Around here they have a whole aisle of stuff at the local
farm supply store. A little
spendy, but when I need one or two of something it's usually
there somewhere.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Al A." wrote in message
[...]

Check if there is a place that repairs vacuum cleaners, sewing machines, or
small appliances such as mixers and blenders. These generally use brush type
motors. Automobile alternators also use similar brushes.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:50:21 -0600, "Don Young"
wrote:

"Al A." wrote in message
[...]

But all of these are WAY too small for the motor in question.
Electric lawn mowers, power saws, automotive starters, tradmill
motors, etc will have a better chance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:50:00 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks for any ideas.

AL A.

What is the motor out of (or off of)?
I'm guessing a treadmill
If the manufacturer is still in business and in this country, they
should have them available. If offshore, and handled by a reputable
distributor THEY should have the.
If not, try an auto-electric shop or motor shop and get the next
largest size and work them down to fit.

How many treadmill motors does he want? I think Im down to 15 or so.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 25, 3:31*pm, "Al A." wrote:
[...]

Have you tried ACE Hardware? I needed some special brushes and I
checked at the local ACE mostly for information concerning where I
might be able to find a good selection. They showed me the brushes
which they had and I was amazed at the number they had in stock.

In your case, I'm sure you may need to get brushes which are close in
size and then sand them down to the size you need. I ordered brushes
which were made for my motor and I still needed to touch them up to
make them fit properly.

Have a nice day

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al A. wrote:
[...]

You could try GraphiteStore.com
http://www.graphitestore.com/cat.asp/spcat_id/3 as they seem to have a
large selection. I don't know whether they have a minimum order.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Do you have a local automobile alternator/generator shop?.

Those guys will GIVE you all the used brushs you need..... all you need to
do is cut to size... hack saw and file work...

I did this when the brushs on my 60 year old 30 amp Variac died...

--.- Dave

"Al A." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dick wrote:

Have you tried ACE Hardware? I needed some special brushes and I
checked at the local ACE mostly for information concerning where I
might be able to find a good selection. They showed me the brushes
which they had and I was amazed at the number they had in stock.

In your case, I'm sure you may need to get brushes which are close in
size and then sand them down to the size you need. I ordered brushes
which were made for my motor and I still needed to touch them up to
make them fit properly.

Have a nice day

Dick

I tried a couple of ACE hardware places here, they all seemed to not
have them anymore. I remember that all had those assortments in little
yellow bin boxes. One guy told me he stopped carrying them when they
sold out, nobody ever asked for them. Must be something in the water
around here...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
Al A. wrote:

You could try GraphiteStore.com
http://www.graphitestore.com/cat.asp/spcat_id/3 as they seem to have a
large selection. I don't know whether they have a minimum order.

David,
Thanks for that link. That is one of those
never-know-when-I'll-need-that sources. They don't mention any minimum
order on their "terms & conditions" page, I may shoot them an email and
check on that.

Thanks,
AL A.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dave August wrote:
Do you have a local automobile alternator/generator shop?.

Those guys will GIVE you all the used brushs you need..... all you need to
do is cut to size... hack saw and file work...

I did this when the brushs on my 60 year old 30 amp Variac died...

--.- Dave

Thanks Dave. There are a few of those places around. Someone else
mentioned that also. I'll have to visit a few of them on my way home
from work next week.

Appreciate the reply.

-AL A.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The real trick on brushes is the spring and contact size.
If the graphite is larger. Get one that is larger and file it down.
Simple as that.

That was the way when metric ones needed replacement and none were to be
found.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

"Al A." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

No prob Al, Glad to be of some help

FYI When the Variac blew I called "Standard Power" .. When I asked about
brushs, the laughter about the age of the Variac was too funny, and of
course the answer was not only NO. but that brushs and a holder for a newer
model that I'd have to modify was gonna be $150.00 ++... I balked... They
pointed me at some old geezer up in Oakland CA (I'm in Monterey) who they
said *might* be of help...

I called...he was obviously a COG (Crusty Old Geezer).. Wondered what I
used it for.. I said .."Uh... it powers my BridgePort".. His tone of voice
changed INSTANY and the the old guy says.. "Well jeez, go git a alternator
shop and make yer own, thats what I do..." !!!!!!

I hit the local alternator shop and it's too funny for words... EVERYTHING
including the guy who ran it was covered in black carbon.. I ask about
buying some brushs.. he says "show me the alternator".. I say.. "uh... it
for experiments".. he points to a HUGE pile (I'm not kidding 3 feet around
and 3 feet high) of used ones and says.. :take any of them ya want for
free".... :-))))

--.- Dave

"Al A." wrote in message
. ..
Dave August wrote:
Do you have a local automobile alternator/generator shop?.

Those guys will GIVE you all the used brushs you need..... all you need
to do is cut to size... hack saw and file work...

I did this when the brushs on my 60 year old 30 amp Variac died...

--.- Dave

Thanks Dave. There are a few of those places around. Someone else
mentioned that also. I'll have to visit a few of them on my way home from
work next week.

Appreciate the reply.

-AL A.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:59:50 GMT, "Dave August"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds like the time I needed to repair a chart recorder - the hub
mechanism that held the paper disc in place had been modified 18 times
too often. I called the manufacturer, and over the next half hour,
reached the old geezer who had stayed around to sweep floors because
he didn't have anything else to do. To make a long story short, I
received the last remaining hub in the mail, free of charge - because
the price marked on the paper envelope read $0.18, and they didn't
want to bother invoicing that amount to the Government of Canada.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DT DT is offline

I need brushes for a 3/4 HP 90V DC motor. It is a rectangular brush, the
face that runs on the commutator is 0.312" X 0.625" and it has a shunt
(the little copper wire & metal contact) and spring attached

I was at my local Sears Hardware again today. They have 30 different brushes
with springs, labeled by size. I forgot what size you were looking for, but
many are about that size.

--
Dennis