Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff Errol Groff is offline

Default source for motor brushes?

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:31:42 -0500, "Al A."
wrote:

Hi all,
Is it just around here (NE Massachusetts) that it seems that no place
seems to sell replacement brushes for motors anymore? Used to be that
every rinky-dink hardware store around at least a small assortment to
look through. Now no place seems to.

I need brushes for a 3/4 HP 90V DC motor. It is a rectangular brush,
the face that runs on the commutator is 0.312" X 0.625" and it has a
shunt (the little copper wire & metal contact) and spring attached. I do
not know what the length is supposed to be offhand, but it would not
seem such a difficult thing to find. I tried the biggest old-tyme
hardware store around here (goes way back to the mill fabric mill era, 7
HUGE creaking floors of stuff, some of which I'm sure has not been
sold in 30 years, etc.), they don't carry them. I even tried the local
motor service and rebuilder guy, good size shop, he rewinds motors for
the place I work all the time. He does not stock them! WHAT?!?!

I found a few places on the web, but at least the ones I found were
not the sort of places that would deal in 2 or 4 pc quantities.

Any of you guys have a secret source or a hot lead for me?

Thanks for any ideas.

AL A.

Try giving Piela Electric in Preston, CT a call. The should be open
in the morning till about noon. 860 889 8476. They seem to have ALL
things electrical and mechanical.

If they have them and are not able to send them out to you I could
pick them up on Monday or Tuesday afternoon and mail them off.

Errol Groff
Preston, CT